• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

recovery ??

jayjetseck

i just purchased a duece w/w from private seller for a great deal but its missing the aluminum elbow between the manifold and the turbo . my question is if i replace this peice and dont hook up the 3 hoses will it run fine once started , i need to drive it 2 hrs home , i dont think it will be an issue but some qualified answer will reassure the angst im having ! will of course take a wide assortment of tools for any other un expected problems . i did purchase the replacement part from another fellow ss member. thanks for every thing guys

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all the parting of deuces here, SOMEONE has to have the piece you need....

And yes, you NEED to hook up the other lines on the turbo. They are oil lines, and the turbo wont last very long (like a few minutes) without oil.....

jayjetseck

the guy im buying this duece from said when he purchased it from gl it was missing this elbow and my qustion is can i drive it if i just install elbow with out hooking up the 3 lines that go to it or could i possible drive it without installing elbow and just seal up manifold and replace turbo elbow when i get home and can hook up proper?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jay, post a pic from the parts tm with the part you need identified.

If your asking if it will run without the turbo output connected to the intake, yes it will run but you will have no filtration to safeguard your engine, and it will run like crud and smoke a lot(very little power).

If you are asking about running it with the turbo hooked up but no connection to the air filter, that is as bad or worse, you may ruin the turbo if something gets into the intake side).

If you are just asking if it can be run without the cold start flame heater lines(and nozzle?) installed, yes, but wrap some duct tape over the holes to keep your air pressure(boost) in. And you can fix it when you get home. are your flame heater lines connected to the nozzle bock? You will need to plug them,if not.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think most people here (including me ) understand what "lines" you are talking about.

jayjetseck

i know the one is an oil line and the other two look like vacuum lines of sorts , i know the oil must be hooked up, i just dont want to mess with the two ,itll be cold and doubt my fingers will work very well when frozen on such small items with o rings . thanks guys

Jones

Best to make sure everything's connected properly before you start on a two hour drive home.

Hard to say without a picture but here goes;

Elbow between turbo and manifold is necessary so the boost gets to the engine. Otherwise it'll be very underpowered and can (and will) inhale anything the airstream picks up.

The small lines you mention sound like engine manifold heater lines. They should be hooked up so you don't drool fuel down a hot engine should the heater leak. Diesels don't make manifold vacuum so whatever's there aren't vacuum lines.

I'm assuming, from your description, that the lube oil feed and drain lines to the turbo center section (cartridge) are there and connected; if not, they MUST be hooked up.

Same with the air filter to turbo inlet connection(s) so you don't get FOD to your turbo. Even very small chunks can do a lot of damage at 50K+ turbo shaft RPM.

Last edited:

deuceman51

He is talking about the flame manifold heater lines that connect to the upper aluminum body. They are the small fuel ones and then the igniter that goes into it. That is what I got out of his defination. If the turbo does not have the oil supply and return lines you will ruin it because the exhaust will still drive the turbo without oil to it. Either way, I would not run it without that part because of how much crud the intake will take in since it will not be filtered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks