• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

red

Agreed, didn't check the temp before disassembly. After I removed the wheel and started to tear into the hub I couldn't hold any of the parts with gloves on, too hot. The old grease was burnt black, and gritty.

When I did the super singles conversion I repacked all the other hubs with better quality grease, forgot this hub.

Another Ahab

New outer bearings don't fit past the threads.
Sometimes I feel dread before starting a new project, just because of the anticipation of how wrong it can all go.

No matter how hard you try to get something right, it often seems like the gods are out to get you. You just got to laugh.

red

Wheel bearings are good to go now. Took the truck for a test drive, cruises up to 50-53mph without complaint. Can't get over that since the start of the last trip.

Its a lack of fuel issue. Yes the electric pump is pushing 55psi through a 1/2" fuel line. Per the TM's the injection pump needs 35 psi at 700 rpm, and 70 psi at 2900rpm (before the secondary/final filters) through the stock 3/8" line. That's roughly a 5psi of fuel increase for every 300rpm increase. The new pump is sending a higher volume, but at a lower pressure.

Hydraulic head works, but is it at maximum potential? Since I've had the 2300rpm wall always, I think its worn out.

welldigger

Sounds like your booster pump failed leading to fuel starvation to the hh. This will wear out a hh real fast. If I had to guess a new injector pump is in your near future.

red

I'm at 4 flats turned up so far. Have the normal FDC injection pump.

Pretty sure your right welldigger, the booster pump died out during the trip to drop off the shelter, so at least a few hundred miles of accelerated wear.

welldigger

I'm at 4 flats turned up so far. Have the normal FDC injection pump.

Pretty sure your right welldigger, the booster pump died out during the trip to drop off the shelter, so at least a few hundred miles of accelerated wear.
Patracy accidentally ran his dry and that killed his head within only a few miles. I'm sure his hh was already fairly worn but when something catastrophic happens it doesn't take long to put it over the edge and kill it.

Unfortunately this isn't the greatest injector pump design I have dealt with.

welldigger

Agreed, I'm not sure I can justify (to myself) over a grand for this injection pump when this one dies.
If you can find an injector pump shop they can usually rebuild them for cheaper than a grand. Usually.

Unfortunately your hh is on its last leg. That's the big money part of the pump and they can't fix it. Only replace it.

What you could do is put up a wanted ad for a booster pump and buy a new hh and you will probably be around 5 to 600. You can replace these parts in your driveway.

red

I went with an electric fuel pump, Raptor 150 high pressure. Couldn't find a replacement stock booster pump without buying a complete injection pump.

If the HH gives up the ghost over the next 2 weeks during the trip I'll buy a new one. If it doesn't, we will see. Maybe a engine swap in the future?

welldigger

I went with an electric fuel pump, Raptor 150 high pressure. Couldn't find a replacement stock booster pump without buying a complete injection pump.

If the HH gives up the ghost over the next 2 weeks during the trip I'll buy a new one. If it doesn't, we will see. Maybe a engine swap in the future?
Not enough pressure from that electric pump to reliably feed the hh.

That's why I said put a wanted ad up. Or call ambac. They are actually pretty cool about selling parts directly to the customer. Or even an email to them. They are good about replying.

I know at least at one time gimpyrobb and Floridianson had some parts ip's.

red

The electric pump is reliably feeding it for up to 2300rpm. So I am running out of fuel at the top end.

On the upside, if I do an engine swap to either a 5.9 Cummins or a 6.6 Duramax, that pump is good for a 700+HP build. Way overkill haha.

welldigger

The electric pump is reliably feeding it for up to 2300rpm. So I am running out of fuel at the top end.

On the upside, if I do an engine swap to either a 5.9 Cummins or a 6.6 Duramax, that pump is good for a 700+HP build. Way overkill haha.
That would be pretty awesome. I always thought the duramax and Allison would be amazing in a bobber. 6x6 I'd probably go 6bt cummins or navistar dt466 with a fuller 6 speed.

red

The engine swap would not be cheaper (unless I got really lucky). It's a personal opinion thing. I can't justify to myself spending a grand on this engine for 1 part.

red

That would be pretty awesome. I always thought the duramax and Allison would be amazing in a bobber. 6x6 I'd probably go 6bt cummins or navistar dt466 with a fuller 6 speed.
The Dmax is tempting because I have an 05 truck with that in it, and having a difficult time selling it. Reg cab 2wd. Plus its quiet with a lot of power. The Allison would have to be built.

A DT360 or a Cummins with a fuller behind it would be great as well.

welldigger

The Dmax is tempting because I have an 05 truck with that in it, and having a difficult time selling it. Reg cab 2wd. Plus its quiet with a lot of power. The Allison would have to be built.

A DT360 or a Cummins with a fuller behind it would be great as well.
Why a dt360? A dt466 fits great and is way more common. Not to mention way more power.

red

Would depend on the cost mostly.

Cost, fuel economy, maintenance, reliability, those are the main concerns.

Matches why I like this truck and went with a deuce. Easy to work on, take care of a few things and they are reliable. Regular maintenance parts are reasonable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks