• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reconfiguring MEP-006A GenSet

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand that it is possible to reconfigure an MEP-006A GenSet to 120/240 single phase output. Does anyone have instructions on how to do this? There are instructions in the TM how to reconfigure up to three separate single phase outputs as long as none of the loads exceeds 33% of the total capacity of the GenSet, but I'm interested in reconfiguring so that I can get 100% of the rated output in 120/240 single phase.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You cannot get 100% output when it's rewired for 120/240 single phase operation. That is a 3 phase generator head and is not would for the proper voltages to be able to get 100% output at 120/240. The smaller sets up to the MEP-003a 10KW sets are wired and configured to allow this. However, IIRC the generator on the MEP-006a is wound to give 208 or 416 three phase, meaning it's a "Y" wye configuration. To be able to get 120/240 you would have to go to the interconnections of the coils and open them all up and reconnect everything for a delta configuration, but by doing something like that you may be interfering with the monitoring and voltage regulation of the set and could possibly burn something up.

The easiesy thing to do is to connect it up in something called a zig zag configuration (not the technical term but it will help with a search on another forum). In this configuration you are essentially creating an open delta connection, but you are limited to I believe 2/3 capacity of the set because of the imbalance of the coil loading.

Go to the "Smokstak" forum, they have a section devoted to military generators and I know the information about the zig zag connection is in there because I've seen it...you'll just have to search for it.

Also, be careful about wet stacking on that monster of a generator. An MEP-006a is a huge generator, and if you are going to use it for a house, unless you live in a mansion or the white house, it's never going to see enough load to get it hot enough to reduce the potential for wet stacking.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the advice. I'd seen several MEP-006A generators for sale by re-sellers that claim they have been re-configured to provide the 120/240 single phase. They must have converted to a delta connection as you mentioned. I was suspicious because everything else I'd read did not mention this possibility.

I'm picking up an MEP-0003A at Ft Jackson tomorrow and I think I'll stick with that. I was considering an MEP-006A, but I believe you have talked me out of it. Thanks for the help.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't want to talk anybody out of a big honkin toy like the MEP-006. But with diesel generators, bigger is not always better. I'm a firm believer in having more power generating capabilities than you will need, but you have to be careful with wet stacking and diesel engines. Eventually all of that sludge that builds up will block/burn valves and cause major problems with your engine. That's why you need a diesel generator that when sized properly will be loaded to about 70 to 80% of it's capacity, minimum. This allows it to get hot enough to fully burn the fuel and you still have some peak power left for starting motors and such.

Personally, I have 2 MEP-003a's and they are wonderful. I can run my whole house including the 3 ton geothermal heat pump with one of them, and it's loaded to just about 70% if everything is running. Plus, with the air cooled sets you don't have to worry about wet stacking as much...it can still happen, but as a general rule air cooled engines run hotter even under no load, so it's just not as much of a problem.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is very interesting. I also have a 3 ton geothermal heat pump (Waterfurnace), closed-loop system. I love the geothermal heat pump, which has significantly reduced my heating/cooling bill. Plus, I have a desuperheater on it as well for hot water.

How noisy is the MEP-003A? The one I'm picking up does not have sound suppression.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
not MV related, but mine is a two stage "Comfort Aire" heat pump with the desuperheater as well....FABULOUS!!! This will be my 3rd winter with it, and it's already saved me enough money to almost pay for itself (I have connections in the business, so I got it and had it installed cheap...at least cheaper...LOL)

Anywhoo...Some people say they are really loud, I don't believe it's any louder than my diesel tractor is when I'm mowing. My sets are about 50 feet from the house for right now, one of them has the exhaust pointed toward the house. With the doors and windows closed, I can barely hear it running.

Watch the video in this thread, The Beast Roars!!!!!, and you can get an idea of how loud it is...you can barely hear me talking in the video, but I'm not talking excessivly loud either.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That link worked great - thanks! I can't wait until I get mine tomorrow. It's trailer mounted and only has 669 hours on it.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
well, I hope you got a good one. Keep us posted, and if you have any questions, just ask.

Oh, by the way...nopics

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up the MEP-003A at Ft Jackson today and pulled it home. The trailer has a new top and two new tires. Otherwise, the trailer has a lot of rust and corrosion. Both tail light assemblies are bent, and the hydraulic line from the tongue rearward is broken in two. Sandblasting and paint would fix the trailer, but I'm not certain I want to keep the generator on the trailer.

Now the good news. Although a lot of the screws and bolts are rusty sand both batteries are ruined, the generator works fine. The oil was full and looked like the generator hadn't been run since it was changed. The tank was full of some nasty looking diesel, which I intend to drain. After finding out that the batteries would not take a charge, I hooked up cables to my deuce. I didn't intend to start the engine, just see if it would turn over. After switching to run, I heard the fuel pump come on. I let the pump run for about 30 seconds. I hit the start switch and the engine started after perhaps two revolutions, and then died. I looked at the oil pressure gauge and it was up a good ways and falling, so I hit the starter again. This time it fired up immediately and kept on running. I never hit pre-heat. The oil pressure was good. I let the engine run for about an hour while I checked the voltages. Everything works perfectly, although to thoroughly evaluate it I need to do a load test on it.

That thing is really noisy! I live on 32 acres in the Blue Ridge mountains, all mountainous terrain. I pulled it up a road on the property to about 1000 feet higher than my house to start it, because that was where my deuce was parked. The noise echoed down through the valley. I drove about a half mile down the highway from my house and I could still hear it running. I'm going to start cleaning it up and decide where to station it for power back-up. I'll pick up some batteries tomorrow

Attachments

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Deal!! Glad to hear about another success story with the MEP's. You are really going to love that generator!

R0E0D

I tip on wet stacking thin out the fuelgive her a gallon or 2 of moonshine. If you get the fuel mixture just right your have a nice blue flame coming out the exhaust. just a tip from a trucker!

Ken_86gt

you should be able to get at least 2/3rds output. If you alter the units sensing circuits you can trick it to provide 100%- but I don't know if the windings are designed to carry that much load. I put a link in the following post to a MEP-006 conversion, which is essentially the same as the MEP-004 and 005 as far as the conversion goes.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...for-different-voltages-including-single-phase

Wow this thread is OLD. I should have looked at the dates before replying....

Last edited:

truckdude22

I'm not seeing the single phase conversion forums everyone is talking about. Does someone have an old email with the link or something? Mep006a

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks