• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red flashing light nstead of the buzzer?

meindl

Anyone know of a 24v warning pressure light, instead of the buzzer on a deuce for the low air pressure warning? Just do not like the buzzer deal.
Thanks, Meindl

F18hornetM

I dont know why that buzzer seems to bother some folks. I start up the truck, walk around it, kick the tires, by then its done. Guess working on trucks all my life i'm used to the noise, just doesnt bother me. Plus a light you may not notice, the buzzer WILL get your attention. But just my 2 cents, its certainly your truck.
For what its worth, heaven forbid your ever in an accident and you lost air pressure and the warning system has been modified, your butt is cooked. Just a thought. LIABLE !!

Last edited:

ratat98

I'm with hornet.
We have a freightliner at work that I was driving once, and the buzzer got stuck. I had to drive it 60 miles with the buzzer going constantly....actually got used to it after 59.9 miles...

212sparky

The buzzer is required by federal law if you operate any vehicle equipped with air used for the brake system, including our trucks. If you disable it and get in a accident you will not have insurance because the vehicle safety equipment is not working. Do what you want but law is law and one accident can ruin it for the rest of us.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I would not consider taking my truck on the road with the buzzer disabled. If it were to get stuck on like in ratat98's 60 mile trip, it would be easy to pull over and unplug it temporarily, since it's accessible under the dash without any tools (that may not have been the case in the truck that ratat98 had trouble with). Sometimes I'll unplug the buzzer during maintenance, i.e. to be able to hear the in-tank pump from the cab when working on a truck that's giving me starting trouble. It needs to be plugged in and working before the truck hits the road, though. It's loud and annoying for a good reason: If it goes off while under way, it signals an emergency that needs immediate attention.

Rustygears

The buzzer is not required by law. A light or other visual indicator (other than the gauge) is. Such indicators include lights or mechanical 'wig wag' flags. This is a CDL test question!

With that said, I think the buzzer is a good compliment to the light. Lights often burn out. And as previously mentioned, by the time I do my CDL mandatory pre-check walk around, the truck is aired up and buzzer off. With empty tanks, when I first start the engine it usually takes only about 30 seconds to air up past 60 psi, where the buzzer and light (by law) cut out.

Last edited:

F18hornetM

I could be wrong but I think all the law says is a warning device. Dont have book with me so cant check. I do know DOT inspectors listen for the alarm for low psi warning. Never had one look for a light. My point is, if it had it. I wouldnt change it, add a light would do no harm, but take away a safety device and doesnt do any good.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It says if there, MUST operate and CAN NOT be removed, this applies even to ADDED safety devices, not OE cool, but once there or OE IT STAYS, many years ago won a court case on this.

ratat98

(that may not have been the case in the truck that ratat98 had trouble with).
I wish... The Freightliner we have has two water temp sensors. One for the gauge, and one for the buzzer/light. We could tell that the buzzer started coming on when the water temp got into operational safe range and obviously the engine wasn't getting hot... After tracking the wiring for the gauge sensor we were dumbfounded. In the end we finally figured out there were two sensors and the buzzer one was defective. I think we just bypassed it because we couldn't find a new sensor anywhere. If I could have just unplugged the stupid thing I would have!!! I was close to taking a hammer under the dash! Anyways, in that case, yes I think it's ok to unhook a censor. But if DOT stops you here, they make you keep pressing on the brakes until the buzzer comes on so they can make sure the "warning device" is working properly.

wsucougarx

I have both the light and buzzer. The reason to keep the buzzer is two-fold. First I am more apt to notice the buzzer while driving down the road over the light (unless dark). Second, if a guy where to try and steal my deuce, the buzzer would hopefully freak them out (unless they know about the buzzer).

wdbtchr

I have both the light and buzzer. The reason to keep the buzzer is two-fold. First I am more apt to notice the buzzer while driving down the road over the light (unless dark). Second, if a guy where to try and steal my deuce, the buzzer would hopefully freak them out (unless they know about the buzzer).
Just thinkin' how about adding a buzzer connected through a manual switch(maybe out of sight) turn it on when you leave and turn it off when you return. Think a very annoying burgler alarm.:shock:

dmetalmiki

I have warning lights and the buzzers in all mine. Also "capillory" temperature guages with built in switches (on-to off/off-to on) which turn on"something" or turn Off something if the temperaturs goes too high.
I have warning buzzers on the OIL pressure switches too!.
I have had LOW oil pressure (and not noticed!)
I have had HIGH water temperature (and not noticed)
I NOTICE NOW Allright!

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
^ Buzzer is better when you're driving around. Even truckers like me get complacent in reading gauges...the buzzer is the smartest IMO.

Rustygears

^ Buzzer is better when you're driving around. Even truckers like me get complacent in reading gauges...the buzzer is the smartest IMO.
Agreed. That's why many commercial fleet vehicles have motorminder systems to trip a buzzer whenever air, oil, temp and other things get out of safe operating range. Some minders will shut the engine down if the buzzer rings for more than some short preset time unless you push an override button or shift to 1st gear, etc. depending on the particular system. As a teenager, I learned diesel repair on used Greyhound buses for Vegas runs. That motorminder was a PITA for the driver if it malfunctioned!

emr

No disrespect to this post at all intended here, all questions are good, But I think it would be interesting to see what a Military truck would look like with all the things people need to change as soon as they get em, Mines better because i did this, mines better because i took that off ... :) I think its all part of the hobby and enjoy our trucks for what they are, " Tactical vehicles designed for there needs, and very well at that for sure. , but everybody is different for sure, but kinda like when OSHA or another guv agency gets there hands on something with some idea on how to make it better, :) never seems to work :) Faster than they were designed for , no safety warnings or less noticeable , bigger tires than they were designed for, wheres the key :) I loved that thread of stuff like this, got to look it up for a laugh today... My air tanks have air in them , but then after a day or so it leaks out :):) it leaks out :) I need more buzzers, I need less :): all in fun, it just seems funny to me, Happy Easter :)

meindl

The buzzer is not a deal breaker for me, but would still rather have a blinking red light readily visible. Maybe placed in an overly obviuos location for maximum visibility.
Thanks for replies and thoughts, Meindl

Kohburn

if using a light - then use a color of light that is not a common color - something like a bright yellow.

when you have red dash lights and another re dlight comes on it can easily be overlooked. but when a NEW color pops on it gets attention.

F18hornetM

EMR - That is true how everyone likes there trucks a certain way, and its interesting too. I for one like mine stock, Just like as if it came out of the motor pool. Thats how I remember them. But others are neat with big tires, air ride seats and crew cabs. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks