• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery trip # 4

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
ok, the guys left my house about an hour or so ago. They had the M62 with them and they unhooked the M54A1 from behind Cabel's 813 and hooked it up to the M62. Cabel had quite a time backing the 2 5 tons down my 200' driveway in the dark but he did a fine job. They guys were gonna run to about Commerce or so and hit the hay for the evening.

Sorry, no pics again. it was dark and we were trying to get everything done and go to dinner, which didn't happen.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Great picture bill, having four kids I have seen lots of those... Hope all is well and that the trip is progressing as planned. I saw a big storm headed over the midwest on the TV hope that you get home before that gets to your neck of the woods

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M62A1 must be running pretty good if they moved the M54A1 from the 813 to it. Did the M62 sound OK Clinto?

AMGeneral

Whew,We made it! Someone must've kept "Murphy" busy the whole 3 days.Cause the 62A1 ran like a champ all the way from Al,and towed the 54A1 all the way from Clint's house!!Only minor mishap during the entire trip,I ended up trading mirrors with a trucker coming out of Leesburgh,he was literally 2 feet on my side of the road!!!

Rarely had to even shift down except on a few hills.Did have to pull the front driveshaft because of vibration(U joint or loose yoke not sure).Cabell is headed west on I-40 twards home 813 with the M37 in tow.Pics will be posted this evening,just gotta re-arrange stuff in the driveway first.

PICS!!!!!,not many,we were too busy getting all this stuff together to make the 400 mile journey home,but here's a few....

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outstanding Brandon. Congrats to you and Cabell for some nice scores and a safe ride home. You have my dream wrecker now. Remember, some of the hoses have fittings made of unobtanium. Andy Bell (M108) made up some cool adapters that I'd like to get to replicate. Post more pics of the stuff when you can including the way cool boom extension. Another thing, since you are drifting back in time and redoing your motorpool, maybe we should change your name from AM General to MACK. LOL

AMGeneral

Kenny,I think that boom extension is gonna be the first thing to hit the scrap pile,actually the entire bed may be getting swapped if I get this other M62 parts truck close to me.Both trucks don't have the same turbo,this may account for the cargo being stronger and pushing out more smoke.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting on the turbos. I figured the "Bucket Truck" device would get chopped right away. How does it compare to the old M816 as far as power, driveablity and overall truck? That truck is an incredible score.

AMGeneral

Well,just got off the phone with Cabell,he made it home no problems(except with 1 minor incident with a NC State Trooper,but I'll let him explain that) so all in all trip went without a hitch.

Kenny,As far as power goes,it pulls well ,accelerates quicker,handleing is pretty much the same,just not as fast(52 vs 56 mph) just gotta do a little tweaking to get it dialed in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks