• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery rear tire inflation issue

gmann

Did a pre-recovery inspection today. Of course batteries now dead after the killer cold weather we had...GL helped jump her and ran fine. Right rear tire was low and attempted to refill with Glad Hand GL had lying around. Tire would not fill up...kept it on the fill value for quite a while and saw no difference in tire. Anything I might be missing here? I swear the tire was full when I first previewed the truck, but could of missed it...looked at a ton of them. CTIS is disconnected, running super singles mich, m923a2.

Other question, once jumped from GL I can drive home, but if it is shut down and will not restart...do you recommend having chase vehicle charge batteries individually or just bit the bullet and show up with two new batteries...if so...any recommendations on where to purchase? size?

jw4x4

It depends on how dead the batteries are. If they are just low, you may be ok. I know of several examples of alternators being fried due to batteries being totally dead, vehicle being slave started. Having a spare set (likely to be 4 batteries) fully charged would be your best bet.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Be advised that if the batteries are too low you can damage the alternator by running it with dead batteries and you may have an issue with lights.

If it dies and you don't have another 24 volt vehicle with a set of slave cables you will be dead in the water unless you swap some hot batteries into it.....real bad idea if you don't have the batteries, tools or know how to reinstall them.

The tire issue may take some trouble shooting. Some of the tires had a valve stem that had a filler end one the back and front of the rim that ran into a single valve stem. If the system has been disabled but not removed you may not be getting air into the tire. But also be aware that it takes a longer time to air a big tire up using the gladhand hose that it does using a big line from a compressor.

Hope this helps.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did open the valve for the gladhand, right?

Which side gladhand were you using? Only one has air with the truck running.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have burned up two alternators, one in a Deuce and one in M813. The Deuce trying to jump a truck with totally dead batteries and saw smoke come out from under the hood. :-(
Two weeks ago after recovering Rebel's Deuce I left the 813's master switch on, started it with a big charger and as soon as I disconnected the charger, poof, the stock alt won't supply enough current to charge four dead batteries. :-(

Live and learn.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There may be a schrader valve inserted in the front valve stem which connects to the wheel valve via a hose. On the back of the wheel is a stem also you should be able to fill it that way. Having extra schrader valves and the screwdriver to insert them is a good idea just in case also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks