• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matches why I like this truck and went with a deuce. Easy to work on, take care of a few things and they are reliable. Regular maintenance parts are reasonable.
You throw a Duramax and Allison in there and most of that will go out the window. The setup is pretty reliable but it isn't that easy to work on and parts are pretty pricey.

red

Yes they are more complex with all the electronics, especially with an Allison added as well.

A DT 360/466 backed by a fuller manual would fit the requirements very well, if I can find them for a reasonable price when the time comes.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's hard to find a Fuller short enough to fit between the bell and the t-case. Of course you can also move your t-case back but if you go too much you end up with driveline problems at full articulation of the front tandem.

I'm not saying it can't be done and a Fuller 9 or 10 speed would be great but it can turn into a bunch of work to get it all to fit and work right. I've researched some of this and came to the conclusion that for now I'll stick with the stock setup. You've basically got a 7 speed anyway if you split shift the t-case.

Last edited:

welldigger

It's hard to find a Fuller short enough to fit between the bell and the t-case. Of course you can also move your t-case back but if you go too much you end up with driveline problems at full articulation of the front tandem.

I'm not saying it can't be done and a Fuller 9 or 10 speed would be great but it can turn into a bunch of work to get it all to fit and work right.
There's a guy in California that put a fuller 6 speed in an a3. It barely fit but he didn't need to move the t case. If your doing an engine swap anyways you can shift the engine an inch or 2 forward to gain some clearance if need be.

red

Looking at the Eaton transmission catalog it would have to be an 11, 13, or 18 speed to get a better overdrive ratio. All the other models run a .78 overdrive, the ones listed run a .73. I was planning on upgrading to a better overdrive anyways.

I'd change trans if necessary to handle the torque. From what I've read here, seems like 450-500ft/lbs of torque is about max for its stock reliability. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Would save money if the stock trans could be reused.

I use the t-case currently as a gear splitter, works great. What is its torque rating? I know an np205 was used in the 5 ton dump trucks and is much shorter, if a swap is necessary. Lose the synchronized tcase though.

Last edited:

red

There's a guy in California that put a fuller 6 speed in an a3. It barely fit but he didn't need to move the t case. If your doing an engine swap anyways you can shift the engine an inch or 2 forward to gain some clearance if need be.
If a smaller engine is installed like the duramax, 5.9 Cummins, or DT360 it could be pushed even further forward.

This would all be awhile before it begins. Gotta move, get a place to live, job, everything before this happens haha.

rustystud

I was working at IHC when the DT-466 came out in trucks. Before that it was a tractor engine. Very reliable engine. Get an early one without any electronics and just bolt it up to the Spicer and your golden ! Of course I still love the old Hercules ! So I will not be swapping mine anytime soon.

red

I was working at IHC when the DT-466 came out in trucks. Before that it was a tractor engine. Very reliable engine. Get an early one without any electronics and just bolt it up to the Spicer and your golden ! Of course I still love the old Hercules ! So I will not be swapping mine anytime soon.
Been checking out the specs on the DT466 this morning, looks like a great match for the truck and my goals. Similar RPM range, around 500-650ft/lbs torque in stock/minor adjustments. Think if left stock and I stay away from towing heavy the spicer trans could survive for quite a while. Weight is similar to the multifuel.

Most of the mechanical injection years came with Bosch inline pumps (p7100 for example), which is a oil/diesel compatible pump.

red

I can get you a good used complete pump for $250-300. You are getting way ahead of yourself and rewriting old threads here.
That is a lot cheaper than anything else I've found. If I have anymore fuel pump issues over the next 3 weeks I'll buy it from you.

Like I posted earlier, a engine swap would be down the road. Another reason (to me) for the swap is getting replacement parts. I've spent the last 3 weeks here at the house, waiting for stuff, when I should have already finished the trip and be in Washington state. Since I drive this truck often, and plan to drive it across international borders on later trips, parts availability is a concern. I can get most mechanical parts for this truck at local auto parts stores, but nothing for the engine. Parts have to be shipped from sources here in the US. Compared to the other motors we are discussing, they are in use just about everywhere.

Leaning heavily towards the DT466. Fits the list better than anything else I can think of.

peashooter

I'm not saying it can't be done and a Fuller 9 or 10 speed would be great but it can turn into a bunch of work to get it all to fit and work right. I've researched some of this and came to the conclusion that for now I'll stick with the stock setup. You've basically got a 7 speed anyway if you split shift the t-case.
Here's a link to some limited info and pictures on installing an eaton 6406 6spd into a deuce: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...nt-questions&p=1497566&viewfull=1#post1497566

(this was done to an M35a3 truck however)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know an np205 was used in the 5 ton dump trucks and is much shorter, if a swap is necessary. Lose the synchronized tcase though.
I don't know of a np205 ever being factory installed in a 5-ton truck. I don't think it would hold up very well, way too small.

red

Seen the 205 run in the Chevy dump trucks from the 80's. Maybe an aftermarket conversion. Its not synchronized so no shifting on the fly, but it is compact and very durable.

If the stock tcase will survive the power from a DT466, then no need to swap it out. The air shift in my deuce is working fine right now.

rustystud

I don't know of a np205 ever being factory installed in a 5-ton truck. I don't think it would hold up very well, way too small.
The largest factory truck that used the NP-205 transfer case was a 2 ton GMC. They can handle up to 500hp but they need the 32 spline shafts front and rear. Since they have not been built for over 2 decades parts are extremely hard to find. Last year I built one up to handle over 500hp and the total cost of parts alone was over $1200.00 . In our deuce I am not sure it would last many years as the forces exerted against it are too great . Most people don't understand the forces exerted against a transfer case. They think it is just supplying power to the front and rear axles (pushing). It also receives "pulling" torque from these same axles when you coast, and sometimes it gets pushing and pulling forces exerted against it at the same time, especially in offroad conditions.

red

Busy day today, 12 volt alternator setup finally arrived!!

I'll load pics later, the Tapatalk app has tried to load 1 pic on here for the last 15 minutes

red

Started the morning off by mounting the spare tire in the stock location. Cut the edge of the storage box off, cut a hole for one of the studs to go through, and pulled it up. Copied this from VPed.