• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red Dot A/c Question

fnpurist

I just bought a red dot ac unit NSN 4130015233966 to use on my soon to come m998 soft top. Have any of you installed this same one? tips and thoughts about it? Im not crazy about mounting the condenser on the top or back of the cab but if its the only way to have ac then ill live with it. I saw a couple of different styles of condensers , one that goes in the rear wheel well and one that goes on top of the radiator. Could I substitute one of those for the one that came with my kit with ease or will it create big problems? Pics of the system are belowred dot pic.jpg[h=2][/h]

fnpurist

Lots of views but no bites. I figured a lot of guys here would have knowledge on these but I guess its only necessary if you live in the south.

fnpurist

I know, I figured there would be a lot more info than is out there so hopefully this thread will become a lot of help for people in the future. I should get my kit next Friday and ill let you know if any instructions come with it ( I was told that it does) . Ill post them on here if it does

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I sold a ton of the kits but never installed one. It's only recently that the humvees have been released in quantity most of the kits I sold went in 5tons. A condenser is a condenser you will need one large enough for your system. Sometimes you can take the housing off and still use the fans with the existing comdenser. Most of the kits I had were made for the hardtop slant backs the condenser bolts on the slant. Anything can be customized for the right price. I have some humvee condensers that I believe are front mount they don't have fans but I think you are better off trying to use the one you already have just without the housing.

fnpurist

Ive seen several condensers without the two fans and were the ones I was inquiring about. Im not very knowledgeable with a/c's so I have no idea how this would affect the overall system. If it means it just wont blow as cold, then im fine with that but if itll harm the other components , ill just stick with the original. The kit I bought is for an A2 but it shouldn't be hard to fabricate the mounting hardware to mount it several ways regardless of the model. The only problem I have is how obtrusive itll be on the exterior considering I may haul lumber, etc from time to time on the roof/ bed with custom racks I plan on building

quickfarms

The are two designs of condensers out there. One works great for R12 but is not optimum for R134. The other type is optimized for R134.

The bigger condenser is better to a point.

Airflow is just as important for the condenser to function properly

The only real issue with changing the condenser is fabricating new hoses. These can be made to adapt one fitting to another.

My only advice is to stay away from the snap lock fittings.

ClintA

I bought a M923 out of AZ that came with a Red Dot AC unit installed, I did not try it to see if it worked, no offence but it made it look like a sissy girl truck so I took it all off. The part that I really do not like is all the holes it has to have to plum everything in the cab, this truck has a hard top and I had to silicone all the holes to keep water out. I am not impressed but each to his own, I guess cold air and comfort are ones choice, I hope it all turns out good for you and the way you like.

DoctorCheney223

We've installed four of them on our trucks. These all went on slantbacks and they are all "drop-in" and bolt-on kits. Real easy installation but holes will have to be drilled on the rear hatch. I believe one of ours came with brackets for both slantback and soft-top.

HMMWV1.jpg

V/R
Ron

ZZ4x4

I installed the same kit that you have which is designed for the armored non-slantback or slantback. The poles are supposed to mount to the armor plate behind the rear seats. I used a 1/2 inch plate which supported the poles plus the evaporator mount for the inside unit. I added a couple supports as shown to make it more sturdy. This allows removal of the soft top without removing any freon lines. The arctic top has a cutout that worked perfectly with the AC. DSCN1046.jpg

fnpurist

Looks really good, I got my system today and it came with a good manual so if anyone needs any pages scanned from it let me know. Too many pages to scan to this thread. Now I just have to wait for my EUC to clear. Hopefully it doesn't take 8 weeks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks