• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recommended coolant?

I'm going to drain and replace the coolant in my M35a3 over the weekend. Is there a recommended type of coolant or is "prestone", etc ok to use? I looked in the TM but could only find the capacities, etc.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not ask a Cat dealer?

You already have one wrong answer posted.

You should use a diesel rated coolant.

I was looking to not pay my Cat dealer for Cat priced coolant. I guess I should have stated that I understood about the additives. I just left Napa with some diesel rated pre-mixed coolant.

They tested my coolant for me to make sure there was nothing in it also.

Thanks for the help!

zout

Does the internal natural reaction from your CAT cause static electricity that will eat away at your piston liners ??? if it does not have DCA in the DIESEL COOLANT it can eat holes right through them pretty CAT piston liners - that is if it takes it. What does Your TM's say about coolant ?

I use a 50/50 extended life diesel coolant - but eh - mine is a multifuel.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not suggest you buy from your Cat dealer, simply ask what is correct.

It helps to be specific, to get a specific answer.

Last edited:

HDN

This week I'm going to remove the cab heater coil since it is leaking and I want to try to repair it. The unit maintenance manual says that the cooling system needs to be drained for this. I'm tempted to leave the heater valve closed and take my chances, but my real chances are that I'll disconnect the heater hoses and I'll have to fight with keeping seven gallons of coolant off the cab floor!

With that being said, I asked my local Cat dealer what type of coolant the 3116 is supposed to use. The dealer's parts guy said the preferred coolant needs to meet Cat EC-1 spec. Acceptable coolants need to meet ASTM D4985 or D6210 spec. I attached coolant info from the Cat dealer to this post (should also be helpful to those who have the FMTV).

I've never flushed coolant before, especially on a big truck. Is it a matter of feeding water from the garden hose through the surge tank, or is it something I'm best not doing at this point? I haven't noticed any temperature issues running the truck, even after topping it off with two gallons of NOAT stuff I got from Tractor Supply.

Attachments

sue

This week I'm going to remove the cab heater coil since it is leaking and I want to try to repair it. The unit maintenance manual says that the cooling system needs to be drained for this. I'm tempted to leave the heater valve closed and take my chances, but my real chances are that I'll disconnect the heater hoses and I'll have to fight with keeping seven gallons of coolant off the cab floor!

With that being said, I asked my local Cat dealer what type of coolant the 3116 is supposed to use. The dealer's parts guy said the preferred coolant needs to meet Cat EC-1 spec. Acceptable coolants need to meet ASTM D4985 or D6210 spec. I attached coolant info from the Cat dealer to this post (should also be helpful to those who have the FMTV).

I've never flushed coolant before, especially on a big truck. Is it a matter of feeding water from the garden hose through the surge tank, or is it something I'm best not doing at this point? I haven't noticed any temperature issues running the truck, even after topping it off with two gallons of NOAT stuff I got from Tractor Supply.
Don’t forget filling with distilled water.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks