• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

refinishing a PRC-77

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a couple PRC-77s here from a customer, he needed one of them stripped and repainted as it had a LOT of previous paint jobs on it. I'm talking about 20 layers, it was actually soft, forming a cushy layer on the outside. The paint was so thick you couldn't see the screws on the latches of the battery box.

I did it the hard way, I don't have a beadblasting cabinet, and that would've made the job a lot quicker and easier, but don't have one yet. I opted for spray paint stripper from Lowe's, sprayed it on, scraped it off, and repeat. It took 8 times with the stripper to get all the paint off, and even then I had to go back and do touch up. Get enough of it off, then hit it with the wire brush and then wash under cold water. Get out the Craftsman Mouse sander and go to town on the remaining paint, it doesn't need to be completely stripped of paint, just smooth and even. I got it down to the bare metal in places, the "yellow death" primer in others. But the heavy paint mess from before was all gone. I swear I must have taken off a pound of just paint!

Last pics show it primed and painted, ready for use. The top where the controls are I left as is. It's a bitch to refinish that without a beadblasting cabinet, and then you have to retouch all the white lettering, etc. Besides, the box was the bad part, the control area was actually not bad.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice! Good job matching the paint. [thumbzup]

Yesterday I finally saw the show the chap in your avatar is from (I know, I'm a bit behind on my TV watching...). Amusing stuff. :)

Cheers

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I have very little patience, and less as I get older. But I can do a little, walk away and do something else, come back when I feel like it. So, it gets done slowly, but yes, I am a perfectionist sometimes.

Many thanks for the kind words.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The paint match was a nice coincidence - it was what came out of the spray can from MalWart. But you're right, it does look close, doesn't it?

Roger that, natem - I used to work at a place in the late 1990s that had a large blast cabinet with an industrial sized compressor and bag filtration unit, it was sweet. I brought in pieces from my M416 trailer project at the time on the weekends and let me tell you, I got spoiled on that machine. Ever since then whenever I work on a project the needs paint or rust removal, I think back "man I wish I had that setup here".

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks very good.

How did you do the letters?

Regarding blast cabinets, I have an awesome cabinet I am thrilled with. It's big, has excellent filtration (no dust), doors on each end and good lighting (recessed fluorescents). A company in NC makes them. Their site is: BLAST-IT-ALL®: Complete line of air-blast equipment and accessories

This is my model: LB 4824

I would highly recommend it. These guys hit the Charlotte Auto Fair each year and sell them for about a grand (disclaimer: I bought mine about 8-10 years ago-price may have raised).

I push mine with a single stage 6.5HP 60 gallon Ingersol Rand which is ok, but I really need a bigger 2 stage compressor.

Attachments

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i built my cabinet from plywood, then added the vacuum and filtration... if you add a good vacuum you will get more productivity, and remember, many of the paints and stuff you blast off are very bad for your esp military stuff...

I have two cabinets one large with Aluminum Oxide, and a smaller one with walnut shells for the more delicate stuff..

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did another one, this was a PRC-25. Had to replace one module that was a little flaky (the A25 RX module) but everything else was just test, calibrate and repaint. I did it in CARC green, most -25s were 24087 originally, but I had the paint and it looks good. This one I did the front panel because the lettering was pretty well worn off. I used a paint marker this time, the type modelers use. I wasn't too impressed, the paint was a little more runny than I expected. I think I'll go back to using a rubber wand brush like I used to use. The results are good, but not 110%. As I get better at this I hope to find the guy who has 100 radios that need to be redone. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

natem

Did another one, this was a PRC-25. Had to replace one module that was a little flaky (the A25 RX module) but everything else was just test, calibrate and repaint. I did it in CARC green, most -25s were 24087 originally, but I had the paint and it looks good. This one I did the front panel because the lettering was pretty well worn off. I used a paint marker this time, the type modelers use. I wasn't too impressed, the paint was a little more runny than I expected. I think I'll go back to using a rubber wand brush like I used to use. The results are good, but not 110%. As I get better at this I hope to find the guy who has 100 radios that need to be redone. :)

When you find that guy, I would like a PRC-77 W/accessory group and a H161 headset for truck to truck comms on trail rides. [thumbzup]

Nate

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a nice job!

Bob WB4ETT
Thanks, Bob. I even went one more, made up some govt.-like tags for the radio that I will attach prior to shipping out to customer. I left the model number and serial number spots blank, as well as the date, so I can fill those in regardless or whether I choose to stay in the PRC-25/77 field or move onto other units as well, I can fill in as I need to. Also have my company name and CAGE code on it.

Attachments

stocksj

Nice clean looking PRC-77. I just last month I bought on ebay a brit PRC-351 which is a PRC-77 equivalant. Came with a pack frame, whip antenna, 1 amp battery and a headset. No contacts made yet but also just got my ham license. Some of these radios could us a repaint since they were made in the 70's and used during the Falklands war. I'd still like a PRC-77.

Jim
KK4CWO
Woodbridge, VA

papakb

Mike,

Keep in mind when you get that sand blast cabinet going that sand will also remove the anodizing from the aluminum of the case and any scratches will expose the aluminum to corrosion. Stripping is the preferred method even though it's more time consuming for home jobs. If you do start blasting cases, you can buy alodining solutions that will restore the color and protective finish to the aluminum but then you have toxic stuff around.

Kurt Lesser

F18hornetM

Great job, untill your pics I had never seen a PRC77 that didnt have 20 coats of paint on it. :eek: My MOS just happened to be a 2531 [field radio operator]. Its amazing how much I've forgotten. Thanks for the pics

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nice work-I love the refurb label.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The paint was Rustoleum brand Forest Green camo, it's about a cross between CARC 383 and USMC Forest Green. It's not as expensive as real CARC, much easier to find at the store, and the paint match is pretty close to issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks