• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Redstone Listing Descriptions

gumboo

How good and accurate are the GL descriptions of some of the MVs listed at Redstone Arsenal?
Other words, if it says "starts and runs" or "driven in", is it in good enough condition to where it can be picked up and driven home 300+ miles with minor maintenance?

thanks

ffdfrontman

let me know if you or you get some one to go check those trucks out. Im curious myself... maybe we can buy together and drive them west in a convoy.. Im looking at 2 M818 Tractors...

Michael

I have been buying from Huntsville for years and they seem to be a little above average in their descriptions. BUT, the trucks are not at the Arsenal, they are at the National Guard Base. There has been discussion here that the trucks are still being cannibalized after GL gets them. I have not bought one or even inspected one. In fact, the people at the arsenal may not even be the same ones handling the trucks.

ffdfrontman

that is some nice info to hear... please speak up if you have comments like Michael's or are willing to go look at these trucks. There is a lot of everything out there on this next round on GL.

HillsAndHollows

I bought a M35A2 a couple of months ago from there. I went the day before I picked it up and the guys there were extremely nice and helpful. They cranked the truck and let me check it out so I knew what to expect on the drive home. The National Guard Armory is right next to Redstone Arsenal and you don't have to go through the security hassles. The same GL staff work both sites from what I could tell. BTW the truck I got drove just fine...was smoother riding on highway than my 2500 diesel Ram pickup.

Michael

I will add that the documented problems were at Montgomery when GL's lot got full and they couldn't move the MV into it. They were left in the same lot as the trucks still available to the NG for cannibalization.

gumboo

Re: RE: Redstone Listing Descriptions

Michael said:
I have been buying from Huntsville for years and they seem to be a little above average in their descriptions.
On that note, is there a list of the GL sites where the "better" MVs have been picked up?
I hear Oklahoma is one.
I read many stories here where the recoveries were "drive homes". If it's just luck, or what.

Thanks

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Redstone Listing Descriptions

Had good luck at Drexel Gardens and Columbia, SC. Last two trucks out of Camp Shelby were "flood victims".

Michael

Camp Shelby is known to be a rebuild location. They are getting rid of a lot of trucks that were sent there to be rebuilt and they never got around to it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where trucks end up being DRMO'ed/GL'ed at is a function of where it is located on the map and the (usually) closedt open DRMO/GL site.. GL does not send "good trucks" to location X and "bad ones" to location Z.

jasonjc

Re: RE: Redstone Listing Descriptions

gumboo said:
Michael said:
I have been buying from Huntsville for years and they seem to be a little above average in their descriptions.
On that note, is there a list of the GL sites where the "better" MVs have been picked up?
I hear Oklahoma is one.
I read many stories here where the recoveries were "drive homes". If it's just luck, or what.

Thanks
I've got 3 trucks from OKC this year, none drove home all had to be towed. 1 did not have a transmission (pic's showed this) 1 had fork lift holes in the radiator(pic's did not show this) 1 needed a bolt in the tranfer fixed and a switch rewired.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I just recovered two today. All were listed as "runs". What they forgot to tell me was that one was missing the instrument cluster and a second had no brakes. The pictures were so poor that you could not see the missing instrument cluster. Be VERY cautious about those trucks. The guy there said that the ones going up for auction in the coming weeks were much worse than the first few lots.

Always cache the trucks you win before GL takes them off the site.

Amxhunter

HEY ! Yall Don't Be Shoppin in my back yard, and I won't be shoppin in yourn ! rofl rofl rofl

I drove mine home from the Armory with just a jump off, No turn signals , but all else worked.

20 Psi in the rear Tires, 50 in the Fronts, go figure.

EdMontana

Re: RE: Re: RE: Redstone Listing Descriptions

Blood_of_Tyrants said:
I just recovered two today. All were listed as "runs". What they forgot to tell me was that one was missing the instrument cluster and a second had no brakes. The pictures were so poor that you could not see the missing instrument cluster. Be VERY cautious about those trucks. The guy there said that the ones going up for auction in the coming weeks were much worse than the first few lots.

Always cache the trucks you win before GL takes them off the site.
I guess "runs" is for the engine....."drives" is for the vehicle.....I think every time you bid without inspection you are gambling.....descriptions are always off, same pic for various trucks, and mileage who knows for sure when they just change odometers like tires.....you may be bidding $1,000 more because the odometer says 900 miles but the truck is worst than one where the odometer says 35,000 miles........without inspection is pure luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks