• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reg in So Cal?

caladin

Once I get my SF97; should be this week. What do I need to do. I am a AAA member if that matters. Im also in SO Cal. Do I need to have somthing special on my blazer for the DMV to say ok. I also jhave a freind who is a Sherrif if that helps things along.

RDUKW

Hi

you will have to take the truck to AAA for a vin verification, other then that the auto club has been very easy for me to register my trucks. If you are near John Wayne airport go to the one right by there and talk to Kirk.

Ryan

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DDUKW you got lucky. My local AAA would not handle the government to civi transfer/registration. I ended up going to the DMV with my truck and having them inspect it. Registration was easy from that point though.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had great luck. I registered 5 trucks and two trailers. The trailers I did not even have a sf97

Ryan

Kinda' strange; AAA wouldn't handle my M1008, they said it's a DMV only proceedure. So I went to my local Department of Many people waiting long time to register Vehicles, and they gave me a 60-day temp permit, told me to get truck weighed at certified scale, and then visit CHP office for inspection/VIN verification. The CHP required an appointment for this and I waited over 30 days for mine.

Then comes the blind-side kicker: DMV charged me for all penalties from the date the truck was paid for at auction! Won it in late June, cleared EUC by early Sept, then waited 30 days for SF97, BY NOW I'M WELL INTO OCTOBER--- but the DMV agent didn't give a hoot about the timeline--- she just charged me up the ying-yang for late registration fees... and then told me to have a nice day.

Another thing; not sure you will need to do this with a Blazer, but when/if you do the certified weigh-in, empty the truck of everything before you go in there and with as least amount of fuel in the tank as possible. This is another little DMV wallet-empying trick: the vehicle registration is based partly on it's actual weight... another expensive little thing I didn't know--- how's a $221 dollar a year reg fee for a 25 y-o vehicle hit ya'?

Good luck to ya' :wink:

RDUKW

I had the DMV do that on my first truck I registered and they basically said tough luck it goes off of the sale date. The auto club never charged penalties, it was based of of title issue date. Maybe the reason I have had such good luck with AAA is that everything I am registering is for historic plates.

Ryan

Flyingvan911

I think it varies from state to state whether or not AAA can do registration, etc. They use to in Missouri but not any more. I would have the GL guys sign a copy of the paperwork when you pick up the truck to show that you could not take possesion of it for a long period of time. You also might print out the EUC explination from the GL site to show that it can take a while.

RDUKW

It did not even require any bribes, I think he gets a kick every time I come in with something different. In the next week or two he will get a real suprise when I tow my new DUKW over to AAA with the m813 to get it registered. It's always fun to get your truck registered and then tell them you want to register that same truck as a boat :lol:. I did have to teach him what codes to put in the first time, he double checked everything with the DMV hand book and now has no problems getting them done quick.

Ryan

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AAA wouldn't register my M109 in So Cal, but they can probably do a CUCV. Of course it probably depends on which AAA just like it can depend on which DMV. Once I had the vin verified though, the DMV gave me no issues.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the DMV do that on my first truck I registered and they basically said tough luck it goes off of the sale date. The auto club never charged penalties, it was based of of title issue date. Maybe the reason I have had such good luck with AAA is that everything I am registering is for historic plates.

Ryan
Tough luck is right! Trying to argue (reason) with a DMV-type is pointless. Even asking for a so-called supervisor only gets you an endless wait where they figure either you'll just give up and leave or maybe die waiting... either way, it won't matter to them; they got your money.

Ok Ryan, I'll bite: what is involved in getting historic plates for a vehicle? And is it another DMV wallet-emptier like the personal plates?

BTW; remember when Gov. Scwhartz-a-blowhard raised the vehicle reg fees, like doubled, and that was supposed to be temporary? Well since they raised that fee I haven't seen it go back down to what it was before, has anyone else? Is it just me or has nothing changed?

RDUKW

The price to register a vehicle historic is $70 a year and that is it. With historic there is no weight fees but you are not allowed to haul anything either and the use is primarly for display/parades.

Ryan

deuceaid

Banned
I have had great luck. I registered 5 trucks and two trailers. The trailers I did not even have a sf97

Ryan
Hey RDUKW ( or Ryan), to get the vin verified , does the data plate need to be on the dash, a friend of mine got a M109 some time ago from GL but it was missing the plate. I ask cause I bought my m35 already registered historic. He also has some m105s ( one that he is trading me later). thanks Jason /deuceaid

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tony's in Arcadia. They do all the DMV work, verify, go to DMV and mail it to you. No hassles!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks