• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering an M1078 in Washington State

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For scale weight I gave them the weight from the Tm and data panel. The to save money I registered it at 24k vs 26k. When I want to get heavy I’ll get a trip permit.

Amer-team

They would probably be fine with that. I got a slip this time as I didn't want to take any chances. my truck weights 21,500 and they told me they would have to register it at 34,000. Not sure why I couldn't have gone at 24,000. A lot of it is up to the interpretation of the person that is doing it.

jmumme

Just got my M1078 registration and thought I’d share the experience in case it helps. Went to the Canyon Park DOL office in Bothell. With the GP paperwork they were able to do the title easily. Commercial vehicle for personal use. Their staff understood licensing military vehicles. However, they wouldn’t let me around the emissions testing for registration. I tried the argument from another thread about using it outside the county or what not, but they said I have to have an residence/address to do that. With trepidation, I took it to get emissions tested...it passed. So I was able to get it registered and now legal.

vampeel

I just got myself a 1952 m211. It was previously(currently) registered as a collector vehicle. Well I went to licensing office and they almost let me transfer the title, but they needed the fair market value so they could charge me with sales tax. The bill of sale wouldn't cut it, and she could not find the fair market value on her computer. At the end should told me it needed to be appraised.
Now how do I an appraisal to a 7 ton truck that does not work.

coachgeo

I just got myself a 1952 m211. It was previously(currently) registered as a collector vehicle. Well I went to licensing office and they almost let me transfer the title, but they needed the fair market value so they could charge me with sales tax. The bill of sale wouldn't cut it, and she could not find the fair market value on her computer. At the end should told me it needed to be appraised.
Now how do I an appraisal to a 7 ton truck that does not work.
call liscence office... they should have list of approved appraisers or have a record of what makes someone an "approved appraiser" could be a local certified mechanic is all you need. Don't know till you ask them

Amer-team

Just did a search for M211's for sale. There are several out there. You didn't say what you paid, but I saw trucks from 800 to 1500 in a very quick search. I would think you could print a few of those out to show to them to establish a price point.

Also Alpine License in Issaquah is a good resource - I have gotten them used to doing oddball stuff - I even worked through a year of "No's" to get my LVT-4 titled and licensed as a boat after getting the USCG to register it as a documented vessel.

All of my 6x6 rigs, trailers, and ORV stuff has gone through their office - the manager, asst manager, and one clerk are well up to speed on what you can and cannot do with surplus rigs.

Even one of my Cletrac High Speed Tractors is registered with WA Collector plates.

Currently trying to figure out how to register the M29 weasel since it's not really falling into ORV, UTV, or Snowmachine classes very well... But we'll figure it out once I have some more time to play around with the RCW's

I drive my 6x6's all around the eastside and down to Pier 91 and South Lake Union all the time with absolutely no issue - even while hauling a trailer or cargo be stuffed full of marine diesel components and machinery - just secure your load and drive courteous!

Last edited:

vampeel

To continue.
I went down to Bothell dept. of revenue and spoke with ladies there. I was pleasant and they had fun looking at picture of deuces. They did a Google search and NADA search, they ended up agreeing with my price and I paid taxes right then. No appraisal fees or any other headaches. Now my deuce is registered and ready to roll.

spankybear

I think that if the state will not take your bill of sale at the value and they value it more... the state should be willing to buy it from you for the value they say... this drives me crazy...

Amer-team

Have often thought that should be the law on property tax in this state as well. Most of us probably don't go out to find another vehicle at the highest possible price we can pay. We are looking for what we perceive to be a deal and if we find it, we buy it.

Ronmar

Just got my M1078 registration and thought I’d share the experience in case it helps. Went to the Canyon Park DOL office in Bothell. With the GP paperwork they were able to do the title easily. Commercial vehicle for personal use. Their staff understood licensing military vehicles. However, they wouldn’t let me around the emissions testing for registration. I tried the argument from another thread about using it outside the county or what not, but they said I have to have an residence/address to do that. With trepidation, I took it to get emissions tested...it passed. So I was able to get it registered and now legal.
Jmumme, mind telling us what it cost? Just bid on one, looking at what it will cost me if I win:)

bwadswor

Having a bit of a rough time getting registered in Washington... (bought from govplanet)

Apparently WA has a new system (as of early sept. if I understand correctly) that lists our trucks as specifically not passing FMVSS. (or it might just not list them which in turn is assumed to mean not passing FMVSS?). use of said system is now apparently required during registration, so they assert every lic. office will tell us the same thing. (in fact one office knew that i'd already visited another office as there are now notes on my vin. :-|)

I've read that there is some type of an FMVSS exclusion that comes with the vehicle since it was a decommissioned military truck.. and that since I have clean sf-97 paperwork I should be okay in regards to fmvss. Case law of a bunch being registered apparently doesnt have sway... Thoughts?
any ideas/thoughts would help here.
(pm me if you don't want to speak broadly on this...)

not seeking legal advice, just curious for what people know...

thanks!

Amer-team

I was not successful with my June re-inspection of the 1991 M923A2. It did get inspected and the inspector wrote down Serial number, even though the data plate says Identification number, then he put a note that there was no VIN. He also said that it did not meet the FMVSS and has no tag in the door frame on this, like your civy car. According to The FMVSS code if the vehicle is over 25 years old it is exemp from meeting the code. There is a Guidance letter in one of the threads from FMVSS people that the Humvee, 2 1/2 ton and 5 tons do meet road worthiness as they were designed for 60 percent on highway driving. It think there is a myth out there about these vehicles that is being perpetuated about various safety issues. Two days ago I sent the inspector this information on the CFR code and Guidance letter and I am waiting for a response. Have not gone over anyone's head yet and am trying to put forth logical and measured responses. I also think we should put together some legislative language to add Historic Military Vehicles to the states collector vehicle language and get it to our legislators for consideration. I am going to work on this, modeling it on other states already enacted laws. There is no fiscal note associated with this language as we already pay for plates and tonnage on them, if they let us register them. Right now if I do license, it will cost another 400 for tonnage fee. A trip permit is 30 and good for 3 days. Seems like the way to go and save a bunch of money.

Amer-team

I did get registration started as an Off Road Vehicle. I asked the lady, how many 21,000 pound off road vehicles they register. It isn't her fault, she is following the rules on what they are telling her. It is interesting about what they started in September as I applied before that.

snowtrac nome

I think a lot of this is coming from the commercial vehicle lobby, that is having a hard time selling rigs with tier 4 emissions, while the market is flooded with second hand military vehicles coming up for sale. I hope my state doesn't adopt some of these stupid laws, I do use mine commercially, along with a lot of others that operate on unimproved roads here in my state. military vehicles have been the mainstay of mining and exploration fleets here in AK.

Amer-team

If it already has a license, you should be in good shape, but if you don't, it may be a hassle. I have talked with a couple of my state representatives and floated the idea of adding an Historical Military Vehicle section. They weren't opposed. Was talking with another one of the guys and he said if we had language his Rep. would sponsor it.

Ronmar

Well that will be depressing if I cannot license mine. Went to do it in September but WA will not license a cab and chassis, so I need to put a bed on it before I can try again. They didnt mention anything about FMVSS issues and even gave me the GVW weight cert form for when I brought in pics of the truck with a bed on it... Hope this isn’t going to be a problem...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks