• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

red

I've been finding posts of others cranking up the stock turbo to 15-19 without head lift issues, with stronger studs and a good gasket mid 20's shouldn't be an issue

red

Found a post from rustystud listing the ARP head stud info:

Got the part numbers from "ARP" . The studs are all 9/16" . The 6.160" long stud is # AQ6.120-1LB , price is $11.50 ea. . The 6.380" long stud is # AQ6.500-1LB , price is $12.34 ea. The 2.620" long stud does not have an exact match, but this is the closest and should work fine, #AQ3.475-1LB , price is $6.58 ea. The heavy duty washers are # 200-8515 , price is $0.96 ea. The nuts are a 12 point and are # 300-8305 , price is $8.44 ea. The grand total if you use their washers and the special 12 point nuts is $567.44 . If you only buy the studs and use your own nuts and washers the price is $304.24 . Of course shipping is extra.<br />
All the studs and nuts and washers are rated at 200,000 PSI tensile strength. This would be more then enough to hold our heads on !<br/>

rustystud

Found a post from rustystud listing the ARP head stud info:

Got the part numbers from "ARP" . The studs are all 9/16" . The 6.160" long stud is # AQ6.120-1LB , price is $11.50 ea. . The 6.380" long stud is # AQ6.500-1LB , price is $12.34 ea. The 2.620" long stud does not have an exact match, but this is the closest and should work fine, #AQ3.475-1LB , price is $6.58 ea. The heavy duty washers are # 200-8515 , price is $0.96 ea. The nuts are a 12 point and are # 300-8305 , price is $8.44 ea. The grand total if you use their washers and the special 12 point nuts is $567.44 . If you only buy the studs and use your own nuts and washers the price is $304.24 . Of course shipping is extra.<br />
All the studs and nuts and washers are rated at 200,000 PSI tensile strength. This would be more then enough to hold our heads on !<br/>
I'd pop for the 12 point nuts myself as they are 120,000psi rated. I had a good long talk with the "ARP" rep and told him exactly what we needed for our multifuel engine. He was the one who recommended we use the 12 point nuts, and their install lube.

Hainebd

You people know more about these Hyperfuel engines than I. My impression was the rods are a weak point on these engines. Those that have let loose have put a hole in the block.

welldigger

You people know more about these Hyperfuel engines than I. My impression was the rods are a weak point on these engines. Those that have let loose have put a hole in the block.
Eh...his goal is 200 hp. I'm not really concerned with the bottom end. I'm more worried about head flex/lift and egt's. These heads really aren't well designed for flow and heat dissipation.

That and many people have gone down the rabbit hole of chasing different turbos. Even the ones who succeeded admitted the gains were minimal at best. Fact of the matter is slapping on a bigger turbo doesn't always lead to better results. But if he's willing to experiment then I won't tell him not to.

red

Exactly, not a high power goal (very happy with just 180hp), the main goals are reliability and efficiency. I stay below 2300rpm, with a cruising preference of 2100.

The stock turbos were installed for emissions, not power or efficiency.

Another Ahab

I'd pop for the 12 point nuts myself as they are 120,000psi rated. I had a good long talk with the "ARP" rep and told him exactly what we needed for our multifuel engine. He was the one who recommended we use the 12 point nuts, and their install lube.
What's that you're referring to, rustystud:

- some proprietary anti-seize compound (applied to the threads)?

red

Mounted up a waste oil/other fuels filter station on the front of the trailer. Need to finish the mounts and make a box for it to protect from the weather.

New hx35w arrived today as well.

uploadfromtaptalk1426678405742.jpguploadfromtaptalk1426678422445.jpg

rustystud

Mounted up a waste oil/other fuels filter station on the front of the trailer. Need to finish the mounts and make a box for it to protect from the weather.

New hx35w arrived today as well.

View attachment 548316View attachment 548317
I like the idea of having your own portable fuel filter station. That way you'll always have a fuel supply as long as you take your trailer along. My buddy who owns a service station in Seattle has to pay to have his old oil hauled away. He would love to see you come over and take a few hundreds gallons of oil away :)

Another Ahab

I like the idea of having your own portable fuel filter station. That way you'll always have a fuel supply as long as you take your trailer along. My buddy who owns a service station in Seattle has to pay to have his old oil hauled away. He would love to see you come over and take a few hundreds gallons of oil away
Sounds good to me!
Fuel for the asking:

- And it's a win for both parties (Giver/ "Givee")

- Deal doesn't get better than THAT. Nice set-up!

Last edited:

red

I like the idea of having your own portable fuel filter station. That way you'll always have a fuel supply as long as you take your trailer along. My buddy who owns a service station in Seattle has to pay to have his old oil hauled away. He would love to see you come over and take a few hundreds gallons of oil away :)
Inform him I'll be happy to help! Like Ahrab said, its mutually beneficial haha.

red

New fuel lines are plumbed, secondary filter is upgraded to a spin on, FDC bypassed, and mostly done with removing the fuel supply for the flame heater. Need to get another 1/4" pipe plug to seal it off. Won't be by the truck this weekend so it will have to wait until Sunday night or Monday.

On a side note my new drill arrived today. I use a Rigid 18v impact with work a lot so decided to buy the 18v drill to go with it, replace the 8+ year old dewalt I had. **** good upgrade, big improvement with torque

rustystud

Fuel for the asking:

- And it's a win for both parties (Giver/ "Givee")

- Deal doesn't get better than THAT. Nice.
You might want to check out service stations in your area. The reason it cost so much to have your oil removed is that the remover must be "EPA" approved for proper disposal. No dumping it in the rivers or ocean or buried in the backyard kind of stuff. Since your "using" the oil there should be no problems. In fact my buddy installed a oil fired furnace to heat his shop to help get rid of some of the oil, but even with the furnace he still has to have a lot hauled away. I haven't started to use old oil yet, but in the future I plan to set up a filter station and start blending my own fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks