• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recommend a cleaner for CARC paint?

On my door mirrors and fenders, I have tree sap/residue stained into the paint it seems. I've tried most cleaners (dish soap, goo gone, M-P degreasers, Simple Green, purple power, etc etc). I even used my pressure washer (with adjustable pressure nozzle which did a GREAT job of getting off all the "set in" dirt and grime from the paint. If i use any more pressure on the sap areas, I would start taking the paint off. I know it's just a little minor thing but it is driving me crazy not being able to get this to come clean! Any of you guys have any recommendations on methods/cleaners to try?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340923213.149138.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1340923227.771533.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1340923241.947108.jpg

Woodsplinter

Have you tried anything like mineral spirits or lacquer thinner? Mineral spirits is not very aggressive to the paint but lacquer thinner will be. I would test a small inconspicuous area first.
Also I've noticed the military uses dry cleaning fluid as a parts degreaser. I've never used it but thought I'd throw it out as a possibility.

Hope this helps! :smile:

cpf240

I have not tried it on tree sap, but brake cleaner worked great on my truck. My wife has a coworker who was in the service, and he said they were told to wipe them down with straight diesel.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake cleaner gets the GL white grease pencil off. Don't use a red shop rag. It takes more scrubbing with a white towel and brake cleaner to get the red off. :roll:

mudman

For a quick "Spit Shine"...try a little deisel on a rag. This is what is used for a quick inspection shine. should cover up the sap and blend everything in together.!!

edpdx

I was at a full service car wash. The guy doing the final hand dry was spraying some stuff from a yard sprayer on the paint behind the fender wells. It smelled like lighter fluid. He told me it was Naptha- same stuff. Home Depot has it in the paint dept. I have been using it to remove stubborn car paint stains since. Tar and sap no prob. Bird droppings- HOT water is the ticket. Cat paws- airsoft.

Haha Forgot to mention that Thanks Tow4 Good point

Brake cleaner gets the GL white grease pencil off. Don't use a red shop rag. It takes more scrubbing with a white towel and brake cleaner to get the red off. :roll:

Ha ha i dont feel bad now the non chlorinated brake cleaner doesnt stink as bad as diesel lol but hey if it works it works :]

Btw Wood splinter that would be the worse case lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks