• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery trip - assistance IN-CASE

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am recovering my very first Deuce. I believe that I have things prepared as well as reasonably possible when taking a 35y old truck on a 1200 mile trip.
My handicap is: no chase vehicle and no second set of hands.

I would like to have, as a last resort, a few fellow SS members I could call or who would perhaps even have the capacity to help me out - just in case something goes horribly wrong and I can't fix it.

WHEN: Fri, August 28 to Mo August 31

ROUTE: up from Lynchburg VA to Staunton, along I 81 to Winchester, I 77 and 99 to Hollidaysburg/Altoona, North via Dubois to Eldred PA, Rochester NY, Syracuse and then to Ogdensburg, NY.
Here is a mapquest link: Driving Directions from Charlotte Court House, VA to Kanata, ON, CA

This need not be public; you can just PM me.

dm22630

I am in Front Royal, VA. I can help you from Harrisonburg, VA to West Virginia along I-81 (approx 80 mile stretch).

My cell # is 540-305-5000

Leave me a message if I dont pick up.

Good Luck!

Keith_J

Well, 300 miles a day can be done easily. Does it have ALL the OVM? Tire REPAIRING tools? A few feet of chain to wrap the wheel in lieu of a cage? Spare DOT5, MC and WC rebuilding kits? A gallon of paint thinner for solvent (brake repair, use it to degrease linings). Tube fitting kit? Pressure brake bleeding kit (a cheap 1/4 NPT air pressure regulator, 1/4 NPT fittings and hose to go from the air pressure tap to the 1/8 NPT fitting on top of the MC cover)? With the pressure bleeding kit, you still have to check the level after each WC is bled.

Then you need security for these items as you sleep, unless you bivy in the bed with your scattergun at your side;-)

I could be convinced to ride shotgun, if you paid my expenses.

WPNS421

Hi
Not a problem can help you from Ogdensburg north. If you have a major problem and the truck cannot roll give me a call I have truck and trailer that can haul a deuce. I haul my own Cdn deuces with it. Don't forget you must sent the title, bill of sale to the Border & Customs 3 working days before you cross the border. Can I ask why you are crossing at Ogdensburg and not by Watertown area. When I bought my M 35 and M109A3 home we crossed at Watertown. We used the 401 and then the 416, the truck will do 50 mph or 80 kmh and is allowed on both highways. Once you get it home call us, we are just north of Gatineau 15 mins from downtown. Welcome to the M35 owners club, During that weekend we will be at a show at the Canadian Aviation Museum but we will have our cell open (819) 664-1388. If you want to take a look at the M35 before you leave give us a call and come and see ours during the day or evening,819 827 4361 after seeing one up close you will better understand the truck.
P.S. Make sure that you have a can of black spray paint because BCP could ask you to hide all military markings on the truck. If you don't have spray paint they might make you go get some 60 miles return. The crossing at the border is very easy but it must be done during working hours.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the offers of help and I hope I will not need a single one of them!

I will heed the advice (the black spray paint is smart) and, yes, I will have a box of spares (coolant hoses, hose clamps, DOT5 etc.) which I sent ahead. Since I fly down, I am limited in what I can bring. It is all a good excuse to buy Deuce tools on the way!:)

This weekend is THE weekend!

WPNS421

Hi Wesfolk
Thanks for the headsup, waiting for him in case we have to recouver, I can haul the m35 on my trailer if need be, but I doubt it. One more M35 coming to Canada :pheehee,:-D:-D soon we will have enough for a small convoy.

WPNS421

Love this site and the people on it you do not hesitate to help a fellow hobbists. Proud to be a member of the gang, member from the North.

LanceRobson

I'm in Auburn, NY, about 20 miles west of I-81, a little south of Syracuse.

If he needs help anywhere from Ithaca north to Sandy Creek, call me.

Lance

315-374-3587

D8Dave, Doghead and others are along this stretch, too.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove the truck close to 800 miles in the last two days and made it to Watertown, NY. Shut down for the night. Need to troubleshoot charging system tomorrow, my batteries are dying.
Now...bed!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks