• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reduce Rattles

01GRANDER

I know, hmmwv’s aren’t supposed to be quiet but what have you guys found that helps make their noise more bearable?

I just bought a roll of neoprene foam tape and applied it around areas on my seats and probably 1/2 of my rattles went away. It makes it a lot more bearable to drive around town with our horrible roads.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ear muffs.
More specifically:

ComConnect_2a.jpg

I think I paid about $110 earlier this year on ebay. Batteries last a long time, I listen to books when I drive, and when on the phone the person on the other end seems to have no issues hearing me.

But to answer the question you were trying to ask, there are some guys that have done things like lizardskin and other products that insulate and provide some sound deadening (downside is you kind of have to disassemble the truck and clean everything REALLY good if you want the end results to be good and last). Using horse stall mats on the tunnel also seems to help a little, and also helps with heat.

01GRANDER

ear muffs.
More specifically:

View attachment 806962

I think I paid about $110 earlier this year on ebay. Batteries last a long time, I listen to books when I drive, and when on the phone the person on the other end seems to have no issues hearing me.

But to answer the question you were trying to ask, there are some guys that have done things like lizardskin and other products that insulate and provide some sound deadening (downside is you kind of have to disassemble the truck and clean everything REALLY good if you want the end results to be good and last). Using horse stall mats on the tunnel also seems to help a little, and also helps with heat.
I may get some lizard skin to apply, any idea if you have to use a certain primer before applying it over aluminum or Carc?

I still have the wood over the tunnel, I am currently building a center console out of wood above it and then putting fiberglass over it, that should cutdown on a lot of the heat and sound from that area.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may get some lizard skin to apply, any idea if you have to use a certain primer before applying it over aluminum or Carc?

I still have the wood over the tunnel, I am currently building a center console out of wood above it and then putting fiberglass over it, that should cutdown on a lot of the heat and sound from that area.
I don't know, but hopefully someone with some experience using it will chime in, or they might have mentioned it in another thread.
If nothing else you can check the manufacturer's website for what prep is required.
My understanding is they have several varieties. One for heat, one for sound, and who knows what else.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generic Rhino Lining inside of the doors.

IMG-0061.jpg

1 inch Armaflex padding all over, including under the doghouse.

IMG-0059.jpg
IMG-0060.jpg
IMG-0062.jpg

And also 3/4 inch Horse Stall Mat from Tractor Supply in place of the wood. Highly recommended.

IMG-0058(1).jpg

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It rattles less if you don’t drive it.

Replace door seals and gaskets. Pad the rear hatch. HUGE difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks