• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And voilà, the bed is off!

Went ahead and mocked up the winch mount.

Figure with the bed off I'll go ahead and do what I can for other mods. Rear winch, trailer hitch, and relocate the air tanks in preparation for the second transmission.
How'd you take the bed off? I assume a dozen strong men? :D

red

Waiting for the mount's paint to dry so started the air tank relocation. I have to move the tanks to make room for a later project. Can't stay there, can't go to the very back because of the rear winch, so they are getting tucked into the frame rails above the axle. Concerned about axle clearance when fully flexed, but if the axle hits it will dent the tanks.

Attachments

Hainebd

Just my 2 cents but why not bolt winch mount to sides of frame? I was always told not to drill into the top or bottom of frame except in the very front or rear where stress is minimal. I have broken truck frames and I know the Deuces frame is not that great. Tons of frame flex.

Hainebd

I have that shelter. It is cool and will make a great camper. It fits into the bed but you can't open. Your winch is to small. This shelter weight is close to 8,000 pounds. I tried double line 5,000 winch and no go.

Another Ahab

Just my 2 cents but why not bolt winch mount to sides of frame? I was always told not to drill into the top or bottom of frame except in the very front or rear where stress is minimal. I have broken truck frames and I know the Deuces frame is not that great. Tons of frame flex.
You're right about penetrations in the web of a beam. My background is carpentry, but engineering principle is the same regardless of material (+/-).

I know there are steel guys onboard here who can speak more directly to all this.

holes in beams.jpg

red

It does. There are 4 mounting surfaces with the mount I made. The tops on both frame rails, and the outsides of both rails.

I'm curious about the weight on the shelter. All the info I'm finding is 2-3k pounds empty.

Hainebd

It does. There are 4 mounting surfaces with the mount I made. The tops on both frame rails, and the outsides of both rails.

I'm curious about the weight on the shelter. All the info I'm finding is 2-3k pounds empty.
I have not weighed it. It is a guess based on being on the trailer. It is solid with steel brackets, stainless full length hinges. We use a loader to raise and hold the roof section. It is more than two people can handle. Plus I do not know how wet the inside of the panels are. The bottom is not smooth. It does have two full length beams underneath. The piping, wiring all add weight.

red

Will know soon enough with the winch, Carnac is dropping off the shelter next weekend.

Tanks are relocated, most of the new lines run. Also mounted the winch and its bracket.

Yes, I cheated by using the crane to hold the tank for me. The winch mount goes between the frame and the fuel tank bracket, so it had to be unbolted and spaced out.

Attachments

red

Well, now I can't build over 40psi with the air system. No leaks, just won't build pressure. No kinks either. I did move the pop off valve on the tank.

red

Cleaned the filter, pulled both lines off the compressor and let it run for a few minutes (minimal pressure coming out of the main line, could plug it with my thumb). Sprayed a little air tool oil in the intake side.

Reconnected, pressure build to just over 30. Bled the tanks, right at 30. I'm thinking the compressor is dying.

Temps are around 65 today and yesterday, lows in the 40s so I don't think ice is a concern. No water came out of anything.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Attach any old compressor to the starboard glad hand and look for leaks without engine/compressor running. If the "attached" compressor cycles off and truck system holds pressure then the engine driven compressor/regulator is at fault.
Anyhow it is quieter.

Last edited:

rustystud

Check the air compressor unloader valves. They are located behind the air intake. They are controlled by the regulator which should be located on the firewall. These valves can become stuck due to carbon buildup from the compressor and will not allow the compressor to build air pressure.

red

Great and bad news yesterday.

The great news. Started securing the bed back onto the frame. Each bracket was pushed back about 6 inches so having to drill new holes through the frame to bolt them in place.

Also Carnac came by and delivered the MUST expandable shelter. Great guy, we hung out for a little while before he had to get back on the road.

Bad news is the air compressor. Pulled the little unloader valves out, cleaned them up and no change.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks