• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering a Hmmwv in California

ela rover

Has anyone had trouble, recently, registering a Humvee in Calif?

i was Just told, by DMV, that they are no longer registering them any more due too their road worthiness.

has anybody had this issue?

ela rover

True! But ca. Dmv has been changing the rules on a monthly basis ( from what it looks like). Before you could register defenders and hummers. Two yrs ago they 86'd defenders. Now just recently they are not registering Hmmwv!

erasedhammer

Got mine registered in cali.

I would suggest going to different dmvs and maybe go out into the country.
The dmv I was at basically didn't care and gave me plates within hours of first showing up.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be a road trip from E.L.A. to Yreka, but as erasedhammer mentioned try the more rural dmv's I've heard of people having better luck registering their vehicle out there.

Last edited:

papakb

I'd be willing to bet that every registration is a story all it's own. There are so many variables when trying to do this starting with the basic paperwork you have with your vehicle. Then you have to deal with the broad spectrum of DMV employees. Your going to find lenient DMVs, strict DMVs, new employees with no experience and long time employees who actually know what their doing. It's always a crapshoot no matter what state your in.

pcarexpress

I agree with Pabakb. I registered my HMMWV in California with very little trouble. Albeit, 6 months ago. I installed a license plate bracket with lights, Brake and lamp inspection done by local state certified garage, VIN verification by CHP and I was done. Never ask about back up lights or anything. By the same token, when I tried to title my 5 ton 6 weeks ago. it took no less than 4 trips to the DMV before they referred me to CHP to verify that there was only one serial number on the truck. Apparently, there is a place for two numbers on the DMV form and going up through the ranks at DMV none of them---not even the "supervisor" could figure out what to do about there only being one serial number. They eventually sent me to the same CHP guy that verified my HMMWV and I was done in 15 minutes. It's just luck of the draw on who you get at DMV.
Id say don't get too frustrated. Just play dumb and try again at another office if you're getting questionable information.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Pabakb. I registered my HMMWV in California with very little trouble. Albeit, 6 months ago. I installed a license plate bracket with lights, Brake and lamp inspection done by local state certified garage, VIN verification by CHP and I was done. Never ask about back up lights or anything. By the same token, when I tried to title my 5 ton 6 weeks ago. it took no less than 4 trips to the DMV before they referred me to CHP to verify that there was only one serial number on the truck. Apparently, there is a place for two numbers on the DMV form and going up through the ranks at DMV none of them---not even the "supervisor" could figure out what to do about there only being one serial number. They eventually sent me to the same CHP guy that verified my HMMWV and I was done in 15 minutes. It's just luck of the draw on who you get at DMV.
Id say don't get too frustrated. Just play dumb and try again at another office if you're getting questionable information.
Because DMV is stupid and can't read or even fill out there own forms correctly....the vin location section of a calif vin verification form states: vin/eng "mark both if motorcycle", says nothing about 2 locations required for autos

tage

Because DMV is stupid and can't read or even fill out there own forms correctly....the vin location section of a calif vin verification form states: vin/eng "mark both if motorcycle", says nothing about 2 locations required for autos
Only thing to add.... Yes. Yes they cannot fill out their own forms correctly. Know how many times I have had a sale price written in as the odometer mileage? Know how many times I have pulled up statute to get the correct weight charge. Bunch

Government job man.

Jnicks805

I did have trouble, I'm located in Ventura County and was only able to get Historical Plates for my m998. They list usage as Primarily used for: parades, historical car club activities...etc.
That said, I've joined a Historical HMMWV Club that meets up here in Ventura County weekly and posts various historical car club activities weekly for the HMMWV enthusiast. This week is "Drive you HMMWV to work week". The website for the club is www.CAHistoricalHMMWVClub.com, membership is free but they do expect you to participate in events and volunteer when available. Has anybody successfully registered in Ventura County here? If so I'd sure like to learn more.

Action

That's why I joined the CHHC - www.CAhistoricalhmmwvclub.com, if anybody would like to start a chapter in their town, contact them, that way you can create a historical car club activity whenever you and your members please.
So, while the officer is walking up to you, you are calling every humvee owner you know to go have lunch with you at mcd's. Because that is where your meeting is that day?

Action

That's why I joined the CHHC - www.CAhistoricalhmmwvclub.com, if anybody would like to start a chapter in their town, contact them, that way you can create a historical car club activity whenever you and your members please.
Reminds me of a ski club I joined in college. We never had any kind of meeting, but we got discounts at slopes all over the country.
Are you saying, by joining thos club, you can drive on the road?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well what if the judge asks for the minutes of the meetings where planning of these "events" took place , I don't think "flash mob" displays will count.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks