• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery, New York style!

YankeeDuece

Jatonka, Uncle John and I went to Anneville Pa. last Friday to retrieve our trucks. We departed Jatonka's shop at 0430. UJ, 84, threw out his alarm clock after he retired, so he camped out at the shop the night before.

The trip down was uneventfull, reaching Anneville at 1130. Mike from GL was there waiting for us and we got right in.

After a quick inspection and fluid-level check the trucks were ready to be moved out side of the gated area.

(3) of the trucks started, (2) had to be slaved but started easily. Mike from GL went above and beyond in assisting us, ready the trucks, move gear, and jocky the tow bar.

We left Anneville at 1300 and went to the nearest fuel station. Uncle Sam left both trucks 3/4 full....thank you. Departed 1345.

The ride north was long, slow and hot. We drove for a few hours at aprox. 45-50 mph @ 90+ temps. You couldn't slap the smile off of my face, even w/Pa. road construction and steep grades.

We stopped at 2030 to get a bite to eat and decided to call it for the night. Uncle John had not shown any signs of wear but at 84, we weren't going to risk it.

Saturday 0630 we departed, Jatonka out paced the two of us, no problems, it was a beautiful day. We all made it to our respective destinations by 1030.

We had no problems on the way, my dealer plate never got flashed, Jatonka(The Responsible One) had all his paperwork in order. We were dressed in camo so lots of passers-by blowing their horns, thumb ups, and waves...even from (2) Troopers.

I averaged 6.75mpg, with a "D" turbo winch truck towing a "C" turbo winch truck, over 363 miles.

Road report:
Jatonka, running parts truck with a 5-ton motor....who knew?
UJ, (1) as close to perfect as possible, right down to a full tool box with the tools still in their cardboard boxes! (2) good running winch truck w/hardtop.
Yankeedeuce, strong runner w/3 new 11:00-20 tires, set of rear axel seals(found out later why)some drain pans and a mechanics parts chest in the bed. (2) running winch truck w/10 new tires.

Summary for a good recovery: Experience, tools, chain, tow bar, experience, balls, gear lube, Mastercard, sunscreen, experience, air hose w/glad hand adapter, sleeping bag, bottled water.........

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like recovery stories. Sounds like a fun trip, the kind I like. Congrats to you, UJ and JT on a nice catch.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beautiful trucks and a great recovery story! I like it when there's bonus things in the truck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great recovery and nice pics! Way to show 'em how we do it in N.Y. :wink: Them, is some nice looking trucks.

Cdub

OUTSTANDING recovery..........!! very glad to hear you all made it home with no issues.

Good Luck with the new GREEN toys.

Cheers,

C'dub

jatonka

Recovery, New York style

Yankee Deuce forgot to mention the stops we had to make for more oil for my freightliner, dipstick gasket went bad, pushing oil out pretty seriously, called the Cummins guy back home, asked if I could plug it, he said yes, no problem. Uncle John whittled my a plug out of an Elderberry branch, shoved it in, all was well. For a while, plug came out, lost a lot of oil this time. Bought a 4 foot piece of tube, couple of hose clamps, routed it up toward the radiator, poured in 2 gallons more oil and no more leaks all the way home. New dipstick is ordered. Was a fun trip mostly, a little comraderie at our overnight at a fuel stop and yes the trucks were really solid. And Mike from GL is one A number one guy in my book. JT out :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Recovery, New York style

Hey John, at least you caught it before it lost too much oil and got alot more expensive. Looks like the trip was a blast. Congrats on the LDS motor truck.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Nice looking trucks!

I recognize jatonka in the first pic. See the ever-present cigar? :D

Great pics, and some great looking trucks, too! Glad to see you had a fun time!

BTW, look forward to meeting you fellas again in Gilbert 2008!

docthrush

Congrats!!!

If you need info on the 1 213 ada truck let me know, my father and I are both in the guard in pa and thats his unit. One of my best friends was a mech up there before they made them all go to spring city lol. So I can ask for info if ya need it.

Doc

jatonka

Jeff, more cigars than I want to count. Doc, thanks for the info, one of us will get ahold of you. Mad Dog, looking forward to evening refreshments with you again soon!!!!! Maybe Aberdeen? Kenny, thanks for the kind words, hope to meet you soon, John T

YankeeDuece

Re: RE: Nice looking trucks!

docthrush said:
Congrats!!!

If you need info on the 1 213 ada truck let me know, my father and I are both in the guard in pa and thats his unit. One of my best friends was a mech up there before they made them all go to spring city lol. So I can ask for info if ya need it.

Doc
Hi Doc,
Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Maddawg,
See you in Sept. if not sooner.
P.S. Did you ever get rid of the HQ tent?

YankeeDuece

BTW, I think we had an easier travel because none of the bumper markings were painted over prior to decommision. As far as anybody know, the trucks were still active, and we dressed in full camo to help sell the part. Any thoughts?