• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering Deuce in Arkansas

ARYankee

A little info for those members in Arkansas that want to register your deuces. I had talked to the revenue office on and off since I had purchased my deuce, boy that was an enlightening experience. What I found out was:

The whole 30 days to register your vehicle is the same as before but you can have an exception if you can't get it done. I explained to the supervisor at the Benton office of my situation with having to wait until I could have physical custody of my deuce once the EUC cleared. There is a form you will have to fill out stating that you did not drive it until said date when you took receipt of it.

Insurance was a slight pain in the backside for me because there isn't hardly anyone that will touch it. I ended up with State Farm with a personal commercial policy that covers me to drive it anytime I want.

Now I spent the $60 for an SF-97 from GL. I would highly recommend that because they can't really give you a reason not to give you your tags. They almost did me that way today. I gave them my signed paid invoice, SF-97, letter that came with SF-97, and proof of insurance along with proof of paid property taxes and assessment of deuce. They had a difficult time with understanding the SF-97 but I explained how it went and they finally got the big picture.

I ended up with antique tags, which is cheap to renew each year. They did say I can't carry anything over 1,000 lbs with those tags.

All in all my advice would be to give your local revenue office a call and speak with the manager first and explain what is going on. It helped me considerably today because I spoke with ours several times before I registered the deuce. If anyone has any questions just pm me and I would be glad to help.

SoylentGreen

I just got mine registered too. Did the same on insurance, State Farm commercial policy but they wouldn't let me get antique tags because they said it was too heavy. Had to get regular truck tags. This was in Hot Springs.

ARYankee

Wow.... Couldn't get antique tags. The supervisor at the Benton Office had to call someone else to verify that I could. I figure it would be different depending on which office you go to plus the fact that they really don't deal with us MVers much. I tried to research it the best that I could and couldn't find anything useful on their website so that is when I started calling with all my questions. Who knows she may have messed up and given me the wrong tags. It seems like they were winging it anyways which is always reassuring.

combat32

Fixin to start this adventure as well, mine is already titled in Oklahoma so shouldn't be a big deal.I was going to go for the antique tags as well, I'm with Farm Bureau and they told me over the phone that they would cover the truck, but still need to go by their office and verify.

jasonjc

I'm in AR too and have 3 truck with the antique tags. They too tried to tell me the truck was too big/heavy. But the ONLY thin about wieght in the law is that you can not carry more than 1000lbs , NOT that it could. And as far as cheap to renew, well there is NO renewal on the antique tags , it's a one time thing. And for any of you vetrens they have a tag for us too and it is only $3.00 a year.:-D

waayfast

I had to chuckle-----calling it the revenue office rather than the DMV or Public Safety---at least they are honest about it--IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! Maybe call it "The PITA Bureau of Revenue Enhanchment!

hvacman

I just got my Deuce registered here in Arkansas about 2 months ago. Man it was a pain. I own a business, so it was better for me to go with commercial insurance and commercial tags. I live up here in N.E. Arkansas in clay county, and no matter how much paperwork I go into the revenue office with, it never seems like it's enough to satisfy them.

ARYankee

Yeah, They are very fickle. I was about to go off on the lady yesterday because she was just giving so much crap. First it was that the VIN wasn't on my bill of sale then it was that the amount on the bill of sale didn't match what was on the SF-97. I finally told her that this was a bunch of BS and why does it matter what price I paid for it because it was less than $2500 and they couldn't tax me. Well she gave me the "it's the law" thing. Just when I was about to give up they started pulling their heads out of their butts for some fresh air. I knew I would have a tough time and that is why I tried my best to do my research ahead of time so it wouldn't happen. That's why I posted this to warn any of my fellow MVers in Arkansas that you may have some issues.

ARYankee

I'm going to try and make some phone calls next week and see what I can find out for sure as far as the options of registering and tagging our MVs here in Arkansas. Then I'll put all that info together and see if we can't put it under the resources for future use.

combat32

I would suggest you tell them as little as possible, I didn't even mention that is an Army truck, no questions about weight,mine was already titled in Oklahoma by the previous owner so it was less splainin from the get go, so for me 14.50 out the door for an antique plate, I am good to go!

Last edited:

ARYankee

I don't know if they are all that concerned with the weight. I'll make some calls tomorrow since I'll be off and see what I can find out. Hopefully it will be clear as mud and some others out.

ARYankee

Here is a little follow up to this issue. Here is what I have:

To register vehicles released by the U.S. Government you must have a SF-97 form, the invoice is not enough. Please see following instructions:

TITLE AND REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES RELEASED BY THE U.S. GOVERNMENT

A. Requirements

1. The United States Government Certificate to Obtain Title to a Vehicle must be submitted; (Example
following pages)

OR

If a vehicle is being released by The Arkansas Federal Surplus Property Agency, the Arkansas Federal
Surplus Property Agency Certificate of Release of a Motor Vehicle (effective January 1, 1995). The
Arkansas Federal Surplus Property Agency received approval from the U.S. General Services Administration
on November 8, 1984 to release vehicles using this certificate. It is acceptable for title and registration of
U.S. Government vehicles by the Arkansas Federal Surplus Property Agency only.

2. The transferee listed on the Arkansas Federal Surplus Property Agency certificate must apply for title and
registration.

3. In the absence of a place to reassign, the transferee listed on the United States Government Certificate to
Obtain Title to a Vehicle may reassign the vehicle to a new purchaser on a bill of sale.

a. The transferee listed on the United States Government Certificate to Obtain Title to a Vehicle form, may
apply for title and registration and submit this form or reassign on a bill of sale to a new purchaser.

4. Other documents and fees are the same as normally required for title and registration.

As for antique vehicles there is no weight restrictions. Motor Vehicle must be 25 years old or older. Must be maintained or restored as closely as reasonably possible to the manufacturer’s original specifications. You must also have another vehicle registered in your name for regular transportation.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Terry J. Kersey
Manager, Direct Services
Office of Motor Vehicles
Charles D. Ragland Building, Room 2043
Phone: (501) 683-4625

I hope this helps. At least there is some one you know you can contact if there are anymore questions.

ARYankee

No problem. I've been meaning to post this info for a while now. I also have her email address in case anyone needs it. Hopefully it will help.

Last edited:

SNAFU 7665

The only problem I had was had to get local leo to verify my Id/vin plate cause the lady at the revenue office said my title was invalid :-x so had to go hunt down local cop to sign piece of paper verifying all info was indeed correct, went back to revenue office paid showed her piece of paper and out I was with tags

ARYankee

Hopefully at some point I will have a guide made for us and newbies. I am going to be working with an Arkansas State rep. He is going to get me in touch with someone that can give me as much info as possible to make this happen. I also spoke with this individual about possibly coming up with a retired MV registration category. I'm not going to hose us like what happened in WI. We spoke for a while about the hobby and all the good that some of the folks do. He was totally on our side so that is a plus. he even wanted to ride in it when county fair parade time rolls around. I'm not much on politics and supporting certain candidates with my MV but if he will be a strong ally, I will make an exception. So hopefully I will make some progress on this and report back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks