• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reflectors or no reflectors?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I, too put DOT reflective striping on the tail gate (accentuating the top corners, essentially, and the truck had these from the military. I also added triple marker lights and an amber LED convoy strobe, just so I am able to crank up my being seen score. If needed, I can switch them all off and be stealthy. The reflective stripes only need duct tape......
After a member here got rear ended by a transport on the highway and lost his life in an M35A3, I am paranoid about being seen by traffic behind me....

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are you guys putting reflectors on (like tape reflectors) in addition to the stock reflectors or trying to stay less visible for boon-docking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use a series of magnets with tape reflectors applied to them.
Using old vehicle (advertising) magnets cut into strips about 3 feet long and applied as needed.

That way you have plenty of markings - and the ability to "go dark" if the need arises.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a member here got rear ended by a transport on the highway and lost his life in an M35A3, I am paranoid about being seen by traffic behind me....
Agreed ... It amazes me just how blind and distracted certain drivers are today that they cannot even notice a pair of tail lights.. Sometimes I think it is because lanes are wider and people can be less on-the-ball, they get too relaxed and less attentive to what is going on ,, and sometimes I think the more idiot-proof certain things are made, the worse it gets .... As a kid I remember narrow curvy 2-lane state roads with no shoulders and one white line down the center, narrow enough where it seemed big trucks could slap mirrors and all drivers had to pay attention to what they were doing, and cars were big boats in comparison to today .. One red or purple tail/stop light was still adequate and legal, and road hazards or construction areas were warned by wooden sawhorse tables with those round bowling-ball "smudge pot" open-flame torches sitting up on them or on the ground .. I can't even imagine what most people would do today if they came across such a sight as a sawhorse and smudge pot .. Probably wouldn't even notice or see a damned thing

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@msgjd Yes, and while we are all rightfully concerned about our 13,000-26,000 lbs rig's stopping power so we do not hit and crush lesser vehicles around us, let's not forget that our M35 compared to an 80,000-100,000 lbs transport or triaxle/lowboy combo is exactly such a small vehicle. Non-existing impact protection and zero rollover safety. Goodbye, if you get hit hard. The cynic in me says that they can use at least what's left of the cargo cover to wrap up our remains.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
@msgjd Yes, and while we are all rightfully concerned about our 13,000-26,000 lbs rig's stopping power so we do not hit and crush lesser vehicles around us, let's not forget that our M35 compared to an 80,000-100,000 lbs transport or triaxle/lowboy combo is exactly such a small vehicle. Non-existing impact protection and zero rollover safety. Goodbye, if you get hit hard. The cynic in me says that they can use at least what's left of the cargo cover to wrap up your remains.
Sad - But True...

ramdough

I use a series of magnets with tape reflectors applied to them.
Using old vehicle (advertising) magnets cut into strips about 3 feet long and applied as needed.

That way you have plenty of markings - and the ability to "go dark" if the need arises.
That is a great idea. Then you get both options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmramsey

In the NATO member countries, these additional reflectors are added to the mud flaps of MVs for extra visibility when approaching from the rear. These same reflectors on the 2.5 & 5-ton trucks are four times as large on each rear mud flap. They truly light up the truck at night.20160929_150215_resized.jpg

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@msgjd Yes, and while we are all rightfully concerned about our 13,000-26,000 lbs rig's stopping power so we do not hit and crush lesser vehicles around us, let's not forget that our M35 compared to an 80,000-100,000 lbs transport or triaxle/lowboy combo is exactly such a small vehicle.
Conversely, I have been that 117,000-122,000 pound vehicle 70+ hours a week, months on end, rolling all night long into the next day .. There were hills that would knock the heaviewt trucks down to 20mph for several minutes. In the snow, in the fog, in the heavy rain and every kind of bad visibility,,, and this was on the Interstates !! o_O I can tell you that even when you are in the heaviest permitted vehicles out there, you still get really concerned about getting rear-ended in that situation.. It happens every year .. Sometimes it's been a cruise bus running into the back of a trailer truck , sometimes a car .. Sometimes other small or large trucks into the back of each other .. But common denominator is people not paying attention, or going too fast for their sight distance

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks