• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery at Fort Dix NJ

Ultra Mag

Newbie here. Just won 3 M923 at Fort dix NJ .Im planning on picking them up myself with own lowboy. Im taking everything I might need to get theme up and going.Its going to be 5 hour drive one way. Just want to know what to prepair for when I get to gate.

R Racing

I never bought a truck there but other smaller stuff. A bit weird to get to. But it was easy off and easy on base. Id bring at least 2 good batteries. Fuel, and hand tools. A glad hand air hose to use your rig to pump up any flat or low tires.

Last edited:

dawico

Congrats on the trucks.

Personally I wouldn't mess with them too much in the yard. Pull them on the trailer and go. With 10 hours road time the days will get very long quickly, especially three days in a row.

Be safe and enjoy.

FloridaAKM

Welcome aboard & congratulations on getting into MV's big time for your first recovery trip(s). You didn't start this hobby in a small way. Good luck on your recoveries & we'll try to keep murphy busy here in Florida.

Be safe!

gem1410

When you get to the truck gate your truck gets picked apart by security--could take 1/2 hour to get on depending on line-- there is a loading dock and the gp guys will help you load--once your in its a good place--you should bring some hot women to help out--thats about it

dmetalmiki

We are still curious to know WHAT you are pulling the chosen trailer with. Good luck with the task of getting them all home. Safe Journey(s).

mikey

gem1410 hit the nail on the head. I was at Ft Dix three weeks ago and gate security will scrutinize your vehicle. License, registration, insurance and even inspection. Make sure you've got all your paperwork for the truck and trailer and make sure everything is current.

Mikey

gem1410

If your helpers have warrants outstanding anywhere in the country they will be arrested at Ft Dix--everyone with you gets checked out --The NJ State Police hang out in that general area checking for over weights---

Jeep Nasty

Is it a GP auction? My shipper had a nightmare down there the other day picking up my m932A2. If it was GP auction find out if they are actually on Ft. Dix or an off site location "associated" with Dix. Last week guy went there, took over an hour to get through security, and he is familiar with getting in and out of Ft. Dix. Met with the rep only to drive right of the base for 40 minutes to an off-site secured location. Once they got there, they waited an hour for someone to come unlock the gate to the area. Truck were blocking other trucks, brakes were seized.

The worst part is, everyone there was talking about how all the truck at this off site location were submerged in salt water up to the hoods during hurricane sandy which wasn't disclosed on the auction. So have low expectations and you'll be all set, plan for lots of extra time.

gem1410

jeep nasty is correct--many trucks were located along the shore and were under water--GL sold most of the generators and wet equipment that was 6 feet under over the last year--

mikey

I brought my M101 trailer with me. I had the tag in the truck because I chose not to drill into my trailer to mount the plate. An older security guard who ran the xray truck came in and started grilling me about the tag. I explained that it was in the truck and why I didn't hang it, and of course I offered to retrieve it for him. He then asked for my license. When I gave that to him, he noticed a military ID in my wallet under my license. It was my expired ID from leaving the Marines. I keep it for sentimental reasons. He asked to see it, I obliged. He then said he was keeping it because it was expired and that I "gave him an expired ID". I argued that it is, in fact, for sentimental value only and that I only handed it to him because he requested it. He eventually returned it, but gave me a lot of attitude.

I felt like a criminal when I left the gate.

Good luck.

Mikey

plode

That's exactly the reason I haven't bid on any trucks at Ft Dix. I stayed here 2 miles from the beach during the hurricane, I know what a lot of these trucks went through. I know of one M923 that spent the night on a Delaware bay beach, idling over night, stuck in the mud with water almost up to the floor of the cab. The M936 that came to pull it out, got it out, but got itself stuck on the way out, and the only thing it had to winch from was the M923, but it was just dragging that back towards it. They left it there overnight, idling, water came up high enough to get the seats wet, truck wasn't running in the morning and the oil was pretty much milk :lol:. It sucked water in through the air filter housing that wasn't sealed up.
They came later in the afternoon and towed it out with a bulldozer and then used the dozer and pushed it onto a lowboy.

Apparently the PFC that was driving it thought he could make it from one road to the other via the beach/marsh- and actually did make it almost all the way, until about 50yds from the other road where it sank. I was really suprised, it made it through what amounts to a creek. It drove along the red line, getting stuck at the yellow X.
beachstuck.jpg
...And that's just two trucks I know about from Ft Dix :lol:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks