• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recommended mechanic to change timing chain on 6.2i would do it if I had the time

Keith_J

The boy's M1009 with 71k on the odometer developed a slack timing chain noise yesterday, it only happens at idle.

anyone have a recommended mechanic in the central Texas area? New Braunfels to Boerne, north of San Antonio. Don't want to go more than 50 miles.
I would do it if I had the time and didn't have a bum arm.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hendrix on 281. They worked on my 1009 when I lost a drive shaft. I was driving down the road when it dropped and just put it in 4 HI and leaked a trail of tranny fluid into their driveway.

cucvrus

I think that noise may be normal at idle. I always think they have strange sounds at idle. Open the oil cap and listen to the horrid sounds coming out of there. You would swear the engine is flying apart.

Keith_J

Noise is recently developed and quite loud. Compared to my M1031, it is disturbing. We got it down to pulling the coolant pump tonight. I have to search for a local source of timing gears and chain. I am certain of the issue.

Keith_J

Just peered in on the timing chain through injection pump gears, it is very loose on the sprockets. So I am convinced of the problem.

cucvrus

Get pictures when you do. I had one with a broken crank shaft that still ran and the only time it made the loud noise was at idle and when I left off the fuel. It drove fine. I broke it on I 81 north in southern Virginia and made it home to PA. It was broken in the front section at a main bearing. That was 20 years ago I vaguely member exactly where. I was able to pull the engine and change the crank and put the engine back in and run it after that. Never had any issues with it after that.

Keith_J

Pretty sure the crank is fine, I have been using the damper bolt to set e injection pump gears in time, no play or roughness in either direction. The engine has a new damper installed two years and 12 k miles ago, the new damper is an Australian made unit from the Irish parts store. So it has to be good.

right now, we are struggling with the timing chain cover. Got the baffle pulled along with the oil pan screws and all other hardware. Just no nice pry points.

Edit to add:
a few love taps with a mallet and some prying got it off. Little bend on the front of the oil pan but I should be able to get that straight. Now to get parts. About 7/8" of slop in the chain so that is the issue. Going with a full set, chain and both sprockets.

Und now it is time on Sprocketts when we dance:grin:

Attachments

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The engine has a new damper installed two years and 12 k miles ago, the new damper is an Australian made unit from the Irish parts store. So it has to be good...... Now to get parts. About 7/8" of slop in the chain so that is the issue. Going with a full set, chain and both sprockets.
I like the Australian made unit from the Irish store.
Anyhow it is better built than the back of this Audi.
back of an Audi IMG_5978.jpg

Keith_J

That is the front end of an Audi engine. Crazy complex. We stopped at 1300 after setting timing precisely. Had it off 180 degrees.

Keith_J

Is Locktite 518 the correct sealant for the timing chain cover? It looks about right, TM calls for anaerobic sealant. And looks like the oil pan front is RTV.

The good news is the new sprockets and chain are installed. The old set had over 7/8" of slop, the new one less than 3/16". Naturally this made removal easier than install of the new parts.

And yes, I flubbed setting the timing on removal, 180 degrees out on the crank. So that is how the parts went on, just marked the 180 degree tooth on the cam sprocket and went with it.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Almost ready to fire it up. The radiator is a bit clogged so we are waiting for the brown Santa to deliver the new one. Got the IP gears installed, double checked crank to cam timing and installed the chain gear cover. Buttoned up the water pump and new bypass hose. The torsional damper was a bear, like normal. Thankfully we have an impact gun to snug it down, no torque wrench capable of 200 foot pounds. Mr Ingersol Rand said that is tight enough. He is doing the rest, power steering pump and alternator with belts. My back is done. Two naproxen for breakfast with a half dozen aspirin along the way. Not yet to ringing ears but close.

Keith_J

Every step fought us. New radiator, engine oil cooler lines needed modification to short ferrule beadlock. Then transmission cooler lines were stripped and I couldn't make a double flare. So we ended up putting an external transmission cooler on the 1009. Once all the lines were installed, coolant filled etc, it fired right up. Runs like a champ too with CORRECT injection and valve timing.

Keith_J

Yeah, he left this morning at 0500 for Houston. Hopefully he learned to get around OTR truckers quickly, a trailer tire blew out as he was passing this morning. Ears ringing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks