• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovering an M101a2 from GL - what to take

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As the old saying goes, slow and sure gets the job done. Since you don't know the conditions the unit has been subjected to, extra planning, moderate speed, and like you said, proximity to WalMart or other venues for extra stuff is a really good idea! Happy trails!

wilfreeman

I'm pulling it out of Leesburg, SC. We called it the Wet Site (for obvious reasons) when I was in the Guard. It is a NG training area on the back side of Ft. Jackson, SC. So a 3/8" hitch pin thru the hole shown would be a better idea than a bolt - I might already have one of those. Thanks guys!

wilfreeman

That's what I figured would be the problem if anything - locked up brakes. I know they probably locked the hand brakes when they parked it, and if it sits, it will lock up.

wilfreeman

Rosie, I'm one of those whose biggest fear travelling is to break down and be left stranded - that's why I asked this question to start. I would rather take the extra time and take the back roads to be near people and towns than to be stranded on the interstate in the middle of nowhere.

Terracoma

Terra, I didn't give that link because it turned into a bunch of ridiculous bickering. I just thought I would be helpful the way I wish others were. I've learned a lot since then.
It did seem to get off on the wrong foot, initially, but it turned into a worthwhile thread with good info:

- Where and why
- Photo of the lock-out on the coupler
- Some personal anecdotes

[thumbzup]

wilfreeman

Well, I went to get the trailer this morning. Left the house at 0630 - had to be there at 0800. No security check whatsoever - the guard told me exactly where to go. I got around to the GL area and the 1st Sergeant was helping the GL guy to get a Cat D7 that wouldn't turn left out of the fence and loaded on a lowboy. While they were busy with that, I started checking out my trailer and putting the lockout pin and chain extensions on. After they figured out that it was going to take a while to get the dozer out of the fence, they told me to come on and get mine hooked up so I could go. The 1st Sergeant helped me back up and hook up and I pulled it on out of the fence to finsh my prep. I tried the wiring harness (4 pin to military plug), but my trailer side 4 pin wouldn't fit my wife's vehicle side - good thing I brought the towing lights just in case! The driver's side tire was @ 15psi - good thing I brought my air tank. I tied everything that might fall or drag up with tie wire and zip ties. Then I took off down the road. Mostly 55 mph all the way back. I stopped after the first 5 miles and checked the hubs - they were just warm, so I kept on truckin'. I was back home @ 1020 - 2 hrs 50 min total. All in all a very good experience + I got to see my old stomping grounds that I barely recognized.[thumbzup]

wilfreeman

I really was expecting to be there alot longer, but no security check + a ready to go trailer made it quick and painless. I would really have liked to see that D7 sitting in my yard more than the trailer, but the 1st Sergeant said the guy paid $44,000 for it and was complaining (on the phone) that it wasn't perfect - even though it was advertised as "won't turn left going forward". He said he didn't know if they were going to be able to get it on the lo-boy or not. When I was leaving, they were pulling another D7 around to pull/push it. They had some nice looking equipment in there for future auctions - might have to bid on something.

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wilfreeman, The guy complaining about his auction prize not being "perfect off the lot" brings to mind the old saying about someone who would b*itch if they were hung with new rope--no pleasing some folks, which makes it that much nicer to hear how good your whole experience was!

wilfreeman

I was definately prepared - had an extra 100# of stuff inthe back of the expedition. Well worth the effort though! I should have stayed and watched the excitement since I had some extra time. Could have checked out some of the future auctions too. I'll get a few pics tomorrow. She is overall good - needs a few places spot blasted and the driver's side wheelwell straightened a little on the edge before getting scrubbed with TSP and painted with Behr Carc. It also has mismatched tires, so I'll have to fine some decent used replacements. I tell you, the guy still got a nice dozer for the price! If he wanted perfect, he needs to go to the Cat dealer and pay $80,000 for it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember going out to see my Dad on a job site and he lost the left steering clutch on his dozer. He hopped off and told me to load it on the trailer. I did. Loading one that only steers on one side wasn't a big deal and if you know what you are doing it is easy. First time and only time I ever did it though.

$80k for a D7 at a CAT dealer, yeah, for a well used one. At his price it would be about 40 years old. A new one runs over $600k.

Glad your recovery went okay. I have recovered lots of M101s and the chains were always long enough. First I have heard that they aren't. ???

wilfreeman

Well then he got a great deal then! The chains did reach, but they were a little tight for my likeing - I added 6 links counting the connecting links (about 8"). Plus the hooks wouldn't fit into the chain hook holes in the receiver.

wilfreeman

Here's a couple of pics I just snapped. The rust along the front panel seam does not go all the way through that I can tell. Hopefully a little spot blasting here will be all the blasting needed - from what I've seen, it is. The racks might take a little sanding to smooth them out. A quick pressure wash and scrub with TSP, then put on some Behr green Carc

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks