• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery M818 from Camp Dodge

bifleming

Just won an M818 from GL at Camp Dodge. Looked it over a bit before the auction, and figured it was in fairly good shape. One problem is bad brakes. Looks like a leak somewhere in the hydraulic system, some red fluid on the bottom of the truck and the brake fluid reservoir is empty.

Going to go out tomorrow to see if I can find the leak and figure out what to do about it.

Hopefully I can get it ready to drive home (all of eight miles). If not will have to try recovery with my M35A2 and a tow bar.

Anyone have experience towing an M818 with an M35A2? Will it work? Tips?

Attachments

Stan

Its been done, not the ideal setup.The heavier tractor can push the deuce around. Some weight in the deuce bed is supposed to help. Much safer if you could hook airlines up for the brakes on the tractor. But your brakes don't work. Soooo

KsM715

Take some gladhand hoses. The M818 has them on the front so you can hook it up like a trailer.

Edit :doh: bad brakes. never mind

bradmachine

add brake fluid, bleed the brakes, hook up the airlines, and drive easy.... a small leak will drain the system to a point. but filled up and bled, may work ok for a while. then look for the wet spot and fix the leak when you get it home.... 8 miles... you can do it, drive easy, keep some stopping distance ahead of you. if it all goes to heck, blame it on the wife...

pad_cdr

Tried to bleed the brakes -- no luck. Heard a gurgling sound, and discovered that the fromt brake lines had been disconnected and the line heading to the master cylider plugged. Even with the line plugged, the pedal went to the floor, and it would not draw from the reservoir.

Looks like I will be towing it home with the Deuce.

max1008

When a friend tried towing an 818 with a deuce, the first turn out of the base pushed the deuce into a gutter. The 818 was driven home.

pad_cdr

Hi Stan, been out of town this week. EUC submitted, just waiting for it to clear. I ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit, and will go out this weekend (if the parking area is unlocked) and work on the brakes.

Hoping I can still drive it home, otherwise will be going really slow with the Deuce. I might try to find out the cost for towing, there is a towing service next door to where I will store it, maybe they will give me a break.

BTW, I finally figured out why I had been confusing myself on Steel soldiers. I don't use it much, and a few years ago, when I was having trouble with the site, I must have created a second ID. I'll merge them, and start using just the one, BIFleming is also me.

eagle4g63

2 ID's......now that is funny:D

Anyway, to help with the pushing.....If you add a bit of weight in the back of the deuce over the rear tires, it will help keep them planted to the ground so as not to get pushed out from under you when you try to take a turn. I would still take it real slow I know you said 8 miles so that would be the only reason I would try with tow bar.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

Go to Home Depot (or equivalent builders supply store) and buy a palet or two of concrete blocks and then take them back when you are done.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
do not think a 8 mile trip is going to much of a stressor, If you go REAL slow like 20 mph, it will still only take less then 1/2 hour

pad_cdr

Rebuilt the master cylinder. The old internals seemed to be missing a part or two. Will go out later this evening to put it on and bleed the brakes. Keep your fingers crossed.

Also realized that with both fuel tanks full, that's close to $400 worth of fuel. I llike that.

pad_cdr

Got the master cylinder back under the truck and bled the brakes. That seemed to work. One question for anyone who knows, bleeding the brakes pulled brake fluid out of the reservoir on the top of the master cylinder, but did not pull much out of the reservoir on the compressor. Is that normal, or do I have another problem to worry about?

pad_cdr

The EUC and paid in full invoice came through today. Waiting for a call back from the site contact. They used to like to have things picked up on Wednesdays, keep your fingers crossed, I might get it this week!

sandcobra164

If you tow it with the Deuce, please heed this advice from someone who has done this before. Leave the steering wheel untouched, do not try to tie it off in the straight ahead position, hook the air brake lines up since you feel like you've got them fixed, and go slow. If you tie off the steering wheel on the M818, the 5 ton will push your deuce sideways in a tight turn. 5 ton's track well if left untouched and I learned the hard way. If you pull the deuce with the M818, you will need to tie off the steering wheel. A deuce has different steering geometry and will turn the opposite way that your turning in a tight turn. It will stop that 5 ton in it's tracks. Tie off a Deuce, do not tie off a 5 ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks