• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery points

G5TS

Getting ready to get the truck on the trail but wanted some clarification on the recommended recovery points for a kinetic rope and where I can attach a snatch block off of the HMMWV.

I have tear drop shackles, front clevis, Sherpa winch, and a h1 style hitch that is bolted to the frame and Airlift bumper.

Anyone have experience in this?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The teardrops are securely bolted to the frame. MUCH stronger than just about every civilian vehicle's recovery points.

stickernoteshipmentandloadblackyellow.jpg

Not sure which model this decal is from, but went out and checked my M1123 and it rated the front and rear shackles (teardrops) at 16,400 lbs.

The only thing I advise is if you get into a spot where you're severely stuck, and using more than a single winch block to multiply pulling power, is get something to use as a bridle between the two shackles. I have a 10' 1" kinetic rope for this purpose. Not really good to use kinetic ropes and winches together, but as a bridle setup it's way overrated and won't be stretching much.
I'm not sure if it would happen on the HMMWV, but I've seen civilian vehicles that pulled too hard on just one side and tweaked the frame out of alignment. It's less likely to happen when using the kinetic rope, but not impossible.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for rear recovery point, because you have the airlift bumper, I'm not sure if going to the pintle on the airlift (if you have it) would be any stronger than going to the teardrop shackles.
The 2" receiver you have would be the last thing I would try to connect to. It would probably do fine, but the teardrops are right at the frame rails, so less chance of messing anything up.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did find that about a decade ago someone was selling teardrop shackles non-military sourced that they said were rated at 25k lbs.
The shackle itself isn't the weak part, and with how close it is to the frame I wouldn't worry about using it, other than overdoing it and tweaking the frame, before anything actually broke.

Reactions: 98G