• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery question, best way to get her home

Melvinitis

I looked and searched but did not find a tread on topic, if I missed it, sorry.

I live in Milwaukee, I won a GL auction for a 1008 that is at Bragg. How do I get it home?

I have a few thoughts, the one I am leaning towards the most is towing it back on one of those U-Haul single axle trailers that puts the one axle of the towed vehicle on the trailer, and towing it back that way.

Uhaul site says the trailer can only handle 3,400 though...

I am leary about driving the M1008 all the way back to Milwaukee, not knowing the truck, I am not sure what can happen.

Thoughts?

Seperate issue, how likly is it that my M1008 that I won at the begining of Dec will still be as depicted in the photos when my EUC comes back? Have others had parts borrowed from their trucks?

Attachments

M1075

It would be a S L O W drive back in the M1008. I would pay to have it shipped. Might even be cheaper that doing it yourself. Post a listing on www.uship.com or search the internet for other options. You can get a lot of bids fast and then determine if it will fit into your budget. Good luck!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parts borrowing does occur from time to time. I hope you saved your pics and data from GL, they delete it aftwer 24 hours. The 1008 would be a bit much for that dolly in my humble opinion. I'm assuming you have something to tow with right? I'd seriously be leaning towards a towbar. Beg, borrow or buy a military bar and it pins right on to the front of the 08. Remove rear driveshaft or axle flanges and your going down the road. Don't forget to take a key, no guarantee the gov't will provide one. Info on keys right here; http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4069

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
U haul car transport trailers seem a bit to light for these trucks, single axle trailer might be scarey on a long trip. I usually rent an 18' tilt bed equipment trailer, bring an electric winch and a spare battery, winch the truck on that way, bring lots of chains, blocks and a come a long. (usually not worth the effort to try to get it to run in the yard if it doesn't) I tow with my work truck, an 06 K3500 dually. The trailer I rent will hold 9950 lbs. I know this isn't a picture of a CUCV, but its similar. Dual wheels went right up to wheel fenders, made a 150 mile trip no problem. BE SAFE!

Attachments

Melvinitis

Kenny, you anticipated one of my questions, if I do tow it, will disconnecting the drive shaft and letting the rear axle float on its own be okay for the rear axle? Sounds like yes.

I am working the other angle of getting an equipment trailer, I do live in farm country and between my dad and I we have a lot of connections to get a trailer. As for the tow vechile, I do not have anything, but again, I should be able to talk a freind into loaning somthing. In exchange for a tit for tat exchange I think letting one of these freinds drive the CUCV might be a good exchange.

My dad's best freind has a trucking company, but they have only van trailers, and he ussually hauls food, so getting one of those will not work as it would contaminate his trailer. However he knows the business better than anyone and weekly sends six trucks on round trips to the DC to FL area (that is where you WI cheese comes from). I am hoping he can get connected with some one.

Thanks for the other thoughts, I will post it and see if I can get a good bid. That might be the easiest of all!

If somone has tow bars in the southern WI area... I would like to talk to you.

I will leave all options on the table at this time!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a small car trailer that I can move CUCVs, M715s and the like. If I were going after a CUCV that had fair tires, I'd leave the trailer home and take the towbar, they track that well. Westy is a Cheesehead and I think he has a bar but he is in basic training and out of touch for a while. How long do you anticipate it will be before you need to go fetch it? If you run into time constraints, might be able to get another member to fetch and store it for you. Lots of folks going to Bragg for stuff lately. Unlocked front hubs and a removed rear driveshaft will do the trick. I will caution you to check the gear oil in the rear axle, some turn ins have been drained.

CGarbee

Recovry4x4 said:
How long do you anticipate it will be before you need to go fetch it? If you run into time constraints, might be able to get another member to fetch and store it for you. Lots of folks going to Bragg for stuff lately.
I'm down at Bragg at least twice a month... :)
I live forty-five minutes away and can pick up/store things for a while...

mangus580

Not to pick on you Melvinitis, I just guess this post is the straw that broke the camels back.

Why in the world would you not have come up with a transport plan BEFORE you bid and won the truck? I have seen this topic come up about 5-6 times in the last few months, and I find it really irratating.

Ok... stepping down from my soapbox now, before someone pushes me off!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Mike, I have found that there are too many variables to make a set in stone recovery plan. It doesn't sound like he is asking anyone to "save his ass" at the moment, just getting intel. Grandpa always said, "fool proof plans do not take into account the ingenuity of fools". Whos to say he will show up and they can find his truck? We have already had a member sent away while they looked for his property. I think this guy is doing fine so far. .02.

mangus580

Agreed gimpy.... Like I said... not picking on him in general... Just seeing a rash of these posts lately, and they are starting to get to me, had to say something!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Haha, you should have seen me scramble when I won that skid of tow bars in Maine! Talk about nervous, I can't say how glad I am that the members here are helpfull. I did check and kind of line it all up before I bid though. It worked out well for everyone involved.

BigB84

The local Uhaul store would not rent a trailor to me to haul my m1009. They said it weighed too much for the trailor and was a liability. I made the 60 mi trip w/ a 1996 chevy 3/4 tone truck and a dual axle utility trailor with hydraulic brakes. I was luck enough that the m1009 started when I arrived, but many of the others had multiple parts missing and would not even turn over. All of those had to be loaded by wich or military crane. I didn't see anybody with a tow bar out there, but it does sould like a good idea. Once loaded, we tied town with chains and chain binders. It was a slow trip back though as the m1009 was heavier than anticipated and put abutt whippin on our truck. I would definitiely recommend a 1ton or greater truck with dual wheel set up in the rear. Just my, 2cents Good Luck!!

ida34

If your 3/4 ton truck had trouble towing an M1009 and trailer you need to take it to a shop and get it checked out. A half ton is enough to tow that load. It would not be fast but if the loadout was proper it should not be a problem. I have a set weight distributing hitch for my car hauler trailer and if you have the trailer set up so that all the weight is not on the rear of the truck then towing is usually much easier. I used to haul my 7500 lbs camper trailer with my F-150 but I was not happy with power. I then got a 3/4 ton rated Excursion and this thing tows that load great. I would not agree with the need for a 1ton. I do have a 1ton dually but it does not tow much better than my excursion and the Excursion is better on fuel than the truck. When ever you put an extra 5000 lbs behind any truck it is going to feel like a dog. Some more than others but my V-10 seems to not care to much and the brakes on the Excursion are great.

As for Uhaul, they are nuts on towing stuff. They are way to conservative on what the trailers can haul and what you can use to haul it. That being said even if they did rent a tow dolly to you I don't think the truck would fit on it. The Uhaul dolly are more narrow than regular dollies. I did use a Uhaul trailer to move a Ramcharger but I told them I was moving a Ford Taurus. The truck barely fit between on the trailer they had. Uhaul is real uptight about renting the trailers but as long as you get a truck from them they are usually less picky. They are worried about someone screwing the pooch while using their trailers. They seem less concerned on a 40 foot moving van but I have worked more accidents with Uhaul trucks or other rented trucks. They should tell these people that the thing is not a Yugo and the rear does not track the same as the front. The accidents I have worked have usually been a college student taking a moving van through a city street. They make a turn and the rear ends up driving over the front of a parked car.

madsam

My best tow vehicle is a 78 Chrysler Newport with a 440. I have several 1/2 ton pickups, but for a long hall, I like the Newport. It is already heavy enough to control the trailer and has the poop to get up the hills. I towed a 35KW Onan generator 600 miles back to my place on a 16 foot flat bed and hardly noticed the extra weight. (Generator =3000lb+tailer-1500) Went right up the mountain to my place.You always have to slow down for corners no matter what you are towing with. I have seen many people over shoot corners with trailers.

Now that does depend on where you have to toe it. I was on highways and freeways. No rough roads or steep inclines which would need 4 wheel.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I flat towed my M1009 home 380 or so miles with the military tow bar and a Toyota Tundra. Towed very nice. Didnt have any keys and didnt know about them all being keyed the same so I just disconnected the steering shaft and driveshaft. Most of the trucks I have bought seem to get the D-rings stolen off the front while waiting to be picked up, just as my M1009 did. I forgot to bring the pics with me so I didnt have a leg to stand on with GL. Factor in how much extra dead weight of the empty trailer and the speed limit when towing a trailer if you have a long trip Vs flat towing one way back.

OSO

HI, Melvinitis Where in Milwaukee is there farm country . Was just back there in Dec.8/ 07. I grew up close to Milwaukee County Statium . Good luck in your recovery on your new truck. [thumbzup]

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Heck I thought that was what we were all on here for was to get ideas and help each other. I met econstruction on here and now I'll probably be meeting him up at Letterkenny next week to pull out a bunch of equipment, none of it mine, and he's barrowing my towbar (at no cost).

Someone was looking for a sugar scoop a few months ago, had one sitting around that I didn't need so I shipped it off to him for only the cost of the postage.

Had another member need a hand crank for his 1009, another a bumper. Yep probably could have sold them off but frankly I just pass it off with the thought of "Pay it Forward" or that someday I maybe in a bind and need some help and if they can help, they help, if they can't oh well.

I recently bought a pump in GA. Wasn;t expecting the shipping sticker shock. Asked to see if anyone was nearby and nobody ponied up except for one person 2 hrs away which I said that;s too far.

Back to my point, I thought we were all here to get to know, learn, grow, and help each other.

Gotta be honest, I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and probably shouldn't post in this mood. Let me get off my soapbox.

No.2Diesel

A little tip for those who want to use UHaul in the future: DON'T ACTUALLY TELL THEM WHAT YOUR GOING TO TOW/HAUL :roll: ....Always tell them your going to tow a Geo Metro with their dolly. fat lady sings

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks