• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Refreshing Gunny the thread.

cucvrus

Keep in mind a new seal is not a guarantee of no leak. The shaft could be grooved from sand and dirt cutting into it. I would suggest that you get a visual on the seal you have and remove it and seat the new seal a bit deeper or shallower. Clean the area thoroughly before and after removal. Good Luck.

Last edited:

ssdvc

Rick/Gunny, that set up is for the transmission shifter shaft seal, which I have already done (and that tool works great).

Unless I am missing something, the 208 shifter has a different shaft design (squared off so the shift plate locks on, with a threaded shaft to screw the nut on to hold it all together) and what looks like an altogether seal type (almost looks like a plastic type) around the entire shaft, but recessed into sealing hole.

IMG_3860.JPG

The tool for the trans shaft seal doesn't appear to fit. Is the transfer case seal the same as the transmission shaft seal (and it's removal and installation?) I don't want to start something I can't finish.

And I don't mean to hijack this thread, sorry.

Last edited:

GunnyM1009

LOL!!! Standing by Rick, standing by. I think that linkage I am referring to is the HI/LO Range Shifter. Oh, and take your time, I am done for today (after all, I really am an Old F---!).
Hopefully that tool works. I honestly thought they were the same size shafts. If that doesn't work you may be able to pick the old one out and use an appropriately sized piece of pipe and ample lube to push a new one in. Otherwise if you have to split the case you mind as well rebuild it at that point.

cucvrus

OK I am back from the operating room. I have lots of valuable information about seals and failures of the TH400 and NP208. The transmission and transfer case I dissected was destroyed during a front drive shaft CV joint lockup at highway speed. The driveshaft locked up because I just bought the truck in Georgia and knew nothing about it except that the front hubs just spun 360*. I checked all the fluids and headed north. Everything went well until 20 miles from my house on I 81 and everything left loose. Hindsight I should have removed the front drive shaft. But I drove 6 months out of the year with the hub engaged. Always did with older trucks. Here are the results. DSCF8657.JPG DSCF8658.JPG The front driveshaft could no longer articulate, and bend and it pushed back hard, and somethings got to give. Let the transfer case hit the road. I was still able to limp off the exit and used an M1009 to pull the truck home. Anyway, here are the 2 shift seals. They are different. This is the transmission. DSCF8659.JPG DSCF8661.JPG This is the transfer case. DSCF8660.JPG The transmission seal was simple to remove because I had the shifter out of the case. DSCF8662.JPG You can see the tarnishedDSCF8663.JPG abrasive area that the dirt formed on the shift rod. I used the open end 13mm and pulled the seal. DSCF8664.JPG DSCF8665.JPG I will write and clarify this later. I have been thrown off and on 5 times in 5 minutes. I don't want to start over again.

ssdvc

Rick, thank you very much for the info 👍. After some searching, I believe that these are the seals that go onto that shaft:

It looks like, due to your awesome research (again, thank you!) that I may be able to use a pick to get the plastic part out, then the O-ring. I will order the parts and give it a try !!

cucvrus

This is the magnet that was in the transfer case.DSCF8680.JPG And by the way, this episode on ! 81 was back in the late 1990's and 3 AM. I wanted to show you also that if you are changing O rings you may as well change the front out put flange seal. DSCF8681.JPG This transfer case is still full of lots of great parts. Parts are parts. Hard to find parts at the time when you need them. DSCF8682.JPG OEM NP208 from a CUCV DSCF8683.JPG DSCF8684.JPG Another thing I had issues with is clogged vents from being over the rockers in slop and muck. The vent tube. DSCF8685.JPG This one is cracked from age. And when you get the transmission over hauled always request it be changed. It is flared and barbed and comes in from behind the front cover. DSCF8686.JPG DSCF8687.JPG I have had a few that had a serious leak in the rear section. This was caused by throwing the gear selector in PARK while moving. That required a new transmission case from being cracked. This is the PARK pawl in the case. DSCF8688.JPG I tried to get this out to show you but gave up. This transmission came from a CUCV. It was one I bought restored and sold years ago. It may be yours. Check out the VIN last 8. 1986 pickup not sure if M1008 or M1028 but 1 of them. Free prize for you if you have this truck. I will send you the OEM case for the transmission. On your dime of course. Take Care and have a Great Day.
DSCF8689.JPG

Last edited:

cucvrus

As you have already discovered it has a nylon bushing that presses an O ring into the sector rod hole. DSCF8673.JPG DSCF8674.JPG Very easy to get out with the selector rod removed. Not so easy with it still in place. I can't imagine trying it with the transfer case in the truck. Remove it save the violence and cursing. DSCF8675.JPG and as I mentioned the shift shaft has irregular corroded and worn surface on it and I hope a seal and bushing fix it. Probably will but not 100%. DSCF8672 - Copy.JPG DSCF8673 - Copy.JPG DSCF8674 - Copy.JPG Again the output seal 1 1/8" socket for the nut that holds the 4 bolt flange on the shaft. Use a 28.575 mm socket if you can find one. Some genius told me the transfer case was all metric. I agree for the most part. But the 1 1/8" has worked for 30 + years. DSCF8675 - Copy.JPGDSCF8676 - Copy.JPGDSCF8677 - Copy.JPG And do the job right clean and lightly polish the surfaces that you are going to attempt to reseal. This is not ready to be installed. Clean it well and do it right. DSCF8678 - Copy.JPG
Have a Great Day.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Another potential transmission leak on the stock CUCV. The kick down switch. It is sealed with an O ring. DSCF8666.JPG 3 prongs hold it in the case. The transmission pan must be off to gain access. DSCF8667.JPG DSCF8668.JPG O ringDSCF8669.JPGDSCF8670.JPG And just a parting shot of the transfer case output shaft with the splined rubber that I think is a thread sealer. Hey man Nice shot. I heard Joan Jett will not sing "hit me with your best shot" anymore. WTF? Oh well. XM still plays it.
DSCF8671.JPG
A Chevrolet truck tail gate makes a nice height work area. And it folds up for easy storage. Very portable go anywhere work bench.

Last edited:

GunnyM1009

I've got about 100 photos from tearing down my NP208 mainly because I couldn't find a how to on rebuilding one that went in depth on small things. I am planning on doing a separate thread post with those photos soon on how to rebuild a NP208. This will mainly be for the folks like me who don't like to tackle a project for the first time without having something to reference.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
@GunnyM1009

Step by step with pictures... It will take you hours to post and note those pictures, but that guide will last forever! Can't wait to see it.

---

@cucvrus

THANKS for the pictures! Little notes along with an explanation is great. Sure us useful to know what is on the other end of that piece of plastic when somebody is trying to fix a leak. Thanks for sharing.

I'm hoping to have one of your vehicles one day...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks