• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery question, best way to get her home

oilcan

I understand u haul has two sizes of car trailers. The old style (orange) is the narrow one and the newer silver one is wide enough to work.

That's the word on the street, anyway...

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
melvinitis,

try a different rental company. Maybe a local outfit. I have rented trailers and car dollies through local outfits. I hauled an Isuzu trooper (newer one) with a car dolly and it worked good. Except for my choice of tow vehicle. But the car dolly was up to the challenge. I know the trooper isn't as heavy as the CUCV, but the U-Haul dollies seem to me to be a little lighter than others. Just a thought.

BTW, the only problem I had with the tow vehicle was on a gravel driveway. Tow vehicle wasn't heavy enough. I could have had many more problems though as I realized what could have happened. I tow too way to much to make mistakes like that. No money and desperate = dump move. Never again. Make sure you get something with enough weight so towed vehicle doesn't push the towing vehicle around.

I think with the recent "bargains" being had on GL, there do seem to be people getting caught up in the auction process and ending up with purchases and saying, oh crap, now what. But, that's why us helpful folks are here. To help.

Still looking for a medium towbar to purchase. With all the fixings, or just the ends to the towed vehicle. Deuce fittings.

Med, I took the towbar to the local shop to see about fabing. Can be done, but doesn't seem practical. Patience seems more practical.

Melvinitis

All: Thanks for the advice. I will try and address all the questions possed to me... first... I do have a few plans, as I said, but I wanted to get your thoughts. I was thinking of the tow bars, as the primary, getting a two axle equipment trailer as second, uhaul as third (I did not tell them, I just checked their site) driving it was fourth choice. I asked the question to get your expert advice.

Farms near Milwaukee, heck there are some in southern MKE county. However I live out in Waukesha county, and grew up south of Madison. Bailing hay, de-tasling corn, dating the farmers daughter, running real fast through corn fields when the farmer woke up, hunting snipe... all those great farm country rights of passage.

I don't think I will need help covering for me, but if the EUC comes back at a bad time... I might. Here in Wisconsin we are deploying a National Guard BCT and several seperate companies, things are very dicey week to week here for those of us in the WI Guard.

Well... I think that answers everything, you have all answered my questions and given me great advice, like bring lube for the rear axle in case... (although it is not as simple as adding oil)

OSO

Melvinitis I lived on Pewaukee Lake for about 7 years sure like that lake living . When the lake freezes over out come the winter sports , Ice shantys, snowmobiles ,ice racing and tavern hopping. Lived in Waukesha a while too . Folks live there ,and two Brothers on mine . Visited them both in December . Parents live off of Springdale RD between HWY 18 And County J Like that area nice place to live . Take care with recovery . I worked on both Apartment complexes on Springdale. The Meadows in 1972 And Springdale Apartments in 1973 Also 1978 Waukesha Memoral Hospital expansion North wing and West wing. Was the subforeman on Plumbing crew. A lot has sure changed since I moved out to Washington State in 1985. Still miss all mine old hauntes ,and buddies there. Still Have Master Plumbers Licence for Wisconsin . All plumbers have to work under a Master Plumber there. Nothing like out in Washington State . Quite lax on keeping non licenced plumbers from doing plumbing here , and quality of work is very poor .Well have a safe recovery again. Wisconsin guy still! OSO [thumbzup]