• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovering Sarge's M49C

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll see if Sermis has any, then look for alternates or at the drilling idea.

nk14zp..what chain are you referring to? It isn't in any of the photos.

Cheers

Crash_AF

I believe that was his point... if the towbar had come completely loose, the deuce would have been an unmanned projectile that could have caused serious damage.

Later,
Joe

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahh, well he would have had to have looked in the back of Sarge's Suburban since that's where the chain was when the picture was taken, like the caption says "getting the tow bar hooked up". We were not on the road yet...

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I can testify to the increase in pucker factor when you look in the rear view and see the towee attemting to pass.
I managed to get safely off the road in spite of some knuckle-dragging, mouth breather that decided he couldn't wait to pass until I had safely stopped. Just as he got beside the wandering deuce it made a jink to the left causing him to seek the safety of the median.
After I stopped he came by and received a scathing inditement of his ancestry, intelligence and ability to safely drive a car. IDIOT!!!!!
I had used the wrong pin on the tow bar and it had worked it's way out.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good save!
About the towbar details, don't mount the feet upside down as shown in this image, the bar can't swing down and breaks. I learned during a test drive in a field.,....at least the pins were the correct ones....

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds like too much fun Wreckerman. Knowing the difficulties of removing a pucker-induced seat cushion from one's afterburner, I really want to avoid that experience. Bet it was satisfying to get to holler at someone though, gets that pent up steam out nice and quick. :)

Thanks Bjorn. I remember seeing a post on that a while back, ouch!

Now, along that line, would you use the feet that way up when towing a V100? The tow points for the V are down low under the nose and hang down rather than being up like on a deuce, etc. Seems that inverting the feet from "normal" would allow them to move freely.
I attached the only decent picture I have of the tow points, not my vehicle. It has an added set welded in front of it, the smaller ones to the rear are the regular ones. Mine only has the rear set.

NK, the bolts seem like a good idea, waiting for comments from the gurus. Meanwhile, I have a lead on a set of pins from another SS member, need to give him a call to work out the details.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

M215

Recovery

Another Rory and Sarge big adventure!

Several years ago you guys showed up at my house in the blue Suburban to retrieve a M35A2 I had sold. I was impressed with your drive from Texas to Virginia and plans to drive the M35 back to Texas. Than I was really blown away when you informed me you where picking up another vehicle in Illinois (?) before heading home to Texas with the M35. That was a road trip!

What is next?

Karl

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep Karl, that was quite a trip. The deuce we got from you was every bit as good as you had described it. It is the best running one we have ever seen, and it is still going strong. Great truck! And we really enjoyed meeting you.

We drove from your place to Illinois and picked up the other truck (MAN M1003, b-i-i-i-g truck), then drove both down to Tennessee where we picked up a load of goodies from Memphis Equipment, including a complete NOS bed for the M813. From there we drove the lot back to Texas. All in about five days.

Can't say what is next yet, we don't plan that far ahead!

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

Barrman

Rory,
You even helped me just a week or so ago put the tow bar on my Gasser with the big pin latches. Write or call Sermis, he still might have some.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, suitably abashed after my faux pas with the tow pins, I am now in possession of no less than three of these, courtesy of Sermis (thank you!). I am now prepared to do things properly the next time.

Oh, and I won't take any pictures of the tow bar until after I have attached the chains. See, old dogs do learn new tricks!

Cheers

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trust me Tim, there is PLENTY of stuff left for you! And I only picked up one of the ladders for Sam. :razz:

All I intended to get were the tow-bar pins and that item Sarge was picking up. But I walked away (okay, carted in Sarge's infamous Suburban) a good haul of booty. Most of the stuff is odds and ends for my armoured car projects. I picked up a winch controller I got as 'set decoration' for my XM704, I'll have to post a pic of it and see if someone can tell me what it really goes on.

Anyway, beware of Sermis' older boy, he is a heck of a salesman and talked me into buying all sorts of stuff I didn't need but just had to have!

And Sam, I do NOT giggle! 'Chortle with merriment' is the term I prefer... And I never have learned how to say 'aloominum', I always trip up when I try!

Cheers

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks