• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

rustystud

I have a little 4500 pound from Mile Marker sitting there right now. So far it works great, will upgrade if necessary. Going to run a heavy chain for a snatch block mount to double the rating when required.

View attachment 553074

Mounted a pressure gauge on the tank. 5-6psi with the power on. Gotta double check but 11-13psi is where it should be if I remember right. Ran about 80-gallons of fuel, at least 60 was diesel over the last 3 days.
View attachment 553075
On my truck with the new fuel pump the pressure stays at 10psi. Right in the middle.

red

Rusty is that with the engine running or just the electrical system on?

Just installed a gauge after the final fuel filter so I'll be able to find out if the high pressure pump is functioning properly.

Reading through the trouble shooting TM it calls for 5-7 psi from the tank pump (engine off) and 35-70 psi (idle-max no load) from the HP pump.

I know its not the button on the hydraulic head because the engine does eventually start and will stay running.

rustystud

Vacation Orcas Island  4-15 to 18-2014 108.jpg002.jpg
Rusty is that with the engine running or just the electrical system on?

Just installed a gauge after the final fuel filter so I'll be able to find out if the high pressure pump is functioning properly.

Reading through the trouble shooting TM it calls for 5-7 psi from the tank pump (engine off) and 35-70 psi (idle-max no load) from the HP pump.

I know its not the button on the hydraulic head because the engine does eventually start and will stay running.
With just the pump on, the pressure is 10psi. With the truck running at idle it's around 40psi. At 2200rpm's the pressure is 60psi, that's when my relief valve kicks-in. This is pressure at the filters just before the Hydraulic Head. I measure my pressures at the tank and at the fuel filters.
Somehow I got my MEP-002A fuel line picture in here. Disregard.

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like your tail roller and winch setup. I'm thinking of doing the same with my S280. I'm going to make my tail roller removable though with receiver hitch tubes mounted on each side of the bed. That way I can remove the roller when not needed. I've also got a dump installed so unloading should go easier (just dump it out, with the winch holding it, of course).

I was worried that a 8K winch wouldn't be enough but looks like you're loading a much heavier shelter with a 4,500lb winch. I may still go with a 8K though because I've also got a deuce tanker bed that I'm thinking of putting some skids under so I can winch it up into the bed when needed.

Since I already have the dump installed, moving the bed back would take a whole lot of work so I'm going to mount my winch under the bed and use some rollers to get the line to come out in front of the bed.

red

Having your roller removable should be great, just remember that it takes 4 mounts for strength/stability. The 2 center mounts are attached to the bed's frame, holding most of the weight.

Oh and the S280 itself, don't attach the winch to the anchor mounts, they are not strong enough for repeated use. We found that out the hard way when one of them broke.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh and the S280 itself, don't attach the winch to the anchor mounts, they are not strong enough for repeated use. We found that out the hard way when one of them broke.
My shelter didn't have a skid under it when I got it so I'm building one. I've got some 4" I-beam that I'm building the runners out of. I'll attach my pull point to that.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My shelter didn't have a skid under it when I got it so I'm building one. I've got some 4" I-beam that I'm building the runners out of. I'll attach my pull point to that.
Not 100%,but pretty sure or at least the only ones I have seen with the skids on them are also the ones that have the dolly mounting brackets on them like Red's.

red

It should have a subframe on it. Either way though your plan with the I beam should be a solid anchor point to attach the winch to.

Ordering a new in tank pump tomorrow. Pulled an injector line and cranked it over, fuel is coming out of the hydraulic head with good pressure, for awhile. Gauge on the tank is down to 5psi, the new gauge just after the final filter is reading nothing, with new filters.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, you may be right. I really don't know much about the shelters and haven't been able to find much info either. Most of the shelters I've seen though had something under on the bottom that had fork pockets in them, this shelter does not.

There is definitely something missing on the bottom of my S280. When I went to pick it up there was a center aluminum runner laying under it that had been broken off from moving it around with the loader. On both sides there were "V" shaped aluminum pieces with rubber glued to it. I assumed these "V" pieces and rubber were some sort of isolation mount that the skids attached to.

I'll take some detailed pics of what's under there to show what I'm taking about and post it in my thread as not to hijack this thread any more. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?137906-S-280-camper-build&highlight=

I really curious on what I'm missing under there though.

red

I really curious on what I'm missing under there though.
Not the best pic but it gives you a glimpse of the sub frame and anchor points. I have 2 short videos from when we unloaded the shelter, but the site refuses to load them. Can see the sub frame well in one of the vids.

uploadfromtaptalk1428866861641.jpg

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only way I've ever done video is make a Youtube video and link to it. I don't know if you can download a video directly to the site, Patracy would know.

I'd like to see the video though.

red

While I'm waiting for the pump, figured I'd get ready to put the canvas on.

Its for an M36 so will take some folding to get it the right length, but was the cheapest option and I can get it cut down at a later date. Gives me extra material for other uses as well.

uploadfromtaptalk1428869617516.jpg

rustystud

It should have a subframe on it. Either way though your plan with the I beam should be a solid anchor point to attach the winch to.

Ordering a new in tank pump tomorrow. Pulled an injector line and cranked it over, fuel is coming out of the hydraulic head with good pressure, for awhile. Gauge on the tank is down to 5psi, the new gauge just after the final filter is reading nothing, with new filters.
There was a guy on eBay selling some new "Parker" take outs for only $50.00 . Their the same design as our "Olympic" pumps and will fit right in. Hopefully he still has some left.

red

Was halfway hoping that the pickup screen was just clogged, nope, pump is just worn out. So I'm stuck at the house until the new pump arrives, probably Wednesday.

uploadfromtaptalk1428936384606.jpg