• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovered two M105's with one deuce

pistonring

I picked up three trailers at Fort Meade this week. We convoyed an m818 and a deuce. Had a pair of m105's and a M129a1c supply semi trailer to recover. Took off the cargo cover and bows so that one 105 would fit in the back of the deuce. Took off one set of side racks and laid them on the floor so that one trailer could be loaded over the side. I wanted to leave in the header board to give something to slow down the trailer in an emergency stop were it to get loose at all. :roll: I have a deuce height loading dock made from 3 foot square concrete blocks at home so the trailer just rolls off easy. :) We chocked the wheels, set the brakes and strapped the trailer in. It rode like a rock. Never moved an inch. I was concerned about hauling two trailers with one deuce but it handled them easily. The 818 didn't like the hills with the semi trailer on so I had a chance to use the convoy lights and 4 way flashers on the beltway when we slowed under 40 mph. Like they say, if you go slow everybody has plenty of time to see your green trucks. :grin: The newer trailer is a late M105a2 with 11:00r20 goodyears on it but uses deuce rims. Is this the same tires as used on the super single deuces? Or the same as the a3 deuce? Of course these 105 wheels do not have anything on them for CTIS. What did they do for a spare tire? Just use a 9:00 tire off the deuce and run lop sided till the tire was fixed? I am not used to seeing 11:00's on a 105.

Attachments

JAYHAWK 1962

Could you get a few better shots of your loading dock. I like the idea and would like to incorportate something like it into my new building. Thanks!!

pistonring

The cats are surely civilian. They have been working as contractors guarding the motor pool from off base mice that may harm the trucks. :roll: The two guard cats caught by the camera were making their rounds inspecting the new vehicles for the possibility of any stowaway government mice that may try to infiltrate the perimeter. :) Unauthorized mice may experience death if the proper protective equipment is not used when attempting to enter a restricted area without proper authorization.:p
When it stops raining so that I can get some better pictures I will put together a post on the loading dock. It didn't cost a lot to do and was mostly sweat equity. It makes a great retaining wall and makes loading the deuce a breeze. I can load without boards or planks. Just roll on and off. The low side of the dock is shown in the background of the attached epay pix. There is a 2 foot dock on one side and a 4 foot dock for the deuce on the high side. These cement blocks are about 2/3 yard of concrete each with a piece of rebar in the top to allow a chain to lift it. The blocks are 3 foot square and 2 feet high. They were about $20 each loaded on my truck at the local concrete plant. They are the leftover concrete that comes back in the trucks after jobs are done. They put the cement in a steel form and sell the blocks for water bulkhead rip rap and retaining walls. The blocks weigh about 2800 pounds each so you won't haul them all in one day and you need something with a good lift capacity to move them. I staggered and stacked them two high at the 4 foot end. It took a while to level out the ground and line them up but they are so heavy that they stay where you put them. The truck won't move them either after they are backfilled with dirt. I back in from one direction for the 4 foot dock and pickups can come in from the other direction for the 2 foot dock.

Attachments

jimbob1111

Hi,
The M105A2 I recovered monday from Calhoun GA has 11.00 R20 MICHELIN XL tires on it. We were in a hurry, but it looked like a couple of the GA National Guard deuces there had 11.00 R20 XL super singles on them. The M105A2 next to mine had 11.00 R20's on it also.
That's a very nice loading dock setup you got there.
James

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks