• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery Kit for M101

koolex11

Hi all,

I have been working on a kit that will allow me to deal with any problems that arise during recovery. I plan to tow out, of course. Your input is requested!

Just so you know, I actually drove down and INSPECTED the lot before buying!

Pintle Hook
Magnetic Tow Lights
Air Compressor
WD-40
Safety Chains (I know the stock chains are too short for my rig)
3/8 X 4 1/2 pin for surge brake
Pry Bar
Hammer
Pliers
Ratchet and Wrench Kit
Rope

Anything else?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lug wrench, tie wire, and duct tape. I never go anywhere without a shovel either - in case you have to dig a hole to fit the jack in under the axle, when you have a flat tire, because the axle is too low.

koolex11

Rosco,
I just looked up Delta Junction. Nice mountains. Do you work at the Army base? I see the sun sets at 23:00 tonight!

Ratch

Where are you buying out of? I just googled Topton, you're not too far from me. I'd split 30' flat bed rental and fuel with you if you want to pick up multiple lots together... :D:D:p

For that compressor, is it a little 12v tire inflater, or air-tool support? I have a small gas-powered compressor that would be good to bring along, but in reality, a 12-volt inflater would probably be just as good.

Good items listed that I'll add to my list...
My list is a bit overkill, but it's better to have and not need than need and not have when you're on a GL lot...
My list so far is this:

recovery tool list:

Human Hydration!

-Several pliers
-dikes
-phillips and flat head screw drivers
-mini sledge hammer
-Tire iron
-pry bar
-(filled) Air tank with hose and tire chuck, or some form of compressor
-Tire pressure guage
-crossbar-lugwrench
-jack stands
-floor jack
-bottle jack
-several 2x4 sections
-cordless drill w/ phillips and flat bits, and charged batteries
-12v 1157 bulbs and plug-in harness
-(2) 5-link 3/8" chain sections with clevis hooks and removable links (safety chain extensions)

For Flipping Trailer over:

-old unmounted tires to land it on

- (4) 20' towing/recovery straps
- (4) small ratchet straps
- (2) 30' ratchet straps
- (2) 15' chains with hooks or removable links (1/4" should be sufficient)
- (3) chain binders
- (1) 6' 2x4
- (1) 6' chain with hooks
- (2) old dismounted tires (larger or 4 total would be better)
- (3) 8' 2x4's
- (4-10) custom cut stakes (the more you use, the more difficult they will be to stack)
- Several 6' 4x4's or landscape logs
- Several various length 2x3's and 2x4's
- Magnetic towing lights

For multi-trailer recovery:
- (4) 20' towing/recovery straps
- (4) small ratchet straps
- (4) 30' ratchet straps
- (2) 15' chains with hooks or removable links (1/4" should be sufficient)
- (3) chain binders
- (1) 6' 2x4
- (1) 6' chain with hooks
- (3) 8' 2x4's
- Several 6' 4x4's or landscape logs
- Several various length 2x3's and 2x4's
- Magnetic towing lights
These are all things I have on-hand, otherwise I'd usually prefer ratchet straps to chain binders, and a portable tool box instead of specific tools.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Judging by the fact that you have a pin for locking out the surge brakes, I'm going to assume that it's an A2 or A3 version. If, in fact, it is an A2 or A3 version, why not bring a spare tire. Anything 8 lug will work except that 97 and later Ferd stuff I think. Lots of win when you have a spare along for the ride. As much as I like wire ties and don't leave without them, tie wire is just as valuable. Works good as a cotter pin in a pinch too.

koolex11

I always carry a roll of wire. But good suggestion. I definitely like using wire for a rig-job instead of zip ties. I use zip ties for permanent jobs only, but they too are very handy.