• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recommendations for a fairly long drive

Vexiis

Good Morning Everyone, this weekend I might be a new owner of an M1009. If everything checks out reasonably on it I plan on buying one, however I am trying to figure out what I should check or bring with me for the potential drive home. If I purchase it I will need to drive it ~780 miles back home. Here is my current list of items to check:

1) Oil
2) Coolant level
3) Glow Plugs and wait light are working

I figure I will probably need to stop and start it ~6 times total counting the night at the hotel, getting gas and rest stops. What are any recommendations for other things to check or things I need to be aware of?
The traveling will be in decent weather, the forecast puts temps around 20's at night and 60+ in the day.

I know the oil was changed in the last 500 miles, and there is a new glow plug controller.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find out what type of fuel filter it has and buy a spare. Learn how to bleed the air in the fuel system before you leave. The Tech Manuals have a detailed procedure and there are videos posted.

And have a backup plan. Towing service or credit card.

How are the tires?

Last edited:

Vexiis

It has the factory box fuel filter right now, I read the TM and watched a video on how to swap it. (disconnect the pink wire when cranking). The tires in pictures look to have plenty of tread, I believe they are 37x12.5x16.5 Wrangler MT's.
Backup plan if needed is to ship the truck and get a rental, I think towing would be too expensive.

Assel

When I bought mine, I did a test drive for about half an our, Highway, Offroad, everything ... just to check if everythings working fine.

though I wasnt expecting me to buy it (but I felt in Love with that CUCV, so I had to buy it) I had nothing with me, all I needed (nd all I had with me) for 400km way Home was only the Diesel I got at the next gas station.

I carry now always with me: Fire Extinguisher,small bottle of 2 Stroke Oil (to mix with the Diesel - 250ml each tank filled, to lube the Injection Pump) Engine Oil, Jumper Cables, Some Tools, Coolant, Transmission Fluid (DEX III), a hose for bleeding Fuel system, Fuel Filter (in cold condidition it may clogg) and some Fuses. I never needed anything of these yet (drove some 300-500km trips) ..but I feel safer with carrying this stuff in a small box with me (Fire extinguisher is directly under the drivers seat)

be sure to check the transmission fluid, engine hot & idling, should be short under max. mark. not above it. test how it smells, if it seems to smell like burned up, be aware..there might be something wrong with the transmission.

With the CUCV not in a complete desolate shape it should be possible to drive it home on its own power - maybe a friend with towing equipment stays on alert to catch you up...id rather spend some beers on a friend than some bucks on a random recovery :D

Good Luck with your M1009

evldoer

I would pick up a new set of V belts for it. That's something that will leave you sitting on the side of the road. Dont ask me how I know.

Assel

I forgot to give you another advice: do some random stops to check everything! Transmission fluid, leakage, hot wheel centres (stuck brakes! especially the parking brake)

Assel

Its easy, park on level ground, pull the dipstick out, wipe it with a rag, stick back in, get it out again and check the level. Engine & Transmission should be warm and shifted to "P" you can go through all shift positions first and then wait a bit to get a clearer result. if you check cold it shoud be slightly at the "ADD" mark, but it should always be checked warm, then you will get the safe result, for sure checking if something is in there before starting up ^^ its found at the passengers side of the Aircleaner . the engine oil dipstick is at drivers side, its red and you cant miss it, the one for transmission is not painted, just metal.

Vexiis

Thank you very much Assel!

As someone asked earlier if I had a backup, I was thinking of renting a uhaul and tow dolly. If I did that, as long as I put the truck in Neutral and the np-208 in neutral I should be safe right?

turnkey

Just a thought . If you have time and alittle extra cash,take her to a jiffy lube or place as such...Get a complete service..Fluids and filters....Semi-truck stop works good too ...They well look the extra mile for you ..and spot any leaks for you...Got my M35A2 checked at a truck shop...500 bucks ..which included the parts needed to fix a clog fuel filter and fuse for front lights. Best of luck on the trip...Always help to read and head the TMs. and the videos..Great stuff...

cucvrus

Thank you very much Assel!

As someone asked earlier if I had a backup, I was thinking of renting a uhaul and tow dolly. If I did that, as long as I put the truck in Neutral and the np-208 in neutral I should be safe right?
To be truly safe. I would check the gear oil in the rear axle and disconnect the rear drive shaft. That is what I always do when towing them. Better safe then sorry. 7/16" wrench , 2 -30" HD wire ties, a roll of duct tape and a pry bar. Tape the u joint caps and wire tie the drive shaft up to the cross member real good. Be safe. good Luck.

Ilikemtb999

I did a 1,000 mile trip when I moved from chicago to denver over the summer. I brought, jumper cables, spare belts, spare fuel filter, general tools, air compressor (have an mv50). I also wired up a cigarette lighter so I could keep my phone charged. Only thing I wish I would of brought was a jumper box. My only casualty was my radio failing but that was "fixed" by purchasing a wireless speaker to hook up to my phone :driver:

Al Harvey

Might want to think about some fuel line (1/4" and 5/16" if I remember correct and clamps), diesel fuel treatment, and maybe an electric diesel pump just in case. Don't forget to check all the lights, and if you don't know, make sure you know how to operate the lights.

If you tow it back with a dolly, remove the rear driveshaft at the axle and secure it up.

dirtdobber

Unfortunately no one will be following me, it will be just me. Which is really the only reason I am slightly concerned.
Make sure you have an emergency bag packed with items such as flash light, charged cell phone,contact numbers,snacks,blanket and water. If you have to have repairs or towing, cash will get you a better deal also.

Ilikemtb999

Might want to think about some fuel line (1/4" and 5/16" if I remember correct and clamps), diesel fuel treatment, and maybe an electric diesel pump just in case. Don't forget to check all the lights, and if you don't know, make sure you know how to operate the lights.

If you tow it back with a dolly, remove the rear driveshaft at the axle and secure it up.
Ah yes I forgot to say fuel/vacuum line. I always keep a bunch in my truck and have used it on occasion (silly trans vacuum tube)

Skinny

Wow, you guys are more brave than me. I'd write the check and have it delivered!

I would also add ear plugs to the list. I made it about 250 miles before mine started to bleed. Best 99 cents I ever spent on the old girl.

tim292stro

If you can have someone who is familiar with CUCV's come out with you it would be a value add. Check out the member map and locate people for SS along your potential route. Have a fully charged cell phone and credit card handy...

Flashlight, basic hand tools, electrical tape, zip-ties, fuses, belts, filters, fluids, sometimes batteries (a booster pack can be a stand-in, if you alternators work).

Others have said the rest the best.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks