• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Refine used motor oil?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My guess is that if the Powers-that-be found out what you were doing they would find some way to shut you down for violating any number of obscure environmental laws.

I would also suppose that your homeowners insurance would take a dim view of a refiinery on your property.

I know diesel is high but there is a reason that more people aren't doing this.

Never be penny wise and pound foolish.

The above being said it might not be a bad idea to be able to do it in case of a dire emergency where you don't have to worry about the rule of law.

Josh

At least from the perspective of a multifuel, why turn 100 gallons of useable fuel into 60gallons. For a 5ton or a cucv I could see the reasoning behind this.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cracking the oil has been the basis of refining oil since it came into production. I'll just stick to filtering and cutting it with lighter oils/distillates. 700F+ oil vapors is NOT what I want around my house.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to try and make gasoline by distilling and cracking WMO I'll let every know how it....BOOM!!!!!

needmoretrucks

Wow... it's really not such a big deal... as long as you insure that the reactor you build is airtight there is no issue of exploding. Even then when a few guys have had small leaks no booms have happened. Don't knock it just to knock it.
There is a process fettered to in the thread I posted above called distilling. At a lower temperature you can end up with what's essentially new motor oil, or clean motor oil.
Anyways guys if your interested enough to click on this thread in SS then u ought to check out distilling or cracking wmo and even more exciting turning plastic into liquid fuels. Its even been mentioned that you can turn coal into:beer: liquid fuel with this process.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow... it's really not such a big deal... as long as u insure that the reactor u build is airtight there is no issue of exploding. Even then when a few guys have had small leaks no booms have happened. Don't knock it just to knock it.
There is a process fettered to in the thread I posted above called distilling. At a lower temperature u can end up with what's essentially new motor oil, or clean motor oil.
Anyways guys if your interested enough to click on this thread in SS then u ought to check out distilling or cracking wmo and even more exciting turning plastic into liquid fuels. Its even been mentioned that u can turn coal into:beer: liquid fuel with this process.
So let me get this straight. There's no chance of explosions with this concept?

Isn't the purpose of this to crack the oil into vapors into various distillates?

Gasoline isn't explosive. Gasoline vapor on the other hand...

How does a grease fire happen as well? I mean I could take a bottle of veggie oil and try lighting it until the cows come home. It's not going to light. Heat that same bottle of oil up to the levels we're talking about and put a flame to it, what happens next?

I'm not name calling either. I used to make biodiesel. We had a rig setup to heat the oil. The burner ended up cracking and that made for one HECK of a fire. Nothing was really harmed. But it's those unknowns that will get you every time.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions in the matter. But when you start looking at the factors, it's not something to go into with false pretenses.

greenjeepster

Anybody ever try a baffle tank to filter oil? You could even place large magnets on the outside of the tank to help attract the heavy metals. As the oil progresses over the series of baffles it becomes cleaner and cleaner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks