• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Redstone Success

USMC6062

Well my new deuce is home safe and sound. A friend and I drove to Redstone Arsenal on Thursday. I took along everything possible planning for the worst, but hoping for the best. My appointment for pickup was 7:30 Friday morning. I got there a little early, and expected them to not be there yet, but they were already there and went to work getting me to my truck. I finally found my truck on the lot, it's kinda hard when they all look alike, and the one worker helping me didn't know which one it was either. First thing I noticed was that it had 11 brand new tires on it. They didn't want us adding fluids to it on the lot, because someone before us spilled something and made a mess, but I told them I didn't want to crank it before I made sure it was full of oil. I checked the oil, and it was full enough, then went inside and turned the switch on, and the low pressure buzzer came on nice and loud. I pushed the starter button, but it just clicked. The worker said they had a slave cable, but he didn't know how to use it. I told him all we needed was the cable and another truck that ran. He said they had a running truck, but he didn't know how to drive it, but I could if I wanted. So, I got the cable, and got in the running deuce, fired it up and drove over to my truck. We hooked the two trucks together, and after a little cranking, my truck fired up and sat there running on it's own. I ended up driving off the base like it was to the Walmart just outside the gate. I let it idle while my friend and I aired up the tires and started checking all the fluids. We got it all serviced up, then shut it down to check the oil and top it off. The truck cranked right back up on its own, and we headed out for Florida. A long 550 miles later, I got to my house about 30 minutes past midnight. It took us 9 hours to get to Redstone, but 13 hours to get back when your going 55mph. The truck ran great, never skipping a beat. I really lucked out on this truck, I bought it from just the pictures I saw on the auction, hoping it was decent. It turned out better than I thought, it has 11 new tires, new looking cargo cover and cab top, heater, airshift, whistler turbo, CARC in 94, and a bunch of new little items. It had some service paperwork in it, and the goverment spent more on the truck after it was turned in than I did for it at auction. The whole reason I bought this truck was to have one to bob. I have become too attached to my other one the way it is, I bought it to bob, but couldn't bring myself to do it. This new truck will be bobbed with a M105 trailer bed, lifted 8" with a frame section, on 5 ton axles, combat rims, and 16R20 XZL's. I have a multifuel from a 5 ton, that I may use if the current engine is lacking on power, plus it's getting power steering from the 5 ton also. I'll make a new post when I get to this project. I have nothing but good things to say about Redstone. Every person I encountered was more helpfull than you could expect.

Attachments

KaiserJeep715

Nice looking truck! couldn't help but notice the white car to the left of your truck in the third picture... NO driver? or steering wheel on opposite side? lol I'm ridiculous i know

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the recovery! My EUC cleared for my 1009 at Redstone now it's just a matter of getting there to pick it up. I've got a longer drive but should be able to do 65mph without too much trouble.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How did we miss you when we were there? I think we got there about 10am and left an hour later..........

USMC6062

How did we miss you when we were there? I think we got there about 10am and left an hour later..........

I was off the base by 8:30, and on the road by 10:30. I did see a real nice deuce with cargo cover sitting at a gas station on Thursday as I was getting close to Huntsville. It looked like someone just picked it up also, as it still had some stickers and such on it. It was just sitting there idling, I wonder if it was someone on here?

scooter01922

Hey KJ, look at the deuce and all the other cars......all the drivers appear on the wrong side as does the stack on the deuce, must be a mirror image.

appalacious

I saw a deuce and a trailer full of what looked like deuce parts at exit 136 on I-75 (Perry, GA). I tried to flag them down (father/son) but they were in a hurry I guess.

Looked like they may have just picked it up, too. Still had "DRMO" in chalk on the hood.

Congrats on the pickup. I'm due for mine at redstone soon.
J

ohnuts

Thanks I feel better about a truck that could have been setting next to yours. My truck is pretty close to yours in every feature, lots of luck. My EUC is off being approved.

Sumoman

NICE TRUCK.. As for me..

aua

I want my EUC to clear Battle creek cause I am so filled with envy :drool:

nice truck, I hope mine starts up as easy, I am just bringing some new batteries since I have never driven myuch less hooked up slave cables.