• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery still in Progress for M109A3

Galdron

Well after getting the truck and getting a good 150 miles down the road, the water pump went out on me. I did have a recovery vehicle and we started to work on her. A very nice fella allowed us to park it behind his barn in a secured area and we commenced to pulling the water pump. We read the TM and did not have a hard time pulling the pump off.

New pump will be here on Wednesday and recovery will continue at that time.
Picture will be forth coming as recovery continues.

Deuce was in Albany Ga and currently sits outside of Richland Ga.

91W350

I am so thankful that my deuce got me home. I took my M1008 up to Rapid City and it puked on me on the way up. I drove it a few hundred miles that I should not have and we got the deuce running. We had a couple of minor issues coming home, but the deuce quickly took over the role as recovery vehicle and the M1008 was along for tool, fluid, filter and spare tire supply. My trip was -20 to 18 above, very thankful it made it. I would have bet my next paycheck on that M1008 being trouble free. Poor Karl Kostman, he was probably wondering what kind of Mickey Mouse program he joined up with. 8) Thanks for sharing! Glen

phil2968

When did you pick it up? I was there Monday and recovered 2 M35's. One fella that picked up a M109 was driving it back to New Mexico! Wonder if he made it?

Galdron

Pump has been ordered and I have read the TM 9-2320-209-20-3-1 Chapter 6 and Table 6-1. I know it says to fill to one inch from top of filler cap but exactly how much coolant do I need to bring? I am guessing 5 gallons? I have not found the actual amount of coolant that this engine requires did I miss something?

I picked up on Thursday. Nice Chief Warren Officer at the reserve site in Albany. He was very helpful and just reminded me of my Senior Chief in the Bees who was like a second father to me.

The truck has a turbo C on it and I was pleased to hear that whistle, the tires are the Mich Xls and the truck did 56 miles an hour at 2200 RPM. I was very pleased with it. A small amount of Cancer on the roof that will be worked on. Her name will be Anastasia since I picked her up on the Feast day of St. Anastasia. Just like my M35A2C was named Lucy as I started the recovery on the Feast of Saint Lucy.

Last edited:

oilburner

When did you pick it up? I was there Monday and recovered 2 M35's. One fella that picked up a M109 was driving it back to New Mexico! Wonder if he made it?

Oilburner here; We were the guys that drove the M109 back to New Mexico .
turns out truck F-93 is a good one. drove 1590 miles in three days. rolled out of Albany Ga about 12:00 Monday spent Tuesday afternoon on Burbon street New Orleans ( fat tuesday) and rolled into Las Cruces New Mexcio Thursday night about 20:30 . I will post some pics and a log book. had to replace a tire stem core not the tube just the little center core. the speedo is wrong, the tach quit on the second day but the fuel gauge started working on the second day, thats it. 1/2 gallon of oil and a bunch of fuel. had it pinned aganst the gov. the whole way . blew out some oil at the blow by pipe not much.

Last edited: