• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering a HMMWV in CA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haasino

****** UPDATE ******
****** HMMWVs purchased at the GovPlanet auctions have an "off-road only" restriction. Please read the Forum rules and stickies about asking questions ****

Hey all,

Long story short: the company I work for in Southern California is going to be taking delivery of a '91 US Navy surplus M1026/M1044 HMMWV from a defense contractor. The Humvee will have the proper bill of sale and gov't paper trail, as well as a valid Title, upon delivery.

My question here is... do any CA-based HMMWV owners know what kind of bureaucratic nightmare should be expected when we try to get this thing registered through the DMV? I'm anticipating they might refer us to CHP for the inspection... is the supplemental armor gonna raise an issue? The original data plate is still attached inside the driver's door frame, and the bill of sale and Title will use the serial number for the VIN.

Any feedback from members with personal experience is appreciated... both inside CA, and elsewhere; I'm interested in the registration process when the vehicle has a title... not the home-built Humvees.

Thanks,

- Haasino

Last edited by a moderator:

jwaller

you should check over on the G 503 board they have much more hmmwv experience over there. all I have to say is good luck. if you go in telling them it's a hmmwv then unless you are some arm of the govt you should and prob will be refused.

glenn715

If you have a title from another state you shold be ok. You won't have to have it inspected or anything, just paperwork. Of course that all depends on who you get at DMV. Good luck

Haasino

If you have a title from another state you shold be ok. You won't have to have it inspected or anything, just paperwork. Of course that all depends on who you get at DMV. Good luck
That's the response I got over on the G503 forum, as well as from a former coworker who went over to CHP.

The HMMWV is being completely refurbished, so it's Title lists 0 miles on the odometer... I wonder if that will make a difference? My CHP friend seemed to feel that a vehicle with under 7k miles had to be inspected, but he hasn't gone through the vehicle inspection training yet so he wasn't positive.

Either way, thanks for the input.

back read the ( 24v Electrical Questions ) from So-CalM997 or PM WILLWAGNER from SCMVCC.
I'll PM WILLWAGNER if we run into issues with DMV... thanks!

BLK HMMWV

I will be following this .
I hope you can get it through but I bet it will not be listed on the bill of sale as anything but for off highway use from the goverment from now on.
That is were most of the trouble is in getting one registered in Calif with the original military Vin #.
The only ones that I know of that were licenced in Calif using the original Vin#'s were out of the first batch of 85's ,86's and 87's sold at auction back in the early 90's.

Best of luck on your venture.
Please keep us posted.

BH

Haasino

I think your CHP friend is correct. What does the odometer read now and what mileage was put on the bill of sale or title?
The original odometer reads 13,604 miles... but it's had a new 6.2L engine and transmission installed and will have the odometer replaced with one that has 00000 miles. The bill of sale listed 0 miles, and the title should come back with 0 miles listed as well.

I will be following this .
I hope you can get it through but I bet it will not be listed on the bill of sale as anything but for off highway use from the goverment from now on.
That is were most of the trouble is in getting one registered in Calif with the original military Vin #.
The only ones that I know of that were licenced in Calif using the original Vin#'s were out of the first batch of 85's ,86's and 87's sold at auction back in the early 90's.

Best of luck on your venture.
Please keep us posted.

BH
There is no End User Cert or special stipulation that I'm aware of that would restrict the usage... and from what I've researched, the bill of sale is only really necessary to prove ownership, and is only needed by DMV if the vehicle doesn't already have a Title or SF97 form (Which only the vehicles in the Barstow/Atlanta Humvees-for-Helicopters auctions had from what I've heard).

This specific HMMWV was set aside by the Navy and cannibalized for parts... then was sold off as residue to a local defense contractor, so there was no "off-road use only" clause that I'm aware of. The actual titling is being done as part of the refurbishing contract my company signed.

Either way, I'll keep you guys updated with the titling and CA registration process.

And here's an off-topic question for the experts: if the HMMWV is originally configured as an M1026, but has the up-armored doors installed, does it become an M1044? What exactly are the differences between the M1026 and M1044 besides the doors?

Also, here are a few photos of the M1026 in it's current dilapidated state (And no, those wheels are not going to be on when it's complete):

Attachments

jwaller

the problem you are going to find is that AM general sent a letter to every states attorney general telling them that the hmmwv is not road legal and to NOT title or tag them for road use no matter what your title will say. the legit title I have from my prev owner now is stamped across the front "not for road use do not register". and they will not budge.

there are other ways to skin this cat. with what you are doing you could go the homebuilt route and see if that works for you. you could also modify your vin to resemble an H1 and see if they go for that.

Haasino

the problem you are going to find is that AM general sent a letter to every states attorney general telling them that the hmmwv is not road legal and to NOT title or tag them for road use no matter what your title will say. the legit title I have from my prev owner now is stamped across the front "not for road use do not register". and they will not budge.
I recall seeing a copy of a letter sent to the Connecticut DMV in response to a specific inquiry they made... but I never heard of AM General sending out a blanket letter to all state AGs... and for that matter, I'd have to wonder if a simple letter would dictate vehicle registration laws and procedures. I've seen photos of a handful of HMMWVs registered in CA, as well as numerous others in other states.

Care to share more specifics on your HMMWV? How was it titled by the previous owner? Was it an SF97 form, or was it a rebuild that they took to be titled? And when and where was it titled?

Haasino

You might want to consider a private Dmv service. I used one when I got my Deuce, best $50 I've spent in a while.
That's the consensus I've been getting here... sounds like the way to go in order to avoid dealing with an misinformed DMV employee.

Jones

If you're in for an inspection make it as easy for them as possible. Locate the VIN on the frame and make sure it's clearly legible (I take a rubbing of the number, and border it with a lumber crayon).

Make sure you have all the necessary paperwork in hand and filled out correctly.
In California, any sworn law enforcement officer (CHP, city P.D., county sheriff) or DMV employee can verify a VIN. If you're on speaking terms with one, so much the better.

Politely walk them through the form; showing the frame VIN location, the dash plate, etc. will make it go smoother and they won't have time to become frustrated and get an attitude.

PM me if you need more info.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
there are other ways to skin this cat. with what you are doing you could go the homebuilt route and see if that works for you. you could also modify your vin to resemble an H1 and see if they go for that.[/quote]

:shock::shock:I caution against even thinking about modifying a vehicle identification number. Most of the DMV folks aren't as dumb as they look/act!!

Besides that's just wrong IMO.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks