• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

refinishing a PRC-77

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can test a PRC-10, and refinish it. However, the problem is I do not have a battery pack for those older backpack radios, and I don't know anyone who does. Original batteries are long gone, the adapters to use common store-bought batteries to supply the +1.5, -6, +67.5 and +135 VDC voltages to the radio are very rare now. Only way I know to commonly power it up is to use the AM-598 vehicular amp which runs off 12 VDC to power the radio, and unless you own that, we're out of luck on the power side of things.

Perhaps in the future, if and when I find a -598 amp to power up the PRC-8-9-10 series of radios, I might be able to test/align that series as well.

If you just want it re-painted and detailed, send me a PM.

BillF

The good news is I do own an am598u and I also have a battery pack adapter that takes d cell and aa cell batteries to make a pack coming in the mail. Shipping the am598u would cost to much but I can send you the adapter and that way you can make a copy of it.

Medicineman

Hi, I have a couple of PRC 77s that I want to restore myself, I have been able to remove all the knobs except the the ones that have roll pins. How do you remove these pins? is there a special tool? do you hammer it out or does it screw out? or is it disposeable? We need these for props in a local indie film. I found these on a military junk pile. the paint is all bubbled up and the labels have lost the white paint to make them visible. please help. Thanks in advance.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The roll pins are driven out using a small hammer and a pin punch. But do not drive them all the way out - just enough to get them off the shaft. Use an enamel paint of the correct color and let it dry very completely. Next take some white latex based paint and fill in the recesses where the lettering is. Then, using a damp cloth, wipe off the excess paint that has been smeared on the flat surface. Let it dry and replace the knobs.

Medicineman

Thanks a lot! the manual says just remove them nothing on how. anyway as for the white paint, it seems my PRCs are different from your 77's as the lettering on the knob labels on mine arent recessed, they are embossed or raised. anythoughts on how to apply the white paint, perhaps foam or something? Thanks again.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks a lot! the manual says just remove them nothing on how. anyway as for the white paint, it seems my PRCs are different from your 77's as the lettering on the knob labels on mine arent recessed, they are embossed or raised. anythoughts on how to apply the white paint, perhaps foam or something? Thanks again.
With a fine paintbrush, a little bit at a time. Sorry, but that is the best way unless the letters are all flat on the top. If that is the case you can use a hard rubber roller coated in paint, just have to be careful not to let it get too low.

Medicineman

Thanks for the help, I recently was at a hobby shop an I am wondering if the gundam pant markers assuming they have it in flat white might do the trick, will experiment and post when I finish. BTW did you have the green color mixed or was it of a commercial spary paint can? if it is what brand and color was it? thanks again and more power to this forum!!!

KitchenCannon

Depending on how proud the letters are above the surface of the knob you can use a technique called Dry brushing.
Get a small paint brush that you are not to attached to as this method will damage them.
Load it up with paint
then wipe the paint out of the brush on a cloth until very little is left
Next brush lightly over the top of the surface and the letters will pick up that little amount of paint.
It will take a number of passes to get the letters covered.
Then you go back with the green and paint around the letters to clean up the excess white that gets on the knob.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice Job. How did you do the panel? Pop the knobs and switches off and tape the indicator over? When you unscrew the head, do the internals come out with the head?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks