• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery question...towing F150

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gents,

My '73 deuce is off the Arsenal [EUC to BC 03 May, notified 12 Jul] and in a shop for a comprehensive scrutinization and laying on of hands. Seems it started first pop with a jump and drove to the shop sin problemas. Let's hear it for clean living and blind luck!. [thumbzup]

The options I'm now looking at are: 1-fly out , scarf up a fundamental suite of goods and tools, and head out; 2-drive out with a more-complete suite than I'd pick up in Huntsville and tow the Ford back. My question re option #2 is: What would towing the F150 back entail, hardware wise?

Always seeking good counsel.
bs

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as towing the F-150, removing the rear driveshaft and it would be about ready. If it's 4x4 you would need to insure that the front hubs were unlocked. What you would use as a tow bar would be your choice. The military towbar would work but you will have to grow some mounts. If you could look at a CUCV in your area and see how they are, I'm sure something similar could be fabricated. That is the joy of the CUCVs. Drive out with gear, hook up towbar and head home. I even have the brackets from a CUCV on my Suburban so I can towbar it if needed.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you are talking about flying/driving to huntsville and driving back to AZ in a new deuce towing a F150 right? Wow, there's alot of risk there. Good luck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You Sir are a glutton for punishment.....I drove a deuce 60 miles Wed and was roasting by the time I got home.

This is not the time of year for long deuce trips through the southern states.

I hope you have a big cooler to carry fluids with you.

Remember that you get maximum cooling by opening the front window about 8 inches and rolling both side windows up......the airflow will push the hot air out though the holes in the floor and keep it bearable unless you hit a traffic jam.

If you have to sit still for very long you are going to cook slowly from azzhole to appetite.

Good luck and tally ho.

Heavysteven

I agree with the posts above. Driving a deuce while towing back to AZ is going to put you to a test. Drove 2.5 hours on Sunday it's a work out.

I would get a price to ship and weight that against the risk of failure.

roscoe

When will you have another chance for such an adventure? I vote you drive it home. You will learn quite a bit about your new truck and have an opportunity to bond. Whats the fun in paying someone to tow it if its a solid truck? As long as your moving and the front window is open, I find mine stays much more comfortable than other non- airconditioned trucks. Good luck with it whatever you decide.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks