• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recover Dodge Tug with a towbar ?

acmunro

Hello, I need to recover a Dodge Aircraft tug. I have a Medium towbar and some brackets from a 2.5 ton I could bolt to the tugs bumper. I would be using a 1 ton Dodge extended cab tor a tow vehicle. Anyone ever tow bar a short wheel base tug. Just looking for some input. Would the short wheel base be harder to tow ? Thanks in advance.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailer it. I have one and I don't think you can safely attach your towbar.

91W350

Even though they are two wheel drive and short, I think they weigh really close to 8,000 pounds. It would be a pushy little slug behind your truck on a tow bar. I think even a one ton truck would be better off with a trailer and trailer brakes. Neat little package though, put some good traction tires on it and it will out pull most gas powered farm tractors.

The PIG Smith

I am looking at one these tugs.
I am wanting the Cummins 6BT for another project.
I am concerned about how I am gonna get it home if I win the bid.

Thanks for the tips advice for an new owner to trailer it home.

But questions about the trailer...isn't the rear axle on these tugs super wide?
I do not know if my trailer is wide enough to accommodate one of these rigs.

Also, if the weight is 8000#, then the dual 3500# axles may not be up to the task.

If I need to rent a trailer, how wide does the deck need to be?

I am guessing that because of the ultra low gears in the Dana 70, that the high speed operation of a dolly, would burn up the axle?

3dAngus

That trailer will not hold the weight. It is probably a 5000 pound trailer, max, in spite of the axle rating, and if original tires, cheapest made. You would have to retire the trailer with highway tires just for it to hold up 5000 pounds especially on sharp turns.

You need a 5 ton trailer, minimum. Triple axle is better, but dual axle will work if you have the right one. Yours sounds like one of those 14-16' $1500 trailers, and it might be just like mine. I've had several. It won't get the job done. Good luck.

The PIG Smith

That trailer will not hold the weight. It is probably a 5000 pound trailer, max, in spite of the axle rating, and if original tires, cheapest made. You would have to retire the trailer with highway tires just for it to hold up 5000 pounds especially on sharp turns.

You need a 5 ton trailer, minimum. Triple axle is better, but dual axle will work if you have the right one. Yours sounds like one of those 14-16' $1500 trailers, and it might be just like mine. I've had several. It won't get the job done. Good luck.
Yes, my trailer is of the $1500 variety.
No is not heavy duty, but the few times I've hauled FSJ J series trucks, it seemed to do well behind my 1 ton diesel cargo van.
If I win the bid, I dunno know what I will do.
I dunno where I could rent a heavier trailer and I dunno if my 6.2 powered 3500 series van could handle a heavy trailer with an 8000# load.
It is looking like the cost of bringing this beast home (about a 3 hour interstate trip) will cost more than the tug itself.

acmunro

I ended up trailering mine home. I used my 10000# trailer and my 97 Dodge EC CTD 3500 dually with a 250 shelter in the bed loaded with tools. I didn't realize I had the tug loaded too far back until I blew the 2 rear tires on the trailer (10 ply). It was fine for hundreds of miles. Then I got in the middle of what was refered to a snowicane. I don't know if all that heavy wet snow put it over or not but after that not too many miles down the road is when they blew. Lucky for me the tug had good tires on it and the wheels would fit my trailer. After adjusting the tugs position and changing the tires around I was back underway.

acmunro

Axle concerns

I am guessing that because of the ultra low gears in the Dana 70, that the high speed operation of a dolly, would burn up the axle?

Not that I am saying use a dolly, but if you look at my earlier post you could remove the eight bolts that hold each axle in remove the axle and bolt some blank plates on to keep the crud out and the remaining axle lube in. With this method you wouldn't have to unbolt the drive shaft and the rear wheels would just be spinning on the wheel bearings. Best bet is to use a Heavy Duty trailer.

acmunro

One last update. I parted out the last tug I picked up over the weekend. I discovered the tug I had once thought about towbaring home had a broken frame. It was cracked across the lower web and then about 90% up the side of the frame where the upper control arm is attached (just behind the engine crossmember). I'm glad I trailered it.

gavan

My CJ10a tug had some massive frame cracks in it as well. Makes me wonder if "standard" automotive frame based tugs with 8000 pounds of junk welded on to them are really up to the task of towing heavy airport equipment.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I removed the concrete weight from my tug today.

They pour it in the assembled truck, so there is no easy way to lift it out without removing the rear body.

I calculated the weight based on the dimensions. My best guess is it weighs 1700-1800 lbs(just the concrete).

I hear a creaking sound when I accelerate. Time to look over my frame for cracks, as reported in a few posts above.

My long term plan is to install it in an M1008, eventually.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks