• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering a Hmmwv in California

Jnicks805

Reminds me of a ski club I joined in college. We never had any kind of meeting, but we got discounts at slopes all over the country.
Are you saying, by joining thos club, you can drive on the road?
The form here in CA specifically states that you can drive as part of Historic Vehicle Club Activity, so provided you're meeting with your members you're taking part in one. No need to explain to an officer rather than showing them that you're in route to your meeting. I'm also part of a classic car club (own a 64 triumph spitfire with rover v8) and we also have members with these plates that come to those meetings in their classic cars with historical plates. Also the key word in the word here is "primarily".

"Issued to a motor vehicle manufactured after 1922, which is at least 25 years old and of historic interest. Vehicle is primarily driven in historical exhibitions, parades, or historic vehicle club activities"

You can drive with historic plates on road. And it is not limited provided it's primarily used for the above. Also a historic vehicle club activity does not require that all members drive their historic vehicles, you can drive in your historic vehicle to your historic car club activity/event if you feel like it. Our club does meet up, though I only go to a meeting once a month or so but yes I drive my HMMWV. If it came down to it, i'm glad to show a judge or officer the event i'm heading to. That's what these plates were created for.

Other valid reasons would be "hello officer, I primarily use the car in for car club activities but needed to test my new fuel pump so I decided to take her for a spin and make sure she's ready for our next event". Provided it's true, you're in the clear.

I'm not saying break the law or even bend it, but join, find some like minded people in your area and form a chapter, or your own club for that matter. Organize a car show here and there, take some pictures, show that's your primary use.

Also even if you were the only one to drive that day, that doesnt mean you're not taking place in a historic vehicle club activity, you just need to be prepared to show it. Even if that were to be an issue, you still have the term "Primarily" on your side.

We're in talks right now of making a club calendar for instance, that said the plan is to do a few off roading trips and collect all the pictures to make the calendar. This is a Historic Vehicle Club activity.

Get a group together, plan some events, enjoy your historic vehicle!

Jnicks805

So, while the officer is walking up to you, you are calling every humvee owner you know to go have lunch with you at mcd's. Because that is where your meeting is that day?
Where does it say you cant stop at MCD's on your way to your historic car club activity? We meet at a mexican food place next to my work sometimes, I drive it into work and go right after as it's "primarily" being used for a historic vehicle club activity.

Jnicks805

Well what if the judge asks for the minutes of the meetings where planning of these "events" took place , I don't think "flash mob" displays will count.
Flash mob? Or car show? Or club fundraiser??? Really doesnt concern them. The club can create a separate page for your chapter and members, assign a writer/ club leader/ club chief. The leader can write in your events and inform your members. If a judge were to ask, show them the meeting announcement, there you can clearly see the time of the meetings and there on that page would be the planning of the event. I highly doubt it would ever come to that though as that's what these plates are for.

If you were to never take it on a road, why would you need a historic plate to begin with?

Action

Flash mob? Or car show? Or club fundraiser??? Really doesnt concern them. The club can create a separate page for your chapter and members, assign a writer/ club leader/ club chief. The leader can write in your events and inform your members. If a judge were to ask, show them the meeting announcement, there you can clearly see the time of the meetings and there on that page would be the planning of the event. I highly doubt it would ever come to that though as that's what these plates are for.

If you were to never take it on a road, why would you need a historic plate to begin with?
Did you just say that prior to your court date, the club leader will make up a flyer for an event showing the date you got pulled over? To prove you were going to an event?

Jnicks805

Did you just say that prior to your court date, the club leader will make up a flyer for an event showing the date you got pulled over? To prove you were going to an event?
HAHAHA, not quite. The event would need to be created before hand of course! Dont need a flyer though, not all car club activities are public or public knowledge even. I'd make my event, see who else would like to go, and snap a picture/screenshot of the post and invite just in case I did need something for show and tell later. Though, that's really not necessary as long as the primary use is for the reasons stated on the form.

In the classic car club i'm part of too, we just get together to work on a members car from time to time. Which is a car club activity as well.

All this being said, if there are members here on Steel Soldiers out of Ventura County, I'd like to invite you to one of our events! PM me for details!

Jnicks805

Just read your response a little better, sorry I didnt address first time around. The CHHC is a car club, and it has a forum where you as a member can post your plans/events. So no need to print flyers, just make your event in advance and see who else would like to participate. When I stated "the club can create a separate page for your chapter and members" I meant that if you have a group of enthusiasts that want to start your own chapter, you can request your own blog space or Forum page to discuss your events, thats all!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks