• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. I would mention, you should check or change the cable on the winch to new if the old one looks at all iffy. These tires are much heavier than the dinky 9.00 x 20's. The part where the cable attaches to the bottom bracket that lifts the tires is where the cable gets most questionable. I'm sure you are on it Daniel, but I mention this for others that may follow along.

rustystud

Looks good. I would mention, you should check or change the cable on the winch to new if the old one looks at all iffy. These tires are much heavier than the dinky 9.00 x 20's. The part where the cable attaches to the bottom bracket that lifts the tires is where the cable gets most questionable. I'm sure you are on it Daniel, but I mention this for others that may follow along.
A very good point VPed. I had to replace mine last year. My truck is a 1988 but with the weather around here the rust is a constant issue.

red

Having engine problems during the trip. I'm stopped at Hill AFB in northern Utah right now at a friends house.

Billowing black smoke at 1800-lower rpm, hazy above that. Unable to idle below 1100 rpm. Engine feels like it has a miss.

Checked the turbo impeller, minimal play and no obvious signs of damage.

Working on pulling the injectors right now. Thinking that one or more is stuck partway open. Return and fuel feed lines are removed so far.

The fuel pressure is steady at 55psi after the final filter.

red

Looks like injectors on cyl 2 and 4 are the issue. With the truck running I loosened up the fuel supply lines. Both of those made no difference.

Time to find an injection shop nearby

red

Yea, looking like my trip has come to a stop in northern Utah. Thankfully its at a place where I have a bunch of friends from my time in the military.

Not willing to spend a lot of money on this motor and lacking the equipment to pull the heads. Will start job and living arrangement hunting tomorrow.

red

The valve springs/rockers all look fine. Gotta be the valve itself or a crack somewhere around its seat.

Either way, the multifuel that I have told me it can't be trusted for expedition trips.

Once I find a place to live and a job here I'll get started on the engine swap and the power steering

red

Curve ball that life threw me. On the bright side the engine decided to fail in a great spot for me.

Going to pull the engine soon as I can. Sell off the parts of it that people want and I won't need.

Have a few possible places to park it until I get a place of my own again.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well least you made it to Utah, but sorry for your problems! :|

There's Boyce Equipment in Ogden. They're pricey but they have everything and the know-how too. Let me know if I can be of any help - I'm pretty ignorant on the engine but I make a good "Soldier B".

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Northern Utah; is that mountain country?

Got any pictures, red? You know, maybe?
Not to speak for red, (and I'm not born and raised here...) but typically when folks refer to Northern Utah it is mostly of the Great Salt Lake Valley (also known as the Wasatch Front, for the Wasatch mountain range) where the largest part of Utah's population lives. It is wide and flat surrounded by mountains, with the Great Salt Lake which the state capitol takes its name.

As for pictures of Northern Utah, here are couple pics from a trip in my deuce into the very most northern part of Utah, Cache Valley:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?130467-Fall-in-Cache-UT

And a trip just east of Salt Lake City (over the first set of mountains) to a much more sparsely populated area near Kamas, UT:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?128156-Light-Wood-Hauling

Note:
My pictures from the above threads do not show any "in town/city" pictures. Obviously I'm too busy driving to spare a hand to take blind pictures. So please don't get the impression that it's only country land. Google maps/street view Salt Lake City or even Kaysville (where I live) for more "day to day" feel of things (though go East or West of the Salt Lake Valley and yea, it's pretty low on the human count). But the back windows of my place do stare at a mountain ;)

Red probably has more interesting pictures from his time here...

Now, back on Thread Topic.... >.>

Last edited:

red

Northern Utah; is that mountain country?

Got any pictures, red? You know, maybe?
Sorry been a little preoccupied. When I was stationed here a few years ago I spent most of my time on the demolition ranges to the west of the Salt Lake and out at Dugway, very remote.

I'll get some pics of the local area when I get back tonight. Currently bringing my duramax up so I'll have a daily driver vehicle.

I'll give you a shout in the next few days Valence. Will be towing my deuce to its temporary resting location. Going to pull the motor sometime in the next 2 months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll give you a shout in the next few days Valence. Will be towing my deuce to its temporary resting location. Going to pull the motor sometime in the next 2 months.

Whistler turbo is sale pending. Other things from the motor that are worthwhile are the 12 volt alternator setup, and both air compressors. I thought the old dual piston compressor was out awhile ago so I installed the new single piston. Turns out it was just a sticking seal in the air pack. Stepped on the brakes while the truck was running and suddenly my air pressure began to rise.
Sounds just fine, and as always, I'm just offering, don't feel obligated. This is more than a curve ball you've been thrown and I'm impressed how well you're handling all the stress. I don't do well under it.

Last edited by a moderator: