• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

regearing of cucv

wilsonmotors

ok so i love my new cucv but hate the gears. the stock 3.08's have to go thinking of some 3.90's for more pulling power it will get a lift and 35's later for play but anyone have any ideas on what gear ratio i should run. i will run the stock 31's in town after the lift and the 35's for play i think the 3.90's should b good anyone else regeared there oh9 without swaping the axels?

ODdave

I know this sounds stupid, but my dads oh9 actualy had improved acceleration after lifting it and installing 33's, Just food for thought

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plug and play to your hearts content

Gear Ratio Calculator

Personally, I'd swap in a set of axles from an 08 and then put the gears at 3.73's.

MUCH heavier drive train, including larger axle shafts, and either the 3.53's or the 3.73's are supposed to deliver the best mixture of mpg vs hp... at least that's what a buddy of mine did - he went with 3.53's and loves his gearing now.

With the heavier drive train, it should handle the extra weight of the larger wheels and tires you are seeking.

Plus they would give a solid foundation for your lift, without a doubt.

One of the only negatives I'm aware of is that the rear springs on the 09 are a tad shorter than on the 08. The 'suggested' way is to use the springs and mounts from the 08 and just put them in the correct place and weld the bracket in properly and you are done. The front springs are identical.

sixb

The 1 ton axles (read D60) are lots of $$ I would stick a 10 bolt or 44 in what ever gearing you choose from under any Chevy from 73-91 blazers, suburbans and trucks to 87. Also I would source a rear axle out of a newer model truck with rear disc brakes for the ultimate upgrade.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto OD Dave Ditto:ditto: also your ip might need a refersh rebuild I done several of ip and inj to it was wort the money I have my orignal rebuilt and re timed the IP and you wont now the differnce ontill you do it today ULSD just tear up these IP they are old also is an factor.
But dave I ran 37 12.50 X 16.6 Hummv tire and wow lift to what an differnce and make nice for hwy drives nice to.
I replaced M1008 axles and install with 3:07 gears out first gen dodge man what a ride and in low with 208c tc still good enough to play.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I plan to install 11.00/20 NDT on my M1028 (see my rebuild thread "Kinda got carried away...). I have already done this before in 1985 on an '85 civilian K30, so I know it will work with the correct lift and fender modification. On that '85 civi truck, I changed ratios to 5.13, and it was still geared too high. Question #1 - what is the lowest gear that can be installed in the 14-bolt rear and Dana 60 front axles? Question #2 - where is the best place to purchase the new gears? Question #3 - where is a good place to have the new gears installed professionally? Thanks in advance for your comments.