• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering an M1078 in Washington State

Amer-team

The VIN is probably a matter of definition as you do have a serial number on the data plate. Look on WSP website, FAQ's. First question is about VIN numbers, where it says that a VIN is a unique Serial number. Be patient and read the rules, you will prevail.

rpsip

Were you successful in registering it? According to Washington's DOL web site, military tactical vehicles don't need to conform with emissions standards. See http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/cleancar.html. However, neither the RCW nor the WAC referenced at that page say anything about that so I don't know if they mean even if the vehicle is registered for civilian use. You can probably point them to plenty of literature saying that your truck belongs to the military's Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles (FMTV)! Are there any service places

rpsip

Have there been any recent successes in getting plates for M1078s in Washington state? I'm thinking about buying one and so stopped by the licensing office in Redmond (WA). The clerk looked up the vehicle online, asked me why in the world I'd want to buy one, phoned Olympia, and then politely informed me that ex-military vehicles (even if demilitarized) couldn't be registered in WA state. "Even if it's not a Hummer," according to the paper-pusher and her higher-ups he spoke with in Olympia. I don't want to buy one if I can't drive it on roads and freeways to get to where I really want to go!

MrGoodwreck

Have there been any recent successes in getting plates for M1078s in Washington state? I'm thinking about buying one and so stopped by the licensing office in Redmond (WA). The clerk looked up the vehicle online, asked me why in the world I'd want to buy one, phoned Olympia, and then politely informed me that ex-military vehicles (even if demilitarized) couldn't be registered in WA state. "Even if it's not a Hummer," according to the paper-pusher and her higher-ups he spoke with in Olympia. I don't want to buy one if I can't drive it on roads and freeways to get to where I really want to go!
There absolutely are ways to register these vehicles.

I'm a 911 Dispatcher, and have seen them in the system before..

Tell them to quit yanking your chain, and call ACCESS...( They will know what that is).

Nomadic

Try outside King county. I wouldn't want to drive one in Redmond or Bellevue unless I'm headed out of town and never come back. The cops will absolutely pull you over.

rpsip

Thanks DiverDarrell - can you share with me how recently you did this and what sequence of steps you took? Did you buy the vehicle at an auction or from someone who already had a plate in a different state?

Thanks MrGoodwreck - I'm not sure who he called in Olympia - he made it seem like some yucketyucks there. I'll probably try a different office to see what they say and will ask them to call ACCESS if they seem like they're just blowing me off.

Nomadic - sounds like you're familiar with the area even though your profile says you're in NV. I have several motivations for getting the vehicle: (1) it just looks cool and I've never driven a diesel (with or without air brakes); (2) I can use it to haul stuff that my SUV can't load; (3) I own some stores as part of a national network of franchised stores and we're always doing stuff for vets and active duty - this may be a way I can market to customers at the same time (e.g., by parking it in front of one of the stores for a couple of days while displaying the stars & stripes with some sort of a "Thank you" salutation to our heroes; (4) maybe eventually convert it to an RV as I approach my golden years.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try outside King county. I wouldn't want to drive one in Redmond or Bellevue unless I'm headed out of town and never come back. The cops will absolutely pull you over.
It's not that bad. I drive and park a M923 all the time in Kirkland, Redmond, Bellevue.

Now, I've had people get so angry that their wife dragged them away, but 98% of the response is positive. When I park it at work I was averaging 15 selfies a day while I was there. (Left a GoPro running with a large enough card to cover 12+ hours)

I'd try the office in Yelm. If nothing else Brad has likely got them up to speed on process.

Priapism

I live out by DiverDarrell and had zero problem registering my 1078 in Silverdale. Had the bill of sale and I forgot what the Gov form was that was equivalent as a gov title. Was in and out of there in about 1/2 hour. Registered it as a commercial vehicle for private use.

Nomadic

Nomadic - sounds like you're familiar with the area even though your profile says you're in NV. I have several motivations for getting the vehicle: (1) it just looks cool and I've never driven a diesel (with or without air brakes); (2) I can use it to haul stuff that my SUV can't load; (3) I own some stores as part of a national network of franchised stores and we're always doing stuff for vets and active duty - this may be a way I can market to customers at the same time (e.g., by parking it in front of one of the stores for a couple of days while displaying the stars & stripes with some sort of a "Thank you" salutation to our heroes; (4) maybe eventually convert it to an RV as I approach my golden years.
I lived in Redmond for a better part of 14 years, but also lived 1/2 block from Green Lake also Bellevue and Woodinville. It wasn't so bad pre-911. Driving around in late model Corvettes didn't help, but it sure was fun. It's the profiling that sucks. I confess I have not driven a military vehicle there so I wouldn't know how that would be. Maybe the driver wouldn't be seen as a money bag for the city.

snowtrac nome

Out where the gov plannet site is I just drove in picked up my rig and drove out, Asked Justin where I got temp plates his answer was just drive it, unless you are involved in an accident they aren't going to pull you over. Once I got back on the highway I noticed how many ft lewis rigs were on the road, and understood what Justin was talking about. As for the temp tags it was walk in and pay the fee and pick them up. Final registration and plates didn't happen til I got the truck to ak, that was more of a battle but one I won easily when I demanded a call to a supervisor. I don't condone Driving around with out plates and insurance in my case I had only days to do pickup and drop off at the barge company before I had to get on a plane and scoot home again.

Niuhi

Okay, for those in Washington state I would love to hear recent transfers of LMTV titles. I just struck out in Lynden. I was told after the agent had been on the phone with someone in Olympia for a good 20 minutes that these would not be allowed to be registered for on street use and could only be registered for off-road. My thinking was that its a small town and used to unusual vehicles being in farming country, plus that's where my route was for the day "NOT". Obviously that isn't working for me so I'm going to try again somewhere else. A couple of the guys on here said they had no problems when they did theirs in Silverdale, so I'm going to grab the ferry and go over there today. Sure hope it works because I'm not real excited about having an LMTV for a yard ornament. I'll let everyone know how it goes, but don't bother trying up in Lynden.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Talk to them, explain what it is and what it’s not. Have photos, use fmtv sales photos of a more civilian looking one. And be ready to spend money as we get charged weight. I licensed mine for 24k. Good luck

Niuhi

So just got back from Silverdale, thank god for DiverDarrell being insistent that this was the place to go. Walked in and went right to a counter. The woman that helped me was really nice. I handed her the title and invoice and said I wanted to transfer a title. She took the documents and did a once over and then began the process. First off was the vin. Of course on our title its ID and its a few digits short. She asked if there was more and I said that's what it was and she typed it in. There is one guy in there and he is obviously familiar with the military vehicles because when she wasn't sure about the ID number he said to her "it's because it's a military vehicle". Then came the make. Now if someone else is doing a transfer when they ask for make it's ST ST, at least in Silverdales system, Short obviously for Stewart and Stevenson. The vehicle is registered as a cargo truck and then as a straight truck. Gross weight as DiverDarrell said is 24k. The one sticking point was when it came to my residence (King County) because now it required an emission test. Well to my knowledge they don't emission test commercial vehicles, especially diesels. So what we ended up doing to exempt the testing was to register it under "Vehicles garaged and operated outside the emission testing area, but registered to owners who live within it". Kind of a gray area, but we didn't know how to get around the whole emission testing. This could very well be true too, since I may be leaving it up in rural Whatcom at some point, but for now I'm happy. Last, but not least you'll pay for the tonnage. So now I sit here looking at where I'm going to mount these pretty new plates and want to take a moment to thank those that made suggestions. Thanks all.

Amer-team

Am taking my second try for an M923A2. First time a year ago, was told that we don't register Military trucks in WA. this will be for a title in doubt, due to the man passing away before he could start the process and his estate not being about to find the bill of sale and SF 97. Wish me luck. All paperwork is in order, so hopefully it goes through this time. Know what you mean about the yard ornament.

Niuhi

If you have any problems with the second attempt I would think seriously about trying Silverdale. They have done at least 3 and mine was done this last weekend. I didn't feel in the least bit like they weren't going to get it done and the guy in there was very knowledgeable. Good luck though.

spankybear

Start8ing the processes of getting mine registered... They would not do it with just the bill of sale / invoice. So I call up GP to get a 97... WOW they charge 50 bucks plus tax... I miss the old days where the .gov just gave them to you when you asked. Anyway did you people in Washington have to weigh your LMTV? I know they go by scale weight for fees and if I need to weight it I am taking off as much as I can off the bed.

Amer-team

They do require a scale weight. At least with a GP Bill of sale and SF97 you shouldn't have any problem, unless is says for off road use only. if it says that, find a different way. If it is a clean SF 97 you should walk in pay your money and walk out with a license. My problem is on an M923A2. I don't have the bill of sale and Sr form as the guy that bought it, brought it home and died and the family can't find the paperwork. GP goes by barcode and the sticker was peeled off so can't find it that way. Some fun, but if we get it worked out with the local DOL shop, we could blaze a way for others in the MV hobby.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks