• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recommended differential covers - robust/welded plate construction

nudewheeler

Howdy Folks!

Both front and rear diff covers are pissing fluid. Just replaced fluid not too long ago in both axles, smeared a very liberal coating of RTV to seal things up. Apparently that didn't quite work. The rear diff cover is peeling rearwards at the bottom (draggin on something on the trail) and the front is a bit banged up as well.

Figured I'd just pick up some new diff covers front and rear. I've seen many very robustly constructed diff covers in some of the Peterson's magazines. Looking for something quite robust that won't peel like the stamped, thinner gauge stock diff covers do if they get banged up along the trail. I like the idea of some of these diff covers being constructed out of 1/4"+ welded plates.

Anyone have recommendable experience with any robust diff covers?

Thanks in advance!

nudewheeler

Forgot to add vehicle details - my apologies! M1009 with stock GM 10 bolts.

Just checked out wfo and diy4x. Look like bombtastic covers - for DANA axles and GM14 bolts. No 10 bolt covers :cry:

ODdave

Im suprized the front had an issue (its thick)

What about trimming the bottom lip on the rear one so it dosnt protrude past the casting?

IMO, 10bolts are not worth buying $100's dollars worth of covers for.

USAWEAPON777

Yea the bottom line is 10 bolts are considered junk in most of the offroad community short of going into very lightweight rigs. So no offroad companies really want to make a lot of aftermarket parts for it.

nudewheeler

Until they break, I'm running the stock 10 bolts.

I've still got to get the 4" lift kit on with greasable suspension, AC system finished, tranny work, POR-15 the entire inside then hushmat, tuffy box install, stereo, dash cap installed, stop the rain leaks etc etc. BTW, Anyone in the Tucson area want to wrench and drink beer on the weekends?

Won't be seeing hardcore trails yet. If a 10 bolt snaps, I get a 14 bolt.

Closure to my original question. Referenced a Peterson's edition and found this solution:

Rear diff covers

Front diff covers

Hope this helps!