• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery Tomorrow

harleyrkc

I've located and borrowed a tow bar, packed my service van, and my father will be following me in my service van. I know that the first truck runs and has breaks, the second is unknown. Both are winch trucks. The goal is to get the first running and hook the second one on the back. I have plently of chain to backup the towbar.

I have extra motor oil, a gallon of brake fluid, a full set of spare filters, spare bulbs, air chuck/hose/glad hand, bud lug socket, and a service van full of tools. I'm picking up new batteries in the morning, and will pick up five gallons of diesel. I have a Walmart parking lot and gas station within 2 miles of the base so I can top off the fuel tank and go over the truck a little better before the 65 mile trip home.

What am I missing or forgetting? What can I expect towing on my first tow?

SMOKEWAGON66

Sounds like you got it covered, but i will say that relying on the first truck to tow the second one that far seems like a pretty big gamble to me. But i wish you luck! Ive never towed a Deuce with another Deuce before so i cant say what to expect...all my flat tow experience has been 5 ton or higher. Just be sure to give yourself LOTS and LOTS of braking/following distance and plenty of "safety cushion" and leave yourself as many "outs" you can just in case.

R Racing

Brake fluid! And make sure the 2nd truck has brakes ,and you have to hoses with glad hands on both ends . Don't need ya sliding thru a intersection because the other trucks weight pushed you thru.

davey8943

Brake fluid! And make sure the 2nd truck has brakes ,and you have to hoses with glad hands on both ends . Don't need ya sliding thru a intersection because the other trucks weight pushed you thru.

:ditto:

I towbar-ed an M109A3 back with an M35A2 ~ 75 miles once. I hadn't hooked up the other truck's brakes and by the end of the trip (I guess I used enough shoe material that they needed adjusting?) the 109 pushed me straight through a red light!

I could have told you how the seat cover TASTED I puckered up so tight!

Bottom line, if you are going to flat towing a deuce with another deuce you had better be ready for anything to happen!

Good luck, and I wanna see some pictures!

Dave

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also forgot to answer your question on the lights....This is what you use...

you plug it into the trailer lights plug on the tow truck, and strap the lights onto the back of the truck being towed. i would have let you use it too, but i just sold it last week:roll:

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you can't find fancy tow lights you can take an three wire extension cord and come out of the trailer light socket on the front truck and go into the cannon plug on the turn signal switch (you have to uncouple the plug) of the truck being towed.....at the very least you can get the flashers to work.

There is a thread on here that shows how to do it and which hole to plug the wire into.......I have it somewhere but cant find it now.

Maybe someone else can direct you to it.

harleyrkc

What do I need to connect between the two trucks to get the brakes working on the rear deuce? I have my father pulling up the rear since I won't have lights back there.

I can take a slightly longer freeway route that will have little traffic and no stops or I can stay on the rural side roads with little traffic. I'm debating the freeway since I would avoid brake usage nearly the entire route.

harleyrkc

I kind of blew that off at first thinking I wouldn't have time to make that up, but now I'm thinking I should just pull that J-Tube and adapt straight into a male air chuck. I've got plenty of brass bushings and couplings on the van, and that line looks to be brake line. So all I would need is a short piece of brakeline and a brakeline x mpt fitting, and I should have the rest. I'll post tomorrow from the scene of the crime. :jumpin:

If anyone has more advice I'll check this thread from my phone tomorrow before hooking up.

wsucougarx

Sounds like you got it covered, but i will say that relying on the first truck to tow the second one that far seems like a pretty big gamble to me. But i wish you luck! Ive never towed a Deuce with another Deuce before so i cant say what to expect...all my flat tow experience has been 5 ton or higher. Just be sure to give yourself LOTS and LOTS of braking/following distance and plenty of "safety cushion" and leave yourself as many "outs" you can just in case.
:ditto:Make sure you leave plenty of room and always be aware of any "outs" as he said. I know it may prove futile in real world scenarios, but make sure your parking brake is good to go. It may not work as a panic brake but can certainly help to slow you down somewhat if needed.

phil2968

There are two different style airpacks out there, J-pipe and L-pipe. They will hook up in different ways.
If you have the air pack with a push in o-ringed fitting at the front (L-pipe) it will have to be done like this. We cut the tube with a tubing cutter and used a compression fitting to attach an adapter. You can reuse the tube by using a compression union when your done towing.

We did the double ended style by smiply unhooking the J pipe and swinging it to the middle of the truck. Then put a brass adapter from the flared pipe to a 1/4" pipe.
Hope this helps.

This mods were not permanent and could be reversed after towing. All this does it put air in to the back of the air paick to activate the brakes if your hydraulic side is good.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also forgot to answer your question on the lights....This is what you use...

you plug it into the trailer lights plug on the tow truck, and strap the lights onto the back of the truck being towed. i would have let you use it too, but i just sold it last week:roll:
Not to hijack but anyone got the NSN for this equipment? Would be appreciated.

harleyrkc

Congradulations on a safe recovery. How did you work out the brakes and lights?
Brakes were not a problem, I stayed on roads less traveled and kept my speed around 40 most of the way. I based my decision to run without the extra brakes after the drive to Walmart and a little further playing in the parking lot. No close calls and no white knuckles. Timed the few lights I went through for almost no stops.

As for lights, I had my father tailing me the entire way with 4-ways on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks