• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

red

Cool, will try to time it right. Right now its running on 5 cylinders because of the bad intake valve. I can fire it up, but I'll probably have the fire department responding from all the smoke billowing out of the tailpipe hahaha.

No I won't be using the 12 volt setup. Swapping out to a DT466 motor from an international. Hopefully before the winter.

red

Today Zane, Ji, and myself took the deuce over to its temporary resting place. Used my duramax for the tow rig (flat tow with strap) and it handled the deuce just fine. Mechanical failures with the deuce, made it difficult. Locked engine, fried clutch, and slightly singed brakes.

uploadfromtaptalk1432592141796.jpg

red

Figure I'll take a trip out there in a few days and pull the radiator/other components so the engine and trans can be pulled.

Gotta admit, I was highly impressed by how well the duramax did pulling the deuce up the 8 percent grade. Places the duramax and 5.9 Cummins back on the engine candidate list. Really just depends on which one I find for a reasonable price when I'm ready.

rustystud

Figure I'll take a trip out there in a few days and pull the radiator/other components so the engine and trans can be pulled.

Gotta admit, I was highly impressed by how well the duramax did pulling the deuce up the 8 percent grade. Places the duramax and 5.9 Cummins back on the engine candidate list. Really just depends on which one I find for a reasonable price when I'm ready.
I've stated before that I love the "Duramax" and "Allison" combination. I just hate the fact that you will need two brain boxes. One for the engine and one for the transmission. Plus all the sensors. I will admit that the manufactures have come a long way in dependability on the transmission valve actuators. When Allison first came out with their "New World Series" transmissions (all electronic control) the actuators where always failing. They could not handle the hot oil. Now some 20 years + they finally have a handle on it. I still prefer the old style valve bodies controlled by throttle pressure and input and output speed. No electronics to fail. I'm a firm believer in "KISS" . Not the rock group.

red

Agreed, simplicity is a great thing. One of the deciding factors will be the cost of the donor vehicle. I had thought that the duramax and 5.9 Cummins would be working much harder, going up that 8 percent grade for a couple miles with the equivalent of my planned maximum weight setup tells me it's not a problem.

With water crossings I'm not planning to go deeper than the floorboards (if even close to that), so with computers they can be located inside the cab easily.

So I'll be on the lookout for a reasonably priced donor truck. Have a few ideas for an intercooler setup. Planning to keep using the stock deuce radiator.

rustystud

Agreed, simplicity is a great thing. One of the deciding factors will be the cost of the donor vehicle. I had thought that the duramax and 5.9 Cummins would be working much harder, going up that 8 percent grade for a couple miles with the equivalent of my planned maximum weight setup tells me it's not a problem.

With water crossings I'm not planning to go deeper than the floorboards (if even close to that), so with computers they can be located inside the cab easily.

So I'll be on the lookout for a reasonably priced donor truck. Have a few ideas for an intercooler setup. Planning to keep using the stock deuce radiator.
Just remember the sensors are not in the cab with you. On this Allison transmission I believe there are 4 sensors. I have the manuals somewhere I could look it up if you need this information. They need to be checked and sealed if your going to go underwater with them. The same applies to the engine sensors. There are sensors mounted at the Harmonic balancer which will get wet if you go in water that is as high as the cab floor. There are also exhaust sensors that don't like water. Heat yes, water no.

red

I don't participate in the endless debate between a I6 and a V8 diesel, nobody ever wins that crap. Each has their advantage and disadvantage that's been proven. All 3 of these motors are great options, just which one will be affordable when the time comes.

If I had about 4k sitting right now I've found one of each not far away, won't have that until I get a job with 2-3 months of paychecks. An 87 DT466, 92 Dodge 2wd, and a 01 duramax all for about the same price.

rustystud

I don't participate in the endless debate between a I6 and a V8 diesel, nobody ever wins that crap. Each has their advantage and disadvantage that's been proven. All 3 of these motors are great options, just which one will be affordable when the time comes.

If I had about 4k sitting right now I've found one of each not far away, won't have that until I get a job with 2-3 months of paychecks. An 87 DT466, 92 Dodge 2wd, and a 01 duramax all for about the same price.
When I was a young man I was a staunch Chevy guy. Now as the years have gone by I've become a "it runs good so I like this car" kind of guy. Be it a Ford, Chrysler, Chevy, IHC, Honda, Subaru, (which I own now) or what ever. Same goes for who has the best engine. If it runs good then it's a good engine !

Another Ahab

When I was a young man I was a staunch Chevy guy. Now as the years have gone by I've become a "it runs good so I like this car" kind of guy. Be it a Ford, Chrysler, Chevy, IHC, Honda, Subaru, (which I own now) or what ever. Same goes for who has the best engine. If it runs good then it's a good engine !
The venerable sage, rustystud, speaks true and honorable wisdom:

bow.jpg

Another Ahab

Ahab your comments kill me sometimes LOL !!! :) I really like your positive attitude. You always seem to have a funny comment or picture to brighten up the day !
I look forward to hearing what YOU have to say, rustystud, because it is always backed up with some interesting experience; frequently a good story, and also is always useful.

It's like we're some kind of mutual aid society or something, you know!? [thumbzup]

red

Going through the application and interview process right now, so hopefully I'll be back to working soon. The goal is to have the engine/transmission swap done in the next 6 months. I'll get a long term place to live as well.

I know the engine is locked and the clutch is gone for sure. Wont know about the trans until It's separated, so I'm assuming it's damaged as a worst case situation. Gotta get Valence's wrecker operational before progress is made on my deuce.

Working with the VA here as well. No surprise, the doc agrees that my body is messed up, and the mind is probably lost hahaha. Have appointments for my knee, lungs, and head coming up.

turnkey

Should put in for the foot knee and tongue guy as well...VA sure likes to put out the pills...What a rush it is. Guy bought a RV rig on Ebay and found out it is several pieces at a undisclosed location it seems more later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks