• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery Gone Wrong - M936

DaninTN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes they can get very stuck!! I thought I would share my mistakes with everyone here. I got a call to come pull out a guys truck that was in an area where that had started building a subdivision and stopped construction due to soil stabilization issues (I later found out). There was a nice levee I was on that I could have pulled the guy from but he convinced me (yes, my big mistake) to come around to the back of the truck and pull him backwards out of the hole he was in. I learned a very costly lesson but I did get some pictures to share out of it. And yes i actually tried to winch out a 35-36k lb truck with a 45k lb winch on sapplings but only as a last effort before calling in the heavy equipment... :lol:

Attachments

crasheej

You never do what the guy who is stuck wants. You are there to help him not get stuck too. I've learnt to look it over and then tell them what i'll do. If they don't like it then get someone else.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I know why Gimpy doesn't like taking his wrecker out on the trails.

;-)

DaninTN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah after that one I decided from now on we are doing it the way I want to or I am getting out of there.
I was worried about my brakes sitting under water with the temps dropping to the 20's here the past couple nights but as far as I can tell everything is ok.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting. I think everyone makes the mistake of driving into slop only once. I know I did a long time ago and I learned my lesson too.

scottgs

You never do what the guy who is stuck wants. You are there to help him, not get stuck too. I've learnt to look it over and then tell them what i'll do. If they don't like it then get someone else.
Wiser words have never been spoken. If the stuckee knew what they were doing, they wouldn't be stuck in the first place!

Garret

jw4x4

I have seen Gimpy's wrecker plowing thru mud headlight high. Woulda hated doing the cleanup/maintenance after that thrashing. half way clean water is one thing (flood, pond, lake, river), but that big ol' nasy mud hole @ Haspin was a h3ll hole.

Robbied46

This brings back memories! I have a M945 that I installed a 4000 gal hydroseeder on. I buried it loaded on a gas well lease road and had to go get a large dozer to pull it out. I feel your pain! As a side note, it is painted the same color red.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have seen Gimpy's wrecker plowing thru mud headlight high. Woulda hated doing the cleanup/maintenance after that thrashing. half way clean water is one thing (flood, pond, lake, river), but that big ol' nasy mud hole @ Haspin was a h3ll hole.

Its amazing what it went through with only the rears driving. One of these days I will get a working T-case and have the front axle pulling too. It was pretty nasty when I got in the hubs after that weekend!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as you learn from it, it was not a mistake.

Scarecrow1

Well at least you didn't have to wait until it froze or dried up to drive out . And lets face it the pioneer tool kit in times like that are ornaments not tools . At best you knew who to call when the crap hit the fan,

o1951

:oops: !!!
Bringing in a track vehicle - Case 9040 cost someone a few coins.:cry:

Thank You for the post - reminds me - don't help anyone stuck in mud with my civy Truck.

DaninTN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I definitely learned a lesson. Speaking that Case costing someone money... I had to pay him to come get me out which made it even better.

I am not surprised he charged me I am surprised the guy I was trying to pull out left me with the bill when it was his idea that got me stuck in the first place.

Last edited:

o1951

Sometimes that is the way it goes with "friends" - Only reason you were there was to help him, you get stuck, and he screws you. Winds up costing you $$$ because you tried to help him. Bet you are quick o respond if he calls again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks